People you don't listen to an things that annoy you on your LHJ

washize

So who are the type of people you don't listen to on your long hair care journey? And what are some annoying things on your journey?

I don't listen to bald headed people. Most of the time I don't listen to people who have a completely diffrent texture of hair than mine, unless it is about protective styling and they have (what I consider) long healthy hair. I also don't listen to people who's hair is shorter than mine, and I cannot see how healthy it is.

One major thing that annoys me is how random people always ask about my hair, and explain how they can't go natural, as if I care. I hate when people constantly ask for advice and never take it or take what they want, and say it doesn't work for them. For example my mom takes bits and peices of information I tell her about my Haircare journey. I was telling her about egg treatments, and she does one 3 times a week, and her hair is dry and brittle. I keep telling her, that her hair needs moisture, and that she has protien overload, but she just won't listen.

Lastl\y I hate how my sisters and my mom just use my products because they see how long and healthy my hair is, and they want hair like mine, but they don't want to put the work in to get nice hair. Nor do they replace my products:wallbash:

Kneechay

i don't listen to people who have no edges

and i dont listen to people who always have something in their hair, like weave/braids/etc, always in styles I can't see the health of their actual hair.

lovely_locks

I listen to anyone with healthy hair, long or short. I also listen to those who are natural or relaxed or have a different texture. Just as long as their hair is healthy. I don't listen to those who have unhealthy hair long or short.

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
I don't listen to my mom. She said im to young to be wearing wigs.....im 30 :lachen::lachen::lachen:what only old people wear wigs?
When i chopped off my hair she got mad at me but now she says oh look it's growing back.....yes, yes hair does grow back i knew that.
And I pretty much stopped going to the hairdresser they did nothing but sabotage my hair. They don't care as long as that money is in their pockets.

ms.blue

I have a friend who tells me that I can't use certain products b/c I don't have that type of hair ("good hair"). She uses pink lotion and baby oil on her & daughter's hair and is wondering why her and her daughter hair is dry and breaking.:nono:. I bought her sample sizes of aohc & brbc and also gave cocolatte to help with her and her daughter's dryness but she said it didn't work. I wrote this in the juice challenge how she was commenting on my hair (not in a good way) and I told her that I was using wave nouveau which she proceeded to tell me it not for my type of hair but I saw she had carefree in her bathroom. I also suggested to dc her daughter's hair but she said no. So now, when she complains, I refuse to listen b/c her daughter is 4 yrs old w/ shoulder length hair (been that length forever) & I'm been natural for two years and I'm almost apl (was apl b4 I trimmed too many times).

ladysaraii

I don't listen to people without healthy hair unless their hair has made some marked improvement. you know, it was tore up but w/ some hard work it's getting better. B/c then I like to hear what they have done.

I do sometimes like to listen to people w/ jacked up hair, not for advice but for avoidance tips. Ex, you stay in some micros but your edges are none existant. Let's me know the risks of certain things.

boundlessbeauty

Trying to adopt a little from everyone who has the hair length and health I want to achieve. My hair thrives from....basically "letting it be". My hair likes to be moisturized and left alone for the most part. I've been "juicing" and wearing my hair in a low puff for the past week and my hair is happy. For the weeks prior I was wearing twists for a week or two at a time; only co-washing once a week (in twists) and deep conditioning after take-down. Some people have to wash their hair more often but even when I was relaxed, my hair did well with washing once every 1-2 weeks. so yeah...I need to stick with what works for me and my hair...testing/changing new products as needed.

lovelexi

i dont listen to stylists when they tell me i need a relaxer at 6 weeks or that i need to get a trim every 6 weeks. half of these stylists dont know anything or just want your money.
also i hate when my sister complains about her dry scalp and hair and says that she needs to grease it with vaseline. i constantly tell her that needs to wash her hair at least weekly and stop using grease on her scalp. she doesnt listen. and she has natural bsl 3c hair. but its been that length for 3 years! i've been working on her. but shes so hard headed :wallbash:

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
It annoys me when others ask me what to do with their damaged hair and they think it's one special product you can recommend to make it come back to life. Then when you tell them what to do they say oh, I'm not spending all that money on that or that's too much work. I waste my time recommending good DC's and all but if you're not going to invest $25-$30 in a heating cap or if you feel 30 minutes is too long to wear it then I can't help you. :nono:

I can really co-sign on how they take bits and pieces of what you tell them and turn around and say it didn't work for them. Go figure!

The same people who laugh at me for spending my time on a hair board are the ones who want the free advice I get from the same hair boards. :ohwell:

Shananyganz

Totally off topic @ Nichi...but your siggy pic!!!! I'm. Just. SAYING!!! Sigh..pant..and SWOON...loving it!!!! Where do you find these pics!?! LOL...you always have a siggy pic that makes me drool!!

K...sorry ladies...back on topic.

This may be somewhat of a double standard, but outside of LHCF…I don’t allow people to refer to my hair as “nappy”. Period…Dot. It’s not going down like that. I have a few instances when someone IRL has said exactly that and I immediately, if not before correct(ed) them. I don’t take issue with the word per se...I just know that it is not used the same or means the same thing to some people. So to avoid any mishap or potentially snide remark, IRL I just don’t allow the use of that word in reference to my hair. I’m never indignant, most just generally (outside of hair boards) do not know and tend (in MY experience) to use the term negatively…I seek only to inform.

~S~

Last edited:

MsLizziA

So who are the type of people you don't listen to on your long hair care journey? And what are some annoying things on your journey?

I don't listen to bald headed people. Most of the time I don't listen to people who have a completely diffrent texture of hair than mine, unless it is about protective styling and they have (what I consider) long healthy hair. I also don't listen to people who's hair is shorter than mine, and I cannot see how healthy it is.

One major thing that annoys me is how random people always ask about my hair, and explain how they can't go natural, as if I care. I hate when people constantly ask for advice and never take it or take what they want, and say it doesn't work for them. For example my mom takes bits and peices of information I tell her about my Haircare journey. I was telling her about egg treatments, and she does one 3 times a week, and her hair is dry and brittle. I keep telling her, that her hair needs moisture, and that she has protien overload, but she just won't listen.

Lastl\y I hate how my sisters and my mom just use my products because they see how long and healthy my hair is, and they want hair like mine, but they don't want to put the work in to get nice hair. Nor do they replace my products:wallbash:

to the 1st bolded, nothing annoys me more than people who sit in my face and tell me they "can't" go natural. I just want to scream b/c that is some of the dumbest shyt i eva heard in my life.

to the 2nd... that just don't happen in my life cuz um... they know betta :rolleyes:

It annoys me when others ask me what to do with their damaged hair and they think it's one special product you can recommend to make it come back to life. Then when you tell them what to do they say oh, I'm not spending all that money on that or that's too much work. I waste my time recommending good DC's and all but if you're not going to invest $25-$30 in a heating cap or if you feel 30 minutes is too long to wear it then I can't help you. :nono:

I can really co-sign on how they take bits and pieces of what you tell them and turn around and say it didn't work for them. Go figure!

The same people who laugh at me for spending my time on a hair board are the ones who want the free advice I get from the same hair boards. :ohwell:

Hate that
Using up my products and not replacing them? :spank:
:lachen::lachen:

i don't listen to people who have no edges

and i dont listen to people who always have something in their hair, like weave/braids/etc, always in styles I can't see the health of their actual hair.
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

washize

I don't listen to people without healthy hair unless their hair has made some marked improvement. you know, it was tore up but w/ some hard work it's getting better. B/c then I like to hear what they have done.

I do sometimes like to listen to people w/ jacked up hair, not for advice but for avoidance tips. Ex, you stay in some micros but your edges are none existant. Let's me know the risks of certain things.

That is a good point! :lachen:people with jacked up hair are always trying to give advice. I do exactly opposite of what they say. I don't remember who but someone here posted that a woman used to use car oil on her hair, for the minerals :nono: Honestly I stay away from Cornrows, and mircos, I only wear french twists. I love them because they are painless, and supper easy to put in and take out.

washize

Totally off topic @ Nichi...but your siggy pic!!!! I'm. Just. SAYING!!! Sigh..pant..and SWOON...loving it!!!! Where do you find these pics!?! LOL...you always have a siggy pic that makes me drool!!

K...sorry ladies...back on topic.

This may be somewhat of a double standard, but outside of LHCF…I don’t allow people to refer to my hair as “nappy”. Period…Dot. It’s not going down like that. I have a few instances when someone IRL has said exactly that and I immediately, if not before correct(ed) them. I don’t take issue with the word per se...I just know that it is not used the same or means the same thing to some people. So to avoid any mishap or potentially snide remark, IRL I just don’t allow the use of that word in reference to my hair. I’m never indignant, most just generally (outside of hair boards) do not know and tend (in MY experience) to use the term negatively…I seek only to inform.

~S~

yeah i don't let people call my hair nappy either, because to me it is not nappy. it is curly, and it is always used as a negative way. "your hair is nappy, or your peas (kitchens) are a mess blah blah blah. I usually just tell them I'm not white, what is my hair supposed to look like? They usually shut up after that. Don't get me wrong, I like straight hair as a STYLE for me, but my hair is curly and there is nothing I can do about that.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
i dont listen to people that have hair that is 2inches long and it looks dry and broken off. one lady that worked at a bss with short hair, tried to tell me that coconut oil isnt good for my hair, that i shouldnt be co-washing so often (i co-wash once or twice a week after a DC) she also tried to tell me my hair wasnt straigth enuff and tried to sell me a 150 dollar flat iron (i didnt want my hair totally straight, duh!!) she also tried to sell me PINK OIL, like wtFugde?!

she also weave checked me on a sneak tip acting like she was "checking how healthy my hair was":rolleyes:dumb B. then shes like :blush: when she saw NO TRACKS WERE IN MY HAIR. ill never ask her for help when i shop there again!

thanks op!

Last edited:

Kneechay

aww thanks. I always try to look for cute natural styles to spice my hair up after I remove my install and when I google search, I find some of these pics on a blog, salon site, or just a google image result of "type 4 hair, fro"

teysmith

I dont listen to poeple with hair that has been at the same length since I have known them even if it seems to make a little sense.. I have to go investigate before I take their word..

After one of my friends found out that I am trying to grow my hair out long and healthy she seems to have so much info on products and how to get it there but yet she's been at NL the 6 years I have known her..

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I don't listen to stylist with weaves, (No offense, to any stylist. ) I think that where your resume is....

i wanted to be a hair stylist soo bad at one time. id wear my hair out every day to show my clients that, I WOULD MAKE THEIR HAIR GROW! i wouldnt do anything to their hair that i wouldnt do to my own! my hair would be my resume for sure:yep:

bimtheduck

I don't listen to people with horrible looking edges. People with overprocessed, see thru ends can NEVER tell me anything. Even if your hair is super thick and tightly coiled and you tell me you get a touch every single month I will not listen to anything you have to say about hair care. Even before LHCF I knew that was bad. I hate stupid comments/questions directed at me that compare my hair to the hair of other black women. As if the length or health of my hair some how makes me "not really black," I get those from blacks and non blacks alike.

MarieB

You guys are the only ones I listen to.:look:

Me too! I don't trust stylists, or even the people at the BSS; they see my hair and assume they know all about it, or act like they do...:nono:. Naw, son, I'll take my chances doing my own thing and getting advice and tips here; best $ I ever spent on a forum!

ms.blue

i dont listen to people that have hair that is 2inches long and it looks dry and broken off. one lady that worked at a bss with short hair, tried to tell me that coconut oil isnt good for my hair, that i shouldnt be co-washing so often (i co-wash once or twice a week after a DC) she also tried to tell me my hair wasnt straigth enuff and tried to sell me a 150 dollar flat iron (i didnt want my hair totally straight, duh!!) she also tried to sell me PINK OIL, like wtFugde?!

she also weave checked me on a sneak tip acting like she was "checking how healthy my hair was":rolleyes:dumb B. then shes like :blush: when she saw NO TRACKS WERE IN MY HAIR. ill never ask her for help when i shop there again!

thanks op!

shouldn't she be asking you advice seeing how long your hair is. She should be thinking that coconut oil is the miracle hair growth oil:lachen::lachen::lachen:

ShiShiPooPoo

Me too! I don't trust stylists, or even the people at the BSS; they see my hair and assume they know all about it, or act like they do...:nono:. Naw, son, I'll take my chances doing my own thing and getting advice and tips here; best $ I ever spent on a forum!

Exactly. I'm looking at them like, "I learn from the best".

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
shouldn't she be asking you advice seeing how long your hair is. She should be thinking that coconut oil is the miracle hair growth oil:lachen::lachen::lachen:

after she weave checked me, she was looking at me like :blush: in amazement. i could definitely see through her like glass and i knew that SHE KNEW that I KNEW that she didnt have a clue. she was kinda making up things to say to me as she went along. i could tell she felt intimidated as i looked at her like :rolleyes:. she acted like she never seen a black girl with my length, maybe she didnt.... i dont know.

but i walked out like :nono:, my sister was next to me, so as i walked out i asked " why did she just pretend like she knew what she was talking about?" :rolleyes:

PJaye

I tend to ignore people who offer weird old wives tales, or who use the following phrases: "mixed," "good hair" and "must have Indian in your family." Otherwise, I respect everyone's experiences and opinions equally.

Kurlee

i hate people who insist that my hair is not real, then when they see that it is, insist that i am mixed and not telling them or using some "magic" growth potion and not sharing.

coolsista-paris

i don't listen to those with unhealthy hair, those with no edges. Friends that say that i can't do this and that cause my hair is natural....

what i don't like is a friend that asks advice cause im always informing myself about hair. Then when i tell her what to do she says "no i wont do this, its not good,and that" i feel like shoutint "don't ask me then!!! especially that you do nothing for your hair a part from putting the poorest greases on it ,taking bad care of it" grrrrr