People you don't listen to an things that annoy you on your LHJ

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
i don't listen to those with unhealthy hair, those with no edges. Friends that say that i can't do this and that cause my hair is natural....

what i don't like is a friend that asks advice cause im always informing myself about hair. Then when i tell her what to do she says "no i wont do this, its not good,and that" i feel like shoutint "don't ask me then!!! especially that you do nothing for your hair a part from putting the poorest greases on it ,taking bad care of it" grrrrr

grease:nono: yuk.

:drunk:ohh the days when i was a lil girl sitting between mother's knees as she put grease on my scalp before school:drunk:

sleepflower

I do not listen to anyone who uses the term "good hair".

I do not listen to anyone who acts as if anything natural is absolutely the best and if you use man-made products your hair will fall out, your teeth will rot, a small baby will grow in your armpit, and the government will transmit messages to your vagina--all in a day.

I do not listen to any claim that is not backed up by science or research. I see a lot of them floating around. It's amazing how people laugh at 'old wive's tales' while believing some of this other stuff...

I am wary of product advice from people whose hair is not like mine, but I will listen to anyone for technique and regimens.

CurlyMoo

I don't listen to people who ask for advice then try to school me on why I don't count because they think I have "good hair.":spinning:

Last edited:

ms.blue

I tend to ignore people who offer weird old wives tales, or who use the following phrases: "mixed," "good hair" and "must have Indian in your family." Otherwise, I respect everyone's experiences and opinions equally.

I try to listen to anyone with healthy hair regardless if it's short or long, natural or relaxed but I can't stand aggressive annoying know-it-all with jacked up hair trying to tell me how to grow my hair cuz if you can't grow your hair or have healthy hair, then it's no point for me to listen.

NYAmicas

Seeker
I dont listen to poeple with hair that has been at the same length since I have known them even if it seems to make a little sense.. I have to go investigate before I take their word..

After one of my friends found out that I am trying to grow my hair out long and healthy she seems to have so much info on products and how to get it there but yet she's been at NL the 6 years I have known her..

:yep: I have friends 3+ and over that make fun of me for co-washing yet still complaining about the same hair issues from 3+ years ago complete with the same length from 3+ years ago.:rolleyes:

People who keep their hair in weave or extensions and when they take it out they're darn near bald.

People who dont even attempt to do their own hair and leave it all to their stylist. You dont know jack!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I don't listen to people who ask for advice then try to school me on why I don't count because they think I have "good hair.":spinning:

i have a freind that just wont listen or do anything i ask her to do becuase she thinks i have "good hair", so i dont really count, right? when actually me and her have the same hair type 4a!!! i met her two years ago when i was around apl i think, and now im WL (woulda been HL if i didnt cut) and shes stillllll at NL!!! its funny becuase when i met her at a shoe store where i worked, the first thing she said to me was "i want my hair like yours, how can you make my hair like yours?" i thought, "who is this crazy lady walking up to me so boldly to say this?:lachen:. so next thing i knew, this stranger became my freind and my client! i would DC her hair and wash it. but she always jacked it up!!!:wallbash: so she could have been where i am, but shes not:rolleyes:.

PJaye

I try to listen to anyone with healthy hair regardless if it's short or long, natural or relaxed but I can't stand aggressive annoying know-it-all with jacked up hair trying to tell me how to grow my hair cuz if you can't grow your hair or have healthy hair, then it's no point for me to listen.

I can certainly understand that.

Along with ignoring the illogical Soak-Your-Hair-In-Turpentine-Laced-With-Spider-Webs-While-Hopping-On-One-Foot-Under-A-Full-Moon Method advocates, I will also discount an authoritative Hair Zealot in a heartbeat. A person could have a plethora of hair down to their ankles, but if their tone is arrogant, condescending or snippy, I will immediately tune out.

ms.blue

I can certainly understand that.

Along with ignoring the illogical Soak-Your-Hair-In-Turpentine-Laced-With-Spider-Webs-While-Hopping-On-One-Foot-Under-A-Full-Moon Method advocates, I will also discount an authoritative Hair Zealot in a heartbeat. A person could have a plethora of hair down to their ankles, but if their tone is arrogant, condescending or snippy, I will immediately tune out.

I completely agree with you because the tone matters also if the person sounds like a complete jerk its like don't even bother tell me your routine cuz I'm not listening.:nono:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I completely agree with you because the tone matters also if the person sounds like a complete jerk its like don't even bother tell me your routine cuz I'm not listening.:nono:

yesss i totally agree.

i remember in highschool there were about 3 blk girls with super long hair, one was about bsl, the other was mbl and the other was WL, all of them were snobbbyy!!!:blush: i never thought i could ever grow hair that long and thought that they were just blessed with the "good hair"

well now that i have long hair, i want soo badly to give advice, and i dont have one snobby bone in my body about it. i love chatting about hair. i guess some women want to keep it all a secret *shrugs*

When I told my mum I won't be putting relaxer in my hair anymore, she suggested that I should start putting texturiser in it to make it softer and easier to manage, and cos it's weaker than a relaxer :look:. Um, why all the obsession with chemicals; what's wrong with my God-given natural hair, exactly? Honestly, she's never even thought to give it a chance, relaxing my hair from age 4 and all :rolleyes:. She and all my 4 sisters don't have healthy or long hair, they're all shoulder length or shorter. So it looks I'm I'm on my own in this hair journey. Well, me and my lovely LHCF family that is :grin:

ms.blue

yesss i totally agree.

i remember in highschool there were about 3 blk girls with super long hair, one was about bsl, the other was mbl and the other was WL, all of them were snobbbyy!!!:blush: i never thought i could ever grow hair that long and thought that they were just blessed with the "good hair"

well now that i have long hair, i want soo badly to give advice, and i dont have one snobby bone in my body about it. i love chatting about hair. i guess some women want to keep it all a secret *shrugs*

They probably didn't know how they grew their hair long. Also it's like they want to be processive about their hair like their some type of anomaly. Everyone has the potential of growing their hair long but some just need some guidance/mentoring to help them achieve their goals and if you ask someone who you think has beautiful hair how did they grow their hair and your met with attitude then your a JERK.

ms.blue

When I told my mum I won't be putting relaxer in my hair anymore, she suggested that I should start putting texturiser in it to make it softer and easier to manage, and cos it's weaker than a relaxer :look:. Um, why all the obsession with chemicals; what's wrong with my God-given natural hair, exactly? Honestly, she's never even thought to give it a chance, relaxing my hair from age 4 and all :rolleyes:. She and all my 4 sisters don't have healthy or long hair, they're all shoulder length or shorter. So it looks I'm I'm on my own in this hair journey. Well, me and my lovely LHCF family that is :grin:

I understand b/c my mom has a problem with my natural hair also. She is trying to convince me to relax my hair. I'm like "you realize that your hair is not naturally straight b/c every couple months you need to get a touch up" I have no problem with relaxed hair but like my natural hair.

Last edited:

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
I dont listen to my friends that laugh and think it's "weird" that I wash my hair everyday AND only use conditioner.

I laugh @ the chics and certain family members that feel that I'm bald b/c they've never seen my "real" hair.

BEAUTYU2U

One major thing that annoys me is how random people always ask about my hair, and explain how they can't go natural, as if I care.

I haven't experienced this yet but I'm sure it must be annoying - I hear a lot of LHCFers talk about it.

bride91501

I don't listen to anyone who refuses to support me on my HHJ.

I'm "supposedly" the last person on earth who can have beautiful, natural hair AND grow it long and healthy....first generation West African with super course 4b hair that's NEVER been longer than chin-length.

Oh....they have no idea I thrive on a hate!! LOL.... my 3 daughters and I are gonna have the longest, thickest, healthiest 4a/4b hair the world has ever seen- you just watch! LOL

ms.blue

I dont listen to my friends that laugh and think it's "weird" that I wash my hair everyday AND only use conditioner.

I laugh @ the chics and certain family members that feel that I'm bald b/c they've never seen my "real" hair.

When you do show off you real hair make sure you flip your hair like your in a hair commercial so your family members know that you know what your doing when it comes to hair.:grin:

4evershika

I listen to just about anyone... but that doesn't mean that I'll take their advice.

HOWEVER I'm actually more likely to take the advice of someone that has come from having shorter hair and grew it long. To me it indicates that they REALLY know their stuff (not saying that ladies who start at APL+ don't but... yeah it's just my thing).

DrC

:yep: I have friends 3+ and over that make fun of me for co-washing yet still complaining about the same hair issues from 3+ years ago complete with the same length from 3+ years ago.:rolleyes:

People who keep their hair in weave or extensions and when they take it out they're darn near bald.

Girl, then they barely take care of the weave and their own hair lol.

Last edited:

BoaterGirlKim

I don't listen to anyone who says ign'ant shiznit like, "You ain't white - you keep washing your hair every day and you gonna go bald." I'll say something back like, "Why do you think white people have long hair?"

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I don't listen to people who believe in "good" hair or whose hair I've never seen. I also don't listen to people who know more about various types of weave hair but can't tell you the first thing about shampooing and conditioning their own hair. I also rarely listen to relaxed heads (except on the board) because most of it IRL looks totally jacked up.

Lately though, I have been getting some pretty good hair advice from men with locs.

knt1229

I don't listen to anyone who says something that I don't agree with or I know it won't work on my hair or thru conversation I have gathered they don't know squat about hair.

What the person's hair looks like I don't take into too much consideration. Because there are people with long hair who don't know a thing about hair or will advise you to do some non sensical mess to your hair. And there are people with damaged or short hair that are in the middle of a setback. Doesn't mean they don't know anything about hair it just means they made a mistake and probably won't be doing that again.

Also, I know several people who choose to wear their hair short. Short healthy hair can be fly and there are folks with short healthy hair that have some good info to impart.

NikkiQ

As much as I love them, I will no longer listen to my mother who is being totally negative about my HHJ back to my natural curl.

I don't listen to anyone with greased up, thin edges or fried up hairstyles thinking that mess looks good.

I don't listen to anyone that assumes that b/c I am a mixed breed(Creole and Irish), that I don't count and will never understand what "being natural" really is.

Lastly...I do NOT listen to anyone that has pieces of dry and broken off hair scattered all over their shirts trying to tease me about wearing a lace front. umm...maybe you should invest in one honey child.

ShiShiPooPoo

As much as I love them, I will no longer listen to my mother who is being totally negative about my HHJ back to my natural curl.

I don't listen to anyone with greased up, thin edges or fried up hairstyles thinking that mess looks good.

I don't listen to anyone that assumes that b/c I am a mixed breed(Creole and Irish), that I don't count and will never understand what "being natural" really is.

Lastly...I do NOT listen to anyone that has pieces of dry and broken off hair scattered all over their shirts trying to tease me about wearing a lace front. umm...maybe you should invest in one honey child.

Stock some of those ORS Replenishing Pac samples in your purse and the next time somebody with chewed hair has something to say hand the LaHeaux one.

HauteHippie

I'll listen to anyone with healthy hair, regardless of type, race, and length. I may not follow everything, but I do listen. We basically say the same things: low manipulation, good protein/moisture balance, patience, etc. I don't listen to people who swear they can do anything with their hair-- of course, they can and they do. That's why it's always a good 3 inches.

I don't listen to people who don't live a healthy lifestyle. If you're not concerned with what goes into your body, I can't trust your judgement when it comes to what you put on your head. I try to listen, but I end up making my grocery list.

As of today, I've officially decided not to go to any stylist without 4 hair unless I have reliable references. I've only done this twice, and both times they thought they were capable of "handling" my natural hair... And then failed the big exam. This woman today listened on everything, except when it came to detangling my hair. She raked through the ends like shed lost her mind. Thank God, I'd already done it before I left the house! I'd even flat ironed a few days ago! I had to do a scoff and duck. She's like, "Your hair is so thick." I'm like, "Actually it's not at all. I have fine strands. I don't care much about what my weave looks like, but I want to keep every inch on my head." Then, she's giving me the "represent the salon" spiel. Yes...and I'm going to tell EVERYONE if I suddenly have messed up ends. What is so difficult about detangling from the bottom up?

Bnster

I stop listening to my hairdresser, he doesn't know all and my mother - her care is washing every 2 or 3 weeks with no patience for DC and comments on that "I will wash my relaxer out" cause I wash too much and I spend to much time on my hair.

Who I do listen to are the ladies on this board who knows what they are doing and show living proof of that via documentation of photos and videos! Thanks LHCF for enlightening me.

I listen to my hair that tells me when its happy or not with the care I am giving it.

God Bless and HHJ!

Bnster

I'm "supposedly" the last person on earth who can have beautiful, natural hair AND grow it long and healthy....first generation West African with super course 4b hair that's NEVER been longer than chin-length.

Oh....they have no idea I thrive on a hate!! LOL.... my 3 daughters and I are gonna have the longest, thickest, healthiest 4a/4b hair the world has ever seen- you just watch! LOL

Good for you, you go girl, YOU SHOW THEM ALL! HHJ! :yep:

brianna-alyssa

It annoys me when others ask me what to do with their damaged hair and they think it's one special product you can recommend to make it come back to life. Then when you tell them what to do they say oh, I'm not spending all that money on that or that's too much work. I waste my time recommending good DC's and all but if you're not going to invest $25-$30 in a heating cap or if you feel 30 minutes is too long to wear it then I can't help you. :nono:

I can really co-sign on how they take bits and pieces of what you tell them and turn around and say it didn't work for them. Go figure!

The same people who laugh at me for spending my time on a hair board are the ones who want the free advice I get from the same hair boards. :ohwell:

I deal with this all the time. When people ask for advice, they always think there is ONE super product that can turn their hair from dirt to gold. Sooooo annoying! Then when you tell them in a watered down, simple way what they should do for healthy hair, they claim it's too much.

Washing & deep conditioning once a week is too much? :ohwell:

washize

:grin: lol you go girl! get that retention on point!:drunk:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I don't listen to anyone IRL honestly. Because I'm yet to come across someone who appreciates all types of hair like I do. I do give advice if I'm asked. But I no longer just volunteer information, people get defensive and I just :nono: But then even when I'm aksed they say something like 'that only works for you because you have that curly hair'...Um okay, then why ask?! :rolleyes:

Growing My Glory

Please allow me a moment to be somewhat off topic. (reverse the topic)
My daughter refuses to listen to me concerning hair, although I think she is slowly coming around. She has commented that my hair looks nice. I mention LHCF every at every opportunity. She wants long healthy hair but doesn't seem to interested in what I share. I decided that I would just accidently leave LHCF open from time to time. I would love to share this journey with her.

Oh, and I decided not to listen to a hair stylist who said trimming my ends would train my hair.