Plastic Caps, Anyone???

Peachtree

Does anyone sleep with a plastic cap on their head? I tried this last night & I was amazed at how moisturized my hair was this morning.

I did my usual evening moisture treatment (distilled water + pure glycerin + Hot 6 oil). Instead of covering with my satin bonnet only, I covered with a plastic (conditioning) cap, then I put my satin bonnet on top. (the bonnet kept the plastic cap from "crunching").

This morning, my hair was EXTREMELY soft, lustrous & silky. The new growth was just a tid bit damp, but that's fine with me, cuz I'm trying to keep it as moisturized as possible.... *This is my weapon to fight breakage at the "line" * Also, my strands were a deep black color, which is a sure sign that my hair is properly moisturized.

This is definitely a keeper
routine when I need a "quick" moisture fix on non poo days

Has anyone else slept with their hair in a plastic cap to retain moisture?

adrienne0914

this does make the hair really soft, but i sweat so much in my scalp that my hair smells when i get up in the morning. so i have to wash more often than i want to. i will do this when i plan to wash in the morning though. it's great for doing overnight hot oil treatments.

MWilson569

Ive done that a few times..my hair was definately extremely moisturized in the morning..I dont do it often..but I just might pick up the habit-Melissa

Peachtree

Goodness, I didn't think about the sweat issue
. Yeah, morning wash would solve that problem.

Melissa, I'm glad to know that it works for ur natural hair.... Very reassuring

adrienne0914

peachtree, this probably isn't a problem for most people, but i even wake up with sweaty hair with just my silk wrap.
so my results aren't typical. i definitely encourage everyone to at least give it a try! have you ever tried those silver ones? those also use body heat to give you turbo moisture.

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
I only sleep in plastic caps when I do an over-night treatment.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is how I do it also....

love2praz

I've done this plenty of times when my hair needs a boost of moisture!!! I love the results!! Normally I do this 3-4 nights in a row for an intense moisture "infusion"!

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I only sleep in plastic caps when I do an over-night treatment.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is how I do it also....

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. usually a hot oil treatment.

SVT

I do this when I'm natural or for deep conditioning treatments before straightening.

katie

I found GPB was just ok before when I used it for CO washes in the shower.But since I have started sleeping with it on and a plastic cap it has been working greaaat!

Tebby1017

I have been lateley because I haven't worn my phonytail in the last week. However, when I wear my phonytail, I keep the plastic cap on my hair (bun only) from one wash until the next.

I get the same results...soft, moisturized, silky hair.

Tebby

PrincessM

Wow, really? My mom said she's gonna start doing it a few days ago. Back when she had a jheri curl she did it & her hair flurished (because of all that moisture, I presume).

Sky

Peachtree,

How do you mix the hot oil6 and glycerin and water? Do you put it in a spray bottle and just shake it ? and how much of each product do you use?

hotpink

I've been sleeping with a plasic cap every night for a little less than two months now and I've gotten about 2.5 inches of new growth so far. I CO wash with Biosilk hydrating conditioner, apply Motions oil moisturizer, spray my ends with Fantasia IC braid sheen and then I place the cap on my head. My hair is so silky the next day. It's much healthier now. Everyone who sees me with the cap on thinks that I've lost my mind.
My sister teases me about having a Jherri Curl!!

pressncurl

I have done this for deep conditioning, but I have pressed hair and when I tried it once between washes, I woke up with poofy hair!

ParisEmanuelle

I used to do this all the time when I was in school, and then rinse and return my hair to a wet bun. I would do it for weeks at a time, and when I would finally roller set my hair or flat iron it, the texture and softness would be absolutely amazing!!

NubianQueen

I do this every night because I'm in braids and I need all the moisture I can get! I just recently had my hair done in cornrows (because the individuals seemed to cause too many tangles) and I was telling the braider about this board. She said whatever I was learning here was working because I have 'good' hair. Now personally, I have an issue with that comment, but I took it as a compliment. Hair that grows and stays on your head is GOOD!

Maybe I'll just use it for hot oil treatments once I reach my first goal and start wearing my hair straight.

Happy growing!

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
[ QUOTE ]
I covered with a plastic (conditioning) cap, then I put my satin bonnet on top. (the bonnet kept the plastic cap from "crunching").

[/ QUOTE ]This is exactly what I do! I thought I was the only one. I use the satin bonnet cause the crackling noise wakes me up from all that tossing and turning during the night. I also slip my plastic cap on in the car, after sitting under air conditioning in my office all day and tie a scar around it to conceal. By the time I get home my hair is re-moisturized. It works so well I just wear it whenever I’m at home now. I figure it can’t do any harm plus I get 15 for under $1 @ wal-mart!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I've always ended up with really damp hair in the morning when I've done this
I used to do it with jojoba oil though.

EbonyEyes

When my natural hair is "out", I sleep in a plastic cap. When I was using a satin cap, I would wake up with my hair dry and pressed to my head. But someone on the Nappturality website mentioned using a plastic cap so I tried it. I woke up with my hair so moisturized and soft that I didn't even have to jump in a shower for a daily rinse.

I can't tell you why the plastic cap works but I'm so glad it does!!

-Ebony

ElizaBlue

I do, I do....unless I have company
But otherwise, I use the cap sometimes two to make sure there is no leakage and then I use a silk scarf of a bandana to keep the caps in place.

LiLi

Hi Peachtree, I started doing this last year. I got the tip from another hair board. I was transitioning for a year (gave up though) and that is what kept my new growth moisturized. I would first put my hair in 6 twists and then put a plastic cap on. At that time I was also using on natural hair products and would put a little jojoba oil on my hair or HHB before putting the plastic cap on. One important tip I got was to put holes through the plastic cap before going to bed so your hair is moisturized just right and not too wet in the morning. It really works wonders. I take my cap off after my shower in the morning and then an hour later I take my twists out.

Nyambura

surfer girl
On the rare occasions when I wrap my hair:

After lightly oiling my ends, I wrap my hair, cover the wrap with a silk/satin scarf and then place 2 - 3 shower caps on my head for at least an hour but no longer than 3 hours. Before I fall asleep, I remove the shower caps (the scarf remains on my head) and let my hair dry overnight. The next morning my hair is moisturized, bouncy, and swinging. This only works if my hair is 100% dry before I comb it down in the morning.

I got this tip from Mahalialee, wise hair woman, LHCF member, and author of many informative posts.

Sky

[ QUOTE ]
I am wearing a plastic cap tonight. Hope it works as well as you ladies stated!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if it doesnt, dontspeakdefeat, you know where to post!

Dejuan42

ooowhee paris you take alot of supplements
but anyway plastic caps does make your hair smell i would wear them more often but that lil strap irritates me all night and rubs against my hair line. Leaves hair moisturized though