Plastic Caps, Anyone???

pebbles

Peachtree, I've slept with a plastic cap on in the winter time and yes, my hair did come out very soft.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am wearing a plastic cap tonight. Hope it works as well as you ladies stated!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if it doesnt, dontspeakdefeat, you know where to post!

[/ QUOTE ]

And the morning after....

Well I woke up this morning to a pleasant suprise, very soft and moisturized hair. I put a little joboba oil on last night then the plastic cap. My hair feels great. Only thing is I forgot to poke holes. My pressed hair wound up being a big puff ball. But I love how soft it is! Thanks ladies

garr6982

Yup! When I had a "bad hair trim"
about 3 inches! I did this continuously for two months and I gained all my length back!

Nubian Queen: I need to try this with my braids! I do this during the day and when I spray my essential oil spray through my braids but I need to take it up a notch!

ms_kenesha

I've done this before and had really moisturized hair, sometimes a bit damp. I'll try it tonight with holes poked in the cap and see how everything goes. Y'all are great with the ideas!!!

Peachtree

Wow, this thread really "took off"

Thanks for responding everyone....

I'm gonna play around with this technique for a bit... try to maximize my results. One things for certain, this "cap technique" is working wonders on keeping my transitional "line" very moisturized.
Anything possible to keep breakage at a minimum, u know?!?!

NubianQueen

garr6982,

Good luck with using this technique on your braids. It should do wonders for you since you grew 3" in two months without braids!

You wanna send some of that type of growth this way?!

Cheleigh

I do this many nights--started about two weeks ago. I braid my hair, spritz it, do a quarter size of leave-in moisture, bag it and put the satin head wrap around it. I take it off the first time my alarm goes off, so that my hair has time to dry before I style it. I wear it low, past the hairline.

Haven't had any odor problems at all. It seems to quench my hair's insatiable desire for moisture.

CarLiTa

i've been saying that i was going to do this for a long time now... but now i have really decided that i will... i have 3 more months till the end of my challenge and i want to make sure my hair stays moisturized... and if that brings more growth then HEY :look:
so yeah, i'm going to try to do this everynight :)

carmella25

I do this about twice a week. I sit under my heating cap for an hour then I go to sleep with the shower cap on and I also wrap my silk scaf around it.

Queenie

I do this nearly every night for the past three months or more. I do it because it encourages growth.

I tried this during the weekend. I woke up with very moisturized hair but I was sweating horribly through the night. I looved the results but I was too hot. I don't think I'll be trying that again. :perplexed

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
I've been doing this every night for the past few months and my hair has improved a lot, it's not as dry as it used to be and the ends don't break and split like they used to.

amy1234

yes I admit, I started doing this recently on dry hair but I would apply a moisturizing conditioner before going to sleep. My hair feels so soft and supple in the morning when I take the shower cap off... and if you put your bonnet over the plastic cap, it will allow your hair to be conditioned even more mainly because of your body heat.

Scasey

Well I just started and I am very pleased with the results. My hair seems a little more frizzy but I am not complaining.

L

lkg4healthyhair

I do this when I want deep moisture. On dry hair I will put my favorite moist conditioner. Last time I used Kenra, but NTM mask works well too. Then I wrap with saran wrap (the shower cap makes my sweat too much). The saran wrap stays flat and I just put on a bonnet or silk scarf. In the am my hair is very moist, then I just rinsed in the shower ..

imstush

I started doing this when people spoke about the baggie method. I didn't want to do that so I thought about sleeping with a plastic cap and my satin scarf on top of it. I've been doing it for about a month, and my hair is extremely moisturized.

Brinasia

Hi Im new to the board and lovin it!!!

I would like to try this method on my 4b relaxed hair. How do you relaxed ladies wear you hair in the morining? Is you hair wet? Do you rinse it every morning? If so then how do you style it? Just wanna know what do you do with this damp hair before work:confused:

Thank Brinasia

Naijaqueen

Brinasia said:

I would like to try this method on my 4b relaxed hair. How do you relaxed ladies wear you hair in the morining? Is you hair wet? Do you rinse it every morning? If so then how do you style it? Just wanna know what do you do with this damp hair before work:confused:

Thank Brinasia

I do this a lot, and when I do, I usually put it in a cute ponytail in the morning. Doing it tonight.

Scasey

Brinasia said:

Thank Brinasia

I roll my hair with the pillow soft rollers and put end papers on my ends before rolling up. Then I put the plastic cap on (I poked holes in as instructed) and I place my satin cap over that. My hair is slightly damp and a little frizzy by the morning. I am fine with that though b/c I wear my hair in curls most of the time anyway.

Brinasia

I tried the platic cap last night. When I woke up my hair was totally wet like I had just washed it. How often do you ladies do this and how do you style your hair afterward...Any suggestion other than a ponytail?

eboniwoman

lil bunny
I would like to try this but what about the elastic band that holds the cap together? I mean it will snag at my hairline which doesn't sound too crazy for me. Are you talking about a shower type like plastic cap?

Bees

Brinasia said:
I tried the platic cap last night. When I woke up my hair was totally wet like I had just washed it. How often do you ladies do this and how do you style your hair afterward...Any suggestion other than a ponytail?

You must perspire like I do. My hair is very damp. I usually wrap my hair put the plastic cap on it and tie a scarf over it. It is quite damp when I wake up in the morning but I put a few rollers in before I hit the shower. I usally ride to work in rollers and take them off in the parking lot. It doesn't take long for it to dry out...I would say about 20 minutes. My hair is almost dry by the time I finish dressing. I just let the rollers stay in during the ride so the air can blow thru it and make sure it's completely dry. Some of those real humid days...my hair stayed wet for quite a while. To me it's not really a hassle cuz I like the way my hair feels and it is beginning to thicken up a bit. As my hairdresser says...moisture and strength is what makes our hair grow. :lol:

Lucia

I baggie @ night cause I've got the sew in back now, I've also done oil treats with it and it's great fro softness.

P

patient1

I was doing this for about a week to keep my hair moisturized (after my last coloring spree). I would use daily doctor and a natural oil or wgo.

In the morning my natural hair was soooooooo moisturized and healthy. I started thinking it was in better condition than prior to the color.

I stopped because I was having breakouts and thought they were likely not related to the overnight cappin', I wanted to be sure. Now that my skin has cleared up, I'm tempted again. I DEFINITELY feel the difference.

I think it's the jherri curl principle: folks hair grew like crazy during the curl craze in the 70's or 80's because of the moisturizing methods. To keep their curls looking right, folks moisturized and slept with caps on their heads then spritzed in the morning. The moisture led to some amazing growth on a lot of folks (especially the bruhs!)

Off-topic: apparently folks are still getting curl kits. I saw a student today with curls that looked like they were fresh off the rods!! That took me back to the 80's when Billie Jean hit MTV!

P1

D

donewit-it

Just started doing this. I'm having great results. The only thing that I may be doing different, is I'm not adding anything additional prior to my plastic cap. I just use whatever is in my hair from that day. I wake up with moist hair as well. I wonder if that's sweat or just moisture. It's kinda cool in the apartment. So I don't think so.....