Please be Honest With Me: Stretching Relaxers..

DozenRoses99

I was under the same impression that I could not stretch or transition, but I've found that moisturizing my hair daily has made it very possible. I believe that is the key to preventing breakage and tangles. Also, finding the products that work best with your hair (Elasta QP shampoo & conditioners, Elasta QP mango butter, Dove moisturizer, olive oil). The back of my hair and my edges are type 4a/b, and I thought that there was no way for me to survive without relaxing every 6 weeks. (Especially, since I had been told by many hair stylists that I had to relax this often to save my hair.) However, I have been able to go 3 months without significant breakage when I am consistant.

Summer_Rain

Great thread LoL. I was trying my hardest to reach 10weeks stretched, but this weekend - at just about 8.5 weeks, I couldn't take it anymore. My NG had become so thick that I couldn't even come throw it without feeling like I was causing major problems. I was so nervous about causing damage by perming before my goal (i dont know why) but bottom line, I felt like I'd eventually begin to see breakage at the stretch-rate I was going.

gentlegiant

I thought this past week that perhaps I had stretched too long and then I read Babygurl's response to the question (Thank you Babygurl -- I love watching your progress and your hair is stunning!). I have stretched now for 17 weeks because I am swimming weekly and did not want to relax and then expose my hair so soon to chlorine and salt. (I was going for 22, but I am interviewing and think I will have to cut my stretch to 18 weeks.) I have like 4-6 inches of newgrowth throughout my head, so I know I am going to get some eye rolling. :lol: (I am sure she will be even more annoyed when I refuse a trim. Have not trimmed in almost a year and plan to hold out for two years like Babygurl.) I also have given up brushing and combing except when I wash (so only once a week.) Unfortunately, I was not combing thoroughly during my wash and developed huge matts last week! It freaked me out and I thought I would have to cut. Well, I bought Generic Paul Mitchell's Detangler and after 45 minutes of TLC, my hair is matt free and I did not lose any more hair than I normally do. (I lost the reasonable amount that people normally shed.) So, perhaps you could find a good detangler, if you have not already tried that?

brickhouse

For me it is all about the products. I tried to use other products but Keracare Hydrating Poo and Humecto keeps my new growth manageable. I am around 17 wks and I just shampooed today and still was able to comb the couple of curly inches of new growth. I only comb my hair when I am washing it and only wear protective styles.

belle_reveuse28

I probably wouldn't stretch as long as you are if it's causing your hair to break. One time I stretched way too long and i was going to a stylist at this point, she said that I needed to get a relaxer or my hair would "pop." That made sense to me b/c I could not comb through the new growth no matter what I put in my hair. It was way too tangled. I think the ultimate goal of stretching is less is more but for me, I try not to be extreme. Besides, the running advice here is always listen to your hair and do what your hair needs. Certain times, it may need a relaxer sooner than usual. I would go with what my hair needs at that point. :ohwell:

spelmanlocks

I am 12 weeks post and am going to the salon today to get a touch up. I went to the salon last week and lost a lot of hair because the stylist was trying to unmat my hair. In the future I'll probably go to just 8 weeks. I agree with the others you should do whats best for your hair.

Brandi

Me, personally I cannot go longer than 10 weeks stretching. The new growth and texlaxed hair do not accommodate one another and I do not want to risk the damage of shedding or breakage in an attempt to grow a few inches.

I believe there is some benefit to stretching your relaxer because it minimizes the chemical use, however when it gets to a point when you can't comb through your hair at the roots, you need to do what's best for you.

AKA-Tude

No more stretching for me!:nono:

I went 9 wks w/ major new growth from the MN.

I had so much shedding!!! I was scurred @ one point!:eek:

I usually go 6-8 w/o MN, so now w/MN, there's just NO WAY I can stretch! I'd lose most of what I grow!:shocked:

So from now on crunchy roots + MN = PERM-ANATION ery 6-8!:up:

MzOptimistic

atlien11 said:
Honestly, i think if you are causing more damage by stretching...dont do it. Just my HONEST opinion. :cool:

I agree with atlien, I remember when I first tried to stretch and I only got to 7 weeks. I was on here asking the same question. Should I stretch if my hair is breaking? and the ladies told me NO to go ahead and perm my hair but as I got use to taking care of my hair once the ng started coming in I was able to stretch a little longer each time...I was able to stretch for 10 weeks last time and I had no breakage. I am currently 8 weeks post and I'm trying to make it to 12 weeks but to be honest. I want to relax at 10 weeks only because I'm tired of how my buns are starting to look..My ng is taking able, it's soft and everything with no breakage but my ng is just acting up:p

hottopic

It took me awhile to build up to where I am now which is 4-5months stretch. Mind you I am a very thick 4 a/b. Start small. The 1st time I stretched it was 8 weeks, I was jumping for joy. I thought I was the bomb, but I kept reading my idols’ page and they go for 6 months stretches. Eww.....I knew I had to work if I wanted to get to their level. 2nd time was 10 weeks, 3rd time was 12 week (I worked hard for that one), 4th time (I think) was 16 weeks by accident. Now I just forget about it. I mean, it's the hair you were born with, that’s how I look at my new growth. I see it as me taking care of what God gave me. It gets easier each stretch. You don't even notice any more. If it wasn't for the ticker, I would have forgotten that I need a perm. It's been 16 weeks since that last one. When I perm it would be 18 weeks total for this “stretch.” The longer your hair gets it gets easier to blend your new growths (except the front), So don’t worry about it. Like the ladies said perm when you hair is near breaking point. You will train your hair to give you more, trust me. But you have to keep experimenting on which products work and does not. How do you think most of us became product junkies. That was not by accident. When you find what works for you, clear your closet of what does not work and sell it on the board. What works for me might not work for you. I hope I provided somewhat useful info. Good luck. P.S. When I first started this advise was given to me as well. :)

Last edited:

LocksOfLuV

hottopic said:
It took me awhile to build up to where I am now which is 4-5months stretch. Mind you I am a very thick 4 a/b. Start small. The 1st time I stretched it was 8 weeks, I was jumping for joy. I thought I was the bomb, but I kept reading my idols’ page and they go for 6 months stretches. Eww.....I knew I had to work if I wanted to get to their level. 2nd time was 10 weeks, 3rd time was 12 week (I worked hard for that one), 4th time (I think) was 16 weeks by accident. Now I just forget about it. I mean, it's the hair you were born with, that’s how I look at my new growth. I see it as me taking care of what God gave me. It gets easier each stretch. You don't even notice any more. If it wasn't for the ticker, I would have forgotten that I need a perm. It's been 16 weeks since that last one. When I perm it would be 18 weeks total for this “stretch.” The longer your hair gets it gets easier to blend your new growths (except the front), So don’t worry about it. Like the ladies said perm when you hair is near breaking point. You will train your hair to give you more, trust me. But you have to keep experimenting on which products work and does not. How do you think most of us became product junkies. That was not by accident. When you find what works for you, clear your closet of what does not work and sell it on the board. What works for me might not work for you. I hope I provided somewhat useful info. Good luck. P.S. When I first started this advise was given to me as well. :)

Thanks. Stretching doesn't work for me. I actually did what you did but backwards. The first time I stretched I went to 4 mos, and down and down until I finally found what was right for me. I decided to stick with 8-10 weeks. The tangling and breakage was too much for me to handle. I know stretching is helpful to some, but I will not sacrafice breakage, trying to make my hair do something it doesn't want to do.

Choklatekiss79

Originally Posted by calliope
Hi LocksofLuv,
I'm only about 10 weeks post, but I was having the same line of demarcation battle myself about 3 weeks ago. To be honest, the only product that has helped to combat the matting and tangling and little knot balls on my ends is S Curl. I know that not everyone likes it because it can be kinda wet, but I combat that by only applying it to my roots as I part my hair. I was actually using scissors to cut out my knots when I decided to give my undiluted SCurl (had been using diluted on the ends only) a try and I haven't had a knot or matting since- hope you can find something you like too:)

I'm on borad with this. S Curl is like the wonder serum for my hair. I'm in week 10 of my first 12 week stretch, and I'm honestly in disbelief at how my hair is holding up. I also have short hair, so maybe that's whay I have an easier time managing it. :confused: Who knows. I also think that everyone's ahir is unique and you should do what works for you. But honestly, I would give the S Curl another try. :D

wadadligyal

anky said:
I am able to strech because I wash and condition my hair in sections (at least 5). I use the crown and glory method to wash my hair.

This really helps I'm 13 weeks post and going for 17 weeks before I relax and the way I wash really helps with the whole detangling process!!!! Plus I use your baggie method (with the roller) everyday so I'm cool with stretching!!!!!