Please help a new rollersetter

HWAY

I rollerset my hair last night. This was the first decent rollerset for me. I rinsed the conditioner out in the shower and used a wide tooth comb. I applied a quarter sized amount of leave-in and sprayed very dilute lottabody in my hair. I used magnetic rollers and mesh rollers. My roots are not very straight. My hair is very dry. I applied Lottabody Straightening loltion so I can blow dry my roots straight. My question is what can I use so my hair is less dry when I remove my rollers after airdrying? Is it better to use a flat iron on the roots or blow dry the roots? Does anyone else have trouble pulling hair taut while rolling with a magnetic roller?

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
A boar bristle brush and blowdryer would help that. Put the bristles in your hair and pull taut, then blow the warm air on that spot and it should flatten out roots. I also have that problem because I have lots of newgrowth.

Moroni

What works for my fine-textured hair is DCing for 30 minutes to an hour with heat first. Then I make sure my leave-in has some type of silk in it. I also put silk aminos in my spray bottle with water. Setting lotions dry and break my hair, so I can't use them.

I also had a problem with my hair breaking with rollersets because of pulling the hair too tightly while rolling. Now I just make sure my hair is soaking wet when rollersetting without stretching it. To answer your question about after removing the rollers, I like the Kids Organics Shea Butter detangling moisturizer or NTM Silk touch leave-in and sealing with jojoba oil or coconut oil. HTH

br0wney3z

I was wondering this too. I did my first decent set about a month ago but my hair came out really dry too and started breaking off. I DC'ed for about 15 minutes, and airdried first before getting under the dryer and I added honey to my water solution.

Sorry didn't meant o hijack your thread HWAY, just had the same question as you.

PuffyBrown

Maybe since your are airdrying you can go ahead and seal in you moisture with oil since no heat is going to be getting to the hair? Maybe less hair on one roller?

HWAY

I did notice the sections with less hair on the rollers did have straighter roots.

I wonder if I should use Laico (never used).
I wasn't sure how to apply a serum, so I didn't. For those that use serums, do you apply to har after the leave in and then proceed to rollerset?

Thanks for the tips. I'll be trying this again next week.

lonei

To alleviate dryness I'd say use a creamy leave in like Giovanni and no settig lotion. The curls still hold. I flat iron my roots as I feel its a bit kinder and easier than using the brush and blow dryer. I have lots of rollerset pic in my fotki

lonei

To alleviate dryness I'd say use a creamy leave in like Giovanni and no settig lotion. The curls still hold. I flat iron my roots as I feel its a bit kinder and easier than using the brush and blow dryer. I have lots of rollerset pic in my fotki

Last edited: