Please Help - Air Drying Breakage

Researching

I have APL hair and just started a journey toward braw strap last Friday. Having a terrible start. Decided to try all the things you ladies have been doing that I have never done before...cowashing, air drying hair with braid out, protein treatment,leave ins, oiling and bunning. I have never done any of those things before. Last Friday I was sooo excited to get started. I cowashed - loved it...hair sooo soft.:yep: Then I did Afogee 2 min and loved it....hair even softer. :yep: Then I put Komaza coconut curl spray for a leave in and a little organic extra virgin coconut oil. I braided my wet hair into 6 braids and was horrified the next morning when I took out my braids. My hair felt like hay it was so dry and that's no exageration. It felt dead. I have been drenching my hair in oil for the last three days and my hair still feels hard. :wallbash: I have not been combing only fingering and have witnessed about 30 broken hairs in my sink. I'm soo upset my stomach hurts. :nono: I only wanted to grow my hair longer....not lose hair to breakage. It's Monday and my hair is getting softer but I had about 10 broken hairs today. I don't know what to do. Right now I just want to go back to my old habits of blowdrying and be satified with APL, but keep telling myself that it's too early to quit. I need advice. I want to air dry because I know it will be healthier and grow longer, but I'm terrified of getting the same results and more breakage. I also don't know what I'm going to do come Friday when it is time for me to wash my hair because if I don't comb my hair out it will mat and knot horribly when washing and when my hair mats and knots during washing I have to cut the mats out...had that happen to me before. But, if I comb my hair I will get more breakage. I'm so disappointed. I spent a lot of time researching only to be setback from the start.:wallbash: Somebody please help.

blessedandlucky

i've airdried before but prefer blow drying. i had the best airdry results when i braided it into two braids and used mop leave-in and jane carter nourish and shine to seal. perhaps, you can try a different leave-in. you may have to experiment until you find the right combination. for me, i decided that blowdrying was best for me. it's the the only heat that i use.

i'm sure that others who have had success (and many have) will help you. good luck on your journey. don't get discouraged - it really is trial and error for awhile.

leigh.hill

I have discovered that you have to stick with what works for you - even through trial and error. I remember reading somewhere that some women don't braid on wet hair - I saw a few youtube videos that said the same. They braided on 60 - 70% dry hair. I KNOW you don't want to hear this but it took me about a month to get the air dry method right for me. Also like ^^^ said, it maybe your leave-in. I have tried products that (what seems like instantly) dry up my hair - products that most other people love. YEs, your hair was fine with your old routine, but something deep inside of you maybe saying "we can do better" (I hate to get all Oprah on you :yep:).

dachsies_rule!

I don't think the air-drying is the problem. It sounds like either the Aphogee was too much protein for your hair and/or you need to use something more moisturizing for your hair.

~NanCeBoTwin~

I'm so sorry you are going through this OP. I agree with dachsies....I think you need a true moisturizer for your hair, oil is not enough. You could try HE LTR, NTM Silk Touch, Silken Child Leave-In, S-Curl, HV Whipped Ends, just to name a few.

I don't use extra proteins in my hair, but it seems like I hear alot of the ladies saying you should follow with a moisturizing DC, so try that as well if you don't want to give up the protein.

In the end, just like Leigh Hill and Blessed both said, you'll have to do what works for you and experiment with different products and techniques.

frizzy

How long have you been using that hairspray? I would substitute the hair spray for a creamy leave in. All of the other ingredients sound good and it's good you air dried in braids.

lboogie2679

When I first tried airdying I had the same issues. I was able to get better results by apply first the leave-in, moisturizer, and then sealing. I add more than I normally would to dry hair. For me braidouts are a no-no on wet hair. I let it dry out to at least 75% then braid. HTH

Mitey Cyrus

OP, the first thing you need to do is a moisturizing deep condition. You used the 2 min Aphogee which is a strong protein and you should have followed that with a moisturizing conditioner. Please don't put anything else in your hair until you correct the protein/moisture balance. Good luck.

CurlTalk

1. You need to DC stat after that Aphogee 2 Minute. And I mean with the most moisturizing moisturelicious conditioner you own. DC on dry hair, with heat for a good 30 minutes plus. Then cowash your hair with a cheapie condtioner.

2. To help airdry without dryness, follow this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2pj4tm5GG0&feature=related

3. Alternatively, you could airdry in ponytails, a ponytail-roller set or a traditional roller set.

4. Put a moisturizer (Qhemet makes excellent ones; in an emergency, Pantene Relaxed and Natural has a daily oil moisturizer that should do the trick for now) into your hair before airdrying. Seal with oil.

HTH!

nymane

I have APL hair and just started a journey toward braw strap last Friday. Having a terrible start. Decided to try all the things you ladies have been doing that I have never done before...cowashing, air drying hair with braid out, protein treatment,leave ins, oiling and bunning. I have never done any of those things before. Last Friday I was sooo excited to get started. I cowashed - loved it...hair sooo soft.:yep: Then I did Afogee 2 min and loved it....hair even softer. :yep: Then I put Komaza coconut curl spray for a leave in and a little organic extra virgin coconut oil. I braided my wet hair into 6 braids and was horrified the next morning when I took out my braids. My hair felt like hay it was so dry and that's no exageration. It felt dead. I have been drenching my hair in oil for the last three days and my hair still feels hard. :wallbash: I have not been combing only fingering and have witnessed about 30 broken hairs in my sink. I'm soo upset my stomach hurts. :nono: I only wanted to grow my hair longer....not lose hair to breakage. It's Monday and my hair is getting softer but I had about 10 broken hairs today. I don't know what to do. Right now I just want to go back to my old habits of blowdrying and be satified with APL, but keep telling myself that it's too early to quit. I need advice. I want to air dry because I know it will be healthier and grow longer, but I'm terrified of getting the same results and more breakage. I also don't know what I'm going to do come Friday when it is time for me to wash my hair because if I don't comb my hair out it will mat and knot horribly when washing and when my hair mats and knots during washing I have to cut the mats out...had that happen to me before. But, if I comb my hair I will get more breakage. I'm so disappointed. I spent a lot of time researching only to be setback from the start.:wallbash: Somebody please help.

It seems like your problem came in after you used the Komaza and coconut oil. You said your felt great after co-washing and aphogee...how did it feel when you applied the Komaza? I'd give air drying a second chance...try leaving some of your co-wash conditioner in (don't rinse it all out) and applying your oils and braiding.

Also when it's time to wash and I'm rocking an old braid out, I saturate it in the conditioner I use to co-wash & put a plastic cap on for 1-2 hours. After I do this my hair is soft and pretty much detangled before I even use a comb. Then I rinse, shampoo, DC etc...

Welcome and chin up! It will get better...a year from now you will be amazed :yep:

Last edited:

Researching

Thanks soooo much ladies for the suggestions and help. I'm going to give it another try on Friday (Wash day). This is my plan: 1. DC with Olive Oil Professioal Replenishing Deep Conditioner on dry hair over night 2. Comb out hair in morning (hopefully without any more breakage) 3. Cowash with cheap Suave 4. 2 minute Afogee ( light protein - not hard core 2 step one) 5. Deep condition again with Olive Oil Professional Replenishing Deep Conditioner for 1 hour without heat 6. Air Dry with new leave ins: Wave Nouveau Finishing Mist, S curl wave activator, Afogee Gloss Therepy Polisher, and last Coconut Oil. I feel better now that you all have help me with a plan. Thanks sooo much!!!

HarySituation

Thanks soooo much ladies for the suggestions and help. I'm going to give it another try on Friday (Wash day). This is my plan: 1. DC with Olive Oil Professioal Replenishing Deep Conditioner on dry hair over night 2. Comb out hair in morning (hopefully without any more breakage) 3. Cowash with cheap Suave 4. 2 minute Afogee ( light protein - not hard core 2 step one) 5. Deep condition again with Olive Oil Professional Replenishing Deep Conditioner for 1 hour without heat 6. Air Dry with new leave ins: Wave Nouveau Finishing Mist, S curl wave activator, Afogee Gloss Therepy Polisher, and last Coconut Oil. I feel better now that you all have help me with a plan. Thanks sooo much!!!

NO PROTEIN (even light!):nono:..you already have protein overload because you didnt DC after Aphogee the first time. I would totally skip this step this time untill you get your moisture back.... DC overnight, CoWash, Airdry with Mist, Scurl and coconut oil.

Researching

Okay.. no protein. And no braiding. I will let my hair air dry 75% like lboogie2679 suggested then put in a bun. Thanks for helping I'm soo new and obviously clueless as to what true hair care really means. I never even moisturized before. I'ts amazing that I've had APL all these years, but not so amazing that I've never gone past APL.

Thanks a bunch! You guys are the best!

poookie

I think some of you all may be getting the 2 MIN & 2 STEP mixed up. The 2 min. is not a strong protein like the 2 step does. the 2 minute strengthens, but will not leave your hair feeling hard like the 2 step will.

you absolutely need some sort of protein in your regimen! protein is NOT dangerous, and it will NOT break your hair off. instead, a lack of protein in your regimen will make your hair become weak and fragile. the 2 minute is a good source of protein, & i'm sure that's not what caused your breakage. but no matter what you use, make sure to do a good deep conditioning.

as far as your breakage is concerned, air dried hair is very fragile. manipulating hair that has been air dried can be dangerous.

to soften air dried hair, i'd suggest working in a creamy leave-in conditioner once the hair is fully dried, or a good hair lotion. palmer's has a nice lotion (under the coconut milk line), and a lot of people like Organic Root Stimulator's Olive Oil lotion.

a spray alone will keep airdried hair moisturized as long as it is wet- you need some sort of creamy leave-in conditioner to soften hair once it's dried.

hope that helps :)

Researching

Okay thanks. I'll skip 2 min. Aphogee this week just to be safe and pick it back up again next week. Then I'll use S-curl to moisturize my dry hair as well as wet because that is pretty creamy. NanCeBoTwin and AdoraAdora24 suggested S-curl. NanCeBoTwin has very shiny soft looking hair and AdoraAdora24 also has super long pretty hair. I will try to refrain from manipulating as much as possible. But, I will have to finger comb after a couple days because my hair is rediculously thick and if I don't remove shedding hair I get a tangly mess come wash day. Thanks, your post was helpful.

Kimiche

NO PROTEIN (even light!):nono:..you already have protein overload because you didnt DC after Aphogee the first time. I would totally skip this step this time untill you get your moisture back.... DC overnight, CoWash, Airdry with Mist, Scurl and coconut oil.

Off topic. Girl I thought my shelf had a lot of products on it.:lachen:

blackpearl81

I used to have the same problem....sounds like you using too many protein products at one time (aphogee, coconut leave in, coconut oil)---you're missing the moisture and oil does not penetrate (at least the one ur using doesn't). I also use the Aphogee 2 minute weekly, but I always DC afterwards and use a moisturizing leave-in before air drying....soft, soft, soft:lick:! HTH!

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I used to have the same problem....sounds like you using too many protein products at one time (aphogee, coconut leave in, coconut oil)---you're missing the moisture and oil does not penetrate (at least the one ur using doesn't). I also use the Aphogee 2 minute weekly, but I always DC afterwards and use a moisturizing leave-in before air drying....soft, soft, soft:lick:! HTH!

Coconut oil does penetrate :yep:. But I agree with you...too much protein. I use my Aph 2 min about once a month mixed with a moisturizing con. Like I tell everyone else who's going through overload, I say cowash, bun, leave it alone for 2 days until you're not frantic anymore. You'll make a better assessment then and less manipulation= less unnecessarily broken hairs.

ElegantPearl17

Bumping... Ladies, I was wondering can you use the Aphogee 2 min without shampooing first? If so, do I need to co-wash?? I just washed my hair yesterday, but I'm shedding and really need to add protein to my hair. Any suggestions?