please help! ayuryvedic and other

4mia

im shedding really bad when i wash or comb my hair (long strands)

i think my problem is one of 3 things one shik powders and amla powders, I just started using these and now i have problems(products may be expired) dates say man nov 05. expire nov 10. dont know if this is years or days. i do notice that i can wring my hair after i wash with these and the water is brown. So i wonder if this can damage my hair.

or my mirena (iud) birth control

or i just had a baby boy 3 months ago and maybe its postpartum shedding

i dont know but im not sure what to do, if i should cut or try to save my hair.(hubby do not want me cutting)

please any advise will be great

here is the damage

drasgrl

The expiration date is probably 2010. Did you have shedding before? I'm leaning towards the postpartum shedding than the powders. And yes the water will be brown when you rinse.

4mia

The expiration date is probably 2010. Did you have shedding before? I'm leaning towards the postpartum shedding than the powders. And yes the water will be brown when you rinse.​

okay that was what i was thinking but my brahmi oil has clumps in it? dont know what that is.

i didnt have the shedding like this before but i started using the powders after i had he baby. its like my hair is really weak now, like in the pics you can see the middle of my hair is apl when the the sides are longer. I thought bunning broke it off but i have bunned for a long time and never had a problem.

so its okay that the water after rinsing is brown, when im detangleing after i finished my mirror gets sprayed with brown water spots. ( i detangle on wet hair)

JustKiya

Rinse water being brown is fine, but you need to KEEP rinsing until it's clear - brown spots on the mirror means that some of the powder is still in your hair.....

I suspect the shedding is postpartum - 90 days/3 months is usually around when it rears it's ugly head. And your hair might look broken off because it's the longest (ie, oldest) hairs that are shedding, and it's exposing your 'layers' of length...

The clumps in the Bramhi oil are most likely semi-solid coconut oil - plop it in some hot water and see if they dissolve.

Congrats on the baby!!

Last edited:

drasgrl

I don't have brahmi oil but if it has coconut oil in it that's probably where the clumps are coming form.

4mia

wow i didnt know that, i never had postpartum shedding issues but i have not been serious about haircare until now. I guess the saying about boys is true. They said the shedding is worse.

thanks nappywomyn, he is a joy

thanks drasgrl 2010 does seem more logical, but i wanted to be sure

and now i dont think the oil is rotten or sour

now do anyone know what to do about postpartum shedding??

tia

4mia

so in your honest opinion would you cut it all one length or just let nature take its course and let it grow out?

JustKiya

Pray, and try to not look at the shedding? :perplexed I'm sorry - it's not fun, and no, I don't know of any way to stop it because it's really your body shedding all the hair it DIDN'T shed while you were pregnant. :ohwell:

If you wear buns most of the time, I would just let it grow out. If you wear it down most of the time - you might wanna trim.....

MzOptimistic

You had your baby 3 months ago and you're just now starting to shed? I'm asking this because if you're just now shedding, stop what you are doing and just wash your hair/deep condition your hair once a week. JMO
In all honesty, you really don't know what's causing the shedding. The baby or the powders and a few of the ladies on here had shedding/breakage from using the powders. Maybe they was not mixing the powders, precisely, idk, but what I do know is. I wouldn't take a chance with my hair. Give it some time and wash/ do a protein treatment on your hair. Once again, JMO:grin:

Last edited:

4mia

thank you, that makes alot of sense. My hair was very thick while i was preg. so now its catching up with me.

i thought i would be bald by the end of the week due to this. But i realize now that its natural, i can do buns for a while.

i also think i made the mistake of only using the powders and not using my weekly protein tx, because i just took a piece of dry hair and tested it with sisterslicks method and it broke easily.

thank you both

4mia

You had your baby 3 months ago and you're just now starting to shed? I'm asking this because if you're just now shedding, stop what you are doing and just wash your hair/deep condition your hair once a week. JMO

thats what confused me here is a link to my hair and its conditon just a month ago
http://public.fotki.com/4mia/hair-in-08/random-pics/

and here is the link from 2 weeks ago when i started seeing the breakage
http://public.fotki.com/4mia/hair-in-08/henna--3/1000679.html

big difference. just last week i bought a strainer for my tub because it kept getting clogged. now that i have the strainer i can see how much hair i have been losing and it comes out in little patches like the pics when im detangling in shower

MzOptimistic

thank you, that makes alot of sense. My hair was very thick while i was preg. so now its catching up with me.

i thought i would be bald by the end of the week due to this. But i realize now that its natural, i can do buns for a while.

i also think i made the mistake of only using the powders and not using my weekly protein tx, because i just took a piece of dry hair and tested it with sisterslicks method and it broke easily.

thank you both

Which powders are you using again? I don't use the powders but trust me, I have been following along because I'm trying to decide should I include the powders. Anywho, I read somewhere on here that one powder is for strength and one is for moisturization. So, maybe you are using more of the powder for strength when you should be using more of the powder for moisturization.

JustKiya

Postpartum shedding usually doesn't start until 3-6 months after birth...

What it is: The sudden shedding (sometimes in clumps) that many new mothers experience between three and six months after they give birth.

What causes it: Normally, the average head loses 100 hairs a day — but not all at once, so you don't notice them. During pregnancy, your hormones keep those hairs from falling out (which is why your hair looks as lush as a supermodel's, or is so thick you can barely get a brush through it). But all good things must come to an end, and that includes your awesome new 'do. When those hormones drop back to normal, the extra hairs drop, too.

4mia

Which powders are you using again? I don't use the powders but trust me, I have been following along because I'm trying to decide should I include the powders. Anywho, I read somewhere on here that one powder is for strength and one is for moisturization. So, maybe you are using more of the powder for strength when you should be using more of the powder for moisturization.

the shik powder and amla powder. I mixed it exactly how its suggested on Candy's thread. I completely stopped my weekly protein though while i was using these.

JustKiya

If your hair didn't have enough/had too much protien, it would be breaking, not shedding. You said you are seeing a lot of LONG hairs (do they have their bulbs?) so, I'm thinking shedding.

If anything, the powders might be helping your shedding be a bit less, as one of their properties is to reduce shedding.

I would keep using them, and be sure to rinse out fully, give yourself scalp massages, and KNOW that it will end - and you won't be bald!! :lol:

4mia

Postpartum shedding usually doesn't start until 3-6 months after birth...

thanks for the thread that explains this all in a nutshell. And i actually just stopped breastfeeding a month ago so that may be why im just noticing too.

ill just wait it out and i guess ill be stretching.

thanks, you all are so helpful:grin:

im actually happy now that i know it wasnt the products and that im not going bald

4mia

If your hair didn't have enough/had too much protien, it would be breaking, not shedding. You said you are seeing a lot of LONG hairs (do they have their bulbs?) so, I'm thinking shedding.

If anything, the powders might be helping your shedding be a bit less, as one of their properties is to reduce shedding.

I would keep using them, and be sure to rinse out fully, give yourself scalp massages, and KNOW that it will end - and you won't be bald!! :lol:

i think is shedding too