please help, micro braid question

zoj2

Do you have to have short hair to wear the micro braids that are only braided about an inch from the scalp and the rest is left either straight or wavy? I wish I had a pic. My hair is shoulder length and I would really like to wear that style.

If not, where does the rest of the hair go. I want to buy a hair that has a permenant wave, but how do I hide the rest of my hair? Thanks!

InJesusName

I HAD shoulder length hair and had to cut it after removing micros due to damage. I have read that micros work better on shorter hair. I also had wavy extensions. The braider will usually braid your hair along with the extension hair then tie a knot in it and leave the rest hanging. That's where the danger comes in when you have longer hair. Make sure that your braider braids well past your natural hair before tying the knot so you won't have to cut your own hair when removing the braids. Also, I would not go to anyone who uses any type of glue (like nail glue) to secure the braids. Some braiders like to use gel to make the braids appear neater. I opted not to do this. If you do, bring your own gel that does not dry out the hair (Elasta QP Glaze, Let's Jam, IC with sparklites). Finally, watch your hairline. If it is damaged, DO NOT get micros. Those tiny sections of hair can not withold the stress of a braid being attached to it. It is also a good idea not to wear your braids pulled back a lot, as this adds extra stress to the hair line.

I am not saying not to get them, but I had a really bad experience with them. I basically had to cut and start my hair journey over. I won't get micros again. You may want to try larger braids to be on the safe side. HTH!

zoj2

Thanks for your reply. I might not go with micro braids, but they look so pretty in the magazines! I dunno, I dont want the braid part longer than about an inch, so maybe I'll just go back to sew-ins.

glamazon386

zoj2 said:
Thanks for your reply. I might not go with micro braids, but they look so pretty in the magazines! I dunno, I dont want the braid part longer than about an inch, so maybe I'll just go back to sew-ins.

I order to protect your hair you would have to get it braided down past your hair. If you don't your hair is just going to be exposed and hanging with the extension hair. I have Goddess Braids now that are small but not too small. I like them because they don't seem bulky like some braided styles do. Maybe you could try those out.

Sosoothing

zoj2 said:
Do you have to have short hair to wear the micro braids that are only braided about an inch from the scalp and the rest is left either straight or wavy? I wish I had a pic. My hair is shoulder length and I would really like to wear that style.

If not, where does the rest of the hair go. I want to buy a hair that has a permenant wave, but how do I hide the rest of my hair? Thanks!

I know exactly what you are asking. I have the same problem whenever I want to use wavy extensions but I havent found the answer yet. For now I just braid all the way past my real hair to protect it. Since Im about APL its a waste to buy wavy extensions because I have to braid the waves out. If you ever learn how to do it please let me know.

ajargon02

zoj2 said:

I do singles all the time. Some older photos are in my "peeps" album, photo 20(fotki wont' let me put the link up)it will show you what I mean.
http://public.fotki.com/ajargon02/family_and_friends/my_peeps/108_0861.html

[http://public.fotki.com/ajargon02/the_plan_for_2005/whats_up_for_august/me_for_august_1.html
Now it's just to give you an idea. I REALLY needed to re-do my hair, like bad!

Last edited: