Please Point me in the Right Direction..Help!!!

CosmopolitanChic

I have been triflin I admit it. My buddy, Soulfusion, gave me a membership to LHCF, some years ago. I would go into the threads and look but not follow anyone's suggestions. I was working at the time and just never had the time or energy to do it.

Well...fast forward...I did the big chop in May 2009. At that point I did a texturizer. It did not take that well. I had a straight patch in the front that would not take.

Tried it again in 2 months hair growing, still straight strands. Tried another texturizer about 2 months later, still did not take. Strands still straight. I just decided at that point to not put anything else on my hair. So actually it has been a year since any chemicals have graced my head. Braided my hair and wore lace fronts for about 9 months, it became to hot, lacefronts had to go. Tried a cornrow, unh, uhn, not for me.

Well fast forward to 2 weeks ago, Mom said my hair looked horrible, even though my friends liked the afro and natural curl. Then I started getting calls for interviews. So instead of coming to the board and researching, I became anxious and bought a texturizer, Botanicals, thinking I could ease the curl pattern, just to make it soft enough to throw on a bun. This texturizer made my hair so straight, I see no curl. I am still juicing and co washing with Skala and Suave Tropical Coconut, I love it , it makes my hair fell so wonderful, I think my hair is in love with me again...thanks Soulfusion :grin:for that suggestion .

SO am I not Natural anymore? I have decided not to apply anything else to my hair. I want to be natural by 50. I have about 1 year and 9 months to attain that. I have made up in my mind to get sew ins and to deep condition and juice to my desired length. I do not know what type of hair I have. I need to find that out first.

Can someone tell me what to do or direct me to a thread that would offer suggestions for a complete transition.

I would appreciate your help.

BTW it has grown about 2 inches, but that straight patch will not budge.

Last edited:

lilsparkle825

No, you're not natural. If you have straight patches, it's because of the texturizer. A "texturizer" is just another name for a mild relaxer, so if you left it on for a long time or repeatedly "texturized" your hair, you were relaxing it.

Lots of us have transitioned. I would suggest that there is a long term transitioners thread I know of, and if one of the ladies from that thread comes in, she will be more than happy to point you in the direction of that link. Until you get a transitioning regimen down, I would say keep doing what you are doing with the cowashing. That's a good way to keep your hair moisturized, and from what you are saying your hair likes it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? If you texturized two weeks ago, then you are still relaxed enough not to change your regimen yet.

Lynnerie

^^ I agree.

OP like lilsparkle said no you are not natural. A texturizer, softener, silkener, wave kit etc, they all contain the same ingredients as a relaxer and thats sodium or calcium hydroxide aka LYE. They are just milder forms of relaxers.

I suggest you leave your hair be. If you feel the desire to texturize just get braids or a sew in. Resisting the urge to relax will be worth it in the end.

Whimsy

You can do natural hair for interviews girl!! But since you're relaxed now I guess it's a moot point.

Sounds like you've been up, down and all around with your hair in the last 2 years.

I hope you just find a nice simple regimen and let it grow in nice and healthily.

CosmopolitanChic

No, you're not natural. If you have straight patches, it's because of the texturizer. A "texturizer" is just another name for a mild relaxer, so if you left it on for a long time or repeatedly "texturized" your hair, you were relaxing it.

Lots of us have transitioned. I would suggest that there is a long term transitioners thread I know of, and if one of the ladies from that thread comes in, she will be more than happy to point you in the direction of that link. Until you get a transitioning regimen down, I would say keep doing what you are doing with the cowashing. That's a good way to keep your hair moisturized, and from what you are saying your hair likes it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? If you texturized two weeks ago, then you are still relaxed enough not to change your regimen yet.

Thanks so much and I love your curl pattern. If I can get mine like that...that would be great.

So in other words I have to start all over. Thats okay, I am determined

^^ I agree.

OP like lilsparkle said no you are not natural. A texturizer, softener, silkener, wave kit etc, they all contain the same ingredients as a relaxer and thats sodium or calcium hydroxide aka LYE. They are just milder forms of relaxers.

I suggest you leave your hair be. If you feel the desire to texturize just get braids or a sew in. Resisting the urge to relax will be worth it in the end

Your curl pattern is awesome!! Wow I see I need to exercise a lot of patience and think this through, before I become so anxious, next time, but I'm going to do it. I am so determined.

You can do natural hair for interviews girl!! But since you're relaxed now I guess it's a moot point.

Sounds like you've been up, down and all around with your hair in the last 2 years.

I hope you just find a nice simple regimen and let it grow in nice and healthily.

Thanks Whimsy, Your hair is really beautiful, Soulfusion came and got me out of another thread to vote for you, and I did. She so crazy..

Thanks ladies for answering my question. I am going to to try this again. I am not going to chop this time, but follow your suggestions about the sew ins and braid ups.

Whimsy

Thanks for the vote!!!

hey, if you're gunna transition go to the transitioning support threads. they helped me through mine.

Good luck!!!