Ponytail - Breakage - Beware

G

I just went to the hair stylist yesterday, and I had ALOT of growth, but the back center was choppy and broken off I was kinda devasted.

She said that the breakage was from wearing my bun & ponytail so much
crazy.gif
I'm confused, I thought "protective" styles were to "protect" from breakage???

has anyone had this happen to them?

I dont pull tight
I use satin or soft materail ponytail holder
I don't understand.
crazy.gif

o that sucks!! sorry to hear this..... i prefer not to wear a scruncie at all, and just twist my hair around it self{cinnamon bun}, and use a open hair pin to secure, i feel better when i do this, i got tired of seeing hairs come out on the ponytail holder when i take my hair down.....

My Mom has this because she wears a ponytail all of the time. She wore hers low but when she moved it up more towards the middle of her head the breakage decreased.

Hey,
I don't do ponytails for that very reason. It just doesn't benefit me to have an elastic of any type in my hair for longer than the drying time. I use claw clips only now.

Oh my God, MM. this is not good news. I don't get it....I wore a ponytail for years (I mean 15 years) with no damage,,,,,and I still wear them occasionally...

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

the hair can always recover from breakage w/proper care. I had severe hair breakage after giving birth to my son. The hair recovering is questionable only when there is scalp damage.

Yeah, I think it's a good idea to not use a holder of any kind (if it's not working for you). I wore a pony tail for years and the front sides of my hair were ALWAYS short and broken compared to the back. Ever since I started the bun challenge, with no holders, the front sides of my hair are finally catching up with the back. And I KNOW this is because I dont use anything to keep my hair in place but a good hair days pin or some hair sticks. Also its good to put extra moisture (something with slip) in the area where you are about to twist...in other words, the area where you would have put the holder...This has definitely worked for me.That and moisture, moisture, moisture
smile.gif

yeah lots of moisture and no holders, mabe a clAw or a stick or a hair friendly pin.....when i put a ouchless band in my hair, i still feel as if i am strangling or cutting into my hair...i just dont feel safe...i use shea butter or jheri juice and water always to moisturise b4 twisting my hair up.....

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
Oh my God, MM. this is not good news. I don't get it....I wore a ponytail for years (I mean 15 years) with no damage,,,,,and I still wear them occasionally...

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's what's so confusing. I used to always were them to with no problem.

[ QUOTE ]
karezone said:
[ QUOTE ]
karezone said:
I use the Scunci geoclips. They are great smooth and hold very well.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here is a pic geoclips

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd you know I was gonna ask what they were
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

same here Sherry, still do it all the time, i mean like its my only style when its natural.......i dont get it either.

I used to wear a ponytail eyeryday a few years ago with hardly no breakage. Well, during the summer I wore claw clips and it tore a huge section of my crown area out.
frown.gif

That happened to me a long time ago when I used to wear tight rubber bands in my hair. The hairdresser told me that it was causing my hair to break, so I switched to ponytail holders. But my ponytails were still tight. Now when I wear a ponytail --which is everday! -- I make sure that it's *really* loose. I use those thick terry-like ponytail holders.

I find that if I move my ponytail around it protects it from breakage. Meaning, I wear it low one day and the middle of my head the next day, I just keep moving it.

I think you definitely can get breakage from ponytails but I haven't figured all of the reasons why. I know when I did get breakage, it was b/c I pulled too tight or I wore a cotton scrunchy. I have pretty been wearing some kind of ponytail for 6 months now and I haven't gotten any breakage. I do like to vary up my styles and ways of ponytails though. Not sure what the formula is though to keep breakage away.

Was the breakage from the middle of the ponytail? or the outside of the ponytail where it would be next to the scrunchy?

I'm curious as to what Adrienne's thoughts on this are. Doesn't the baggie technique that she's used for so long require putting your hair in a ponytail before the baggie goes on? Adrienne, are you out there? Any issues with your ponytail holders?

I'm so sorry that happened...when I have gotten breakage from wearing a bun or ponytail it was because of either extreme: too dry or too damp/wet. Particularly with damp hair...I had some breakage after doing conditioner washes with conditioner that didn't agree with my hair. I also noticed that if I twist it while its really really damp, I'll get some breakage. Its almost like that it 'stretches' when damp, and when it drys it trys to shrink back, but if you have it pulled tight, it'll break at those stretch points. I don't know if thats a sound theory but thats what I observed with my own hair. When I take steps to make sure the bun is secured but not taunt I don't have breakage.

I thought the idea was to braid up your hair put it into a bun...put the baggie over it then the stocking to cover it then you "tie" it up then you put on the phonytail then you add another scrunchy. So this way you have 2 barriers between your hair and any scrunchy or hair tie. You have the plastic baggie and the stocking to cover the baggie. JMO. This is what I would do
smile.gif

I may be one of the very few on here but I NEVER wear my hair in a ponytail because of that reason. My hair breaks very easily when pulled up no matter what I do to it. I know a lot of people say it is bad on here but I wear my hair down everyday and my hair still grows and is healthy. What works for one may not work for everyone. Ponytails and buns might not be for you.

[ QUOTE ]
Babygurl said:
I find that if I move my ponytail around it protects it from breakage. Meaning, I wear it low one day and the middle of my head the next day, I just keep moving it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Babygurl, that's what she said,
smile.gif
move it around don't wear it in the same spot everyday.

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Was the breakage from the middle of the ponytail? or the outside of the ponytail where it would be next to the scrunchy?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's visble on the outside, but I don't understand why the middle?? Why not the sides which to me would make more sense. But she said she see's this alot, esp in young teens that wear their hair like that.

When I had my bad cut two yrs ago the sides were like 2-3 inches longer than the back I tried to convice her that that spot just had not caught up yet. Be she was adamant about it.

Kaela, that does make sense, I see hair on the scurchie after airdrying.

But again, I've been doing this for over a year and just noticed this breaking. It prob. was doing it little by little. I just hope it grows back soon. When I showed my husband how much my hair had grown he said it "looks great, but what's that spot in the middle"
crazy.gif

I'm gonna try to post a pic to see if you all think's it real bad.

Here's the link. It's actually looks better in the pic's than it really is. The area of the Red Crayon.

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b34640e6e49?/url

Wow.I experienced the same thing when I used to wear buns alot,but I used the hair bands with the balls on the end and the metal in the center (OUCH). Needless to say,my hair broke off something terrible in the center-you would have thought I had layered my hair (looked cute,but was damaged). Anyway, my beautician did not know what was causing it and neither did I,but now I know.

Back