Source: http://www.newstarget.com/003210.html

Popular shampoos contain toxic chemicals linked to nerve damage

Researchers at the National Institutes of Health have found a correlation
between an ingredient found in shampoos and nervous system damage. The
experiments were conducted with the brain cells of rats and they show that
contact with this ingredient called methylisothiazoline, or MIT, causes
neurological damage.

Which products contain this chemical compound MIT? Head and Shoulders,
Suave, Clairol and Pantene Hair Conditioner all contain this ingredient.
Researchers are concerned that exposure to this chemical by pregnant women
could put their fetus at risk for abnormal brain development. In other
people, exposure could also be a factor in the development of Alzheimer's
disease and other nervous system disorders.

The chemical causes these effects by preventing communication between
neurons. Essentially, it slows the networking of neurons, and since the
nervous system and brain function on a system of neural networks, the
slowing of this network will suppress and impair the normal function of the
brain and nervous system.

These finding were presented December 5th at the American Society for Cell
Biology annual meeting.

I have frequently warned readers about the dangers of using brand-name
personal care products. The vast majority of these products contain toxic
chemical compounds like MIT that contribute to cancer, liver disorders and
neurological diseases. In fact, this chemical, MIT, is just one of dozens of
such chemicals that are found in personal care products.

Why are these dangerous personal care products allowed to remain on the
market? Because the FDA, which is responsible for regulating these products,
spends almost no time, money or effort actually investigating the safety of
such products. Instead, the FDA spends the vast majority of its time
approving new prescription drugs rather than protecting the public against
the dangers from such drugs or personal care products like shampoos, soaps,
deodorants and fragrance products.

In fact, it may surprise you to learn that manufacturers can put
practically any chemical they want into shampoos, even if it is a hazardous
chemical listed in the RTECS database of toxicity and even if it is
considered a toxic waste chemical by the EPA. The FDA allows all sorts of
chemicals to be used in these products, including chemicals that are known
carcinogens and that contribute to liver failure and nervous system
disorders. How's that for protecting public health?

If you thought prescription drugs were dangerous, just take a look at the
toxic chemicals found in personal care products used by virtually all
Americans every single day. Americans bathe themselves in toxic chemicals
and they do it by buying and using products made by brand name companies
that have premier shelf positioning at convenience stores, grocery stores
and discount clubs.

One of the more curious personal care products on the market is Herbal
Essences Shampoo by Clairol. Personally, I think this product is a joke
because it's trying to exploit the word "herbal" to imply that the shampoo
is healthy, even though it is primarily made with the same ingredients as
other popular shampoos. The first three ingredients, for example, are:
water, sodium laureth, and sodium lauryl sulfate. Big deal, huh? You can
find the same three ingredients in 99-cent shampoo at Wal-Mart. Plus, the
product contains all sorts of other ingredients that I personally would
never allow to touch my skin (like methylchloroisothiazolinone, if you can
believe there's actually a chemical with a name that long). Think the color
of the shampoo is from the herbs? Think again. Three other ingredients in
the shampoo are Yellow #5, Orange #4 and Violet #2.

In other words, this is a shampoo product purchased by naive consumers, in
my opinion. People who really know herbs and natural products can only laugh
at a product like this. Want a real shampoo? Buy Olive Oil Shampoo from
Heritage Products, available at most natural health stores.

The bottom line to all of this, though, is that every week, it seems like
we see a new announcement about some toxic chemical found in personal care
products that is related to either cancer or neurological disorders. And yet
week after week these products are being sold by retailers and consumed in
large quantities by the American people who remain oblivious to the real
damage these products are causing to their health.

Once again, the solution here is to protect yourself by learning the truth
about these products and switching to products made with safe ingredients.
There are safe shampoos, safe soaps, safe laundry detergents, dishwashing
liquids and even deodorant products. You don't have to expose yourself to
toxic chemicals to take care of personal hygiene, because whether you agree
with it or not, these disease-causing chemicals are going to remain quite
legal in the use of personal care products for many years to come. Why? You
can bet that the manufacturers of these products will fight against any
attempt to regulate or outlaw these toxic chemicals. That's because the
chemicals are convenient for such manufacturers. It's much the same way in
which food manufacturers use sodium nitrate in bacon and other packaged
meats. It's all about their convenience rather than protecting your health.

So, here's the idiot test for today: if I was standing on a street corner
with a bottle of colored liquid, and I told you that liquid contained a
toxic chemical that caused neurological disorders, Alzheimer's disease and
birth defects, would you buy that product from me and scrub it into your
scalp under warm water?

Of course not. But if you're buying these popular shampoo products, that's
exactly what you're doing right now. Such is the power of brand marketing in
America.

Overview:

Popular shampoos contain toxic chemicals linked to nerve damage

Source: http://www.newstarget.com/003210.html

All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected
under Free Speech. Truth Publishing LLC takes sole responsibility for all
content. Truth Publishing sells no hard products and earns no money from the
recommendation of products. Newstarget.com is presented for educational and
commentary purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice
from any licensed practitioner. It is not intended as a substitute for the
diagnosis, treatment or advice of a qualified professional. Truth Publishing
assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material.

Isis

Thank you for the article. I'm getting ready to download the author's free e-book also about chlorella and spirulina. :yep:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I always wondered about the ingredient methylisothiazoline... :scratchch

:think: ...but have you thought about the idea that the voice of this article be natural/organic product pushers???

'Cause my hair LOVES Suave Conditioner and it loved Herbal Essence Shampoo when I used it in the past! :yep:

star

This is good info. I heard that sulfate is not good either and this is in my Kercare Shampoo. I am going to be switching to organic products very soon especially since I shampoo twice a week. Thanks for info :look:

tryn2growmyhair

Shampoosie SPECIFICALLY names that meth ingredient as one that is good for the hair -- look it up in his book. This was posted on the board before -- people called it the rat killer ingredient or something like that. Well, I TRIED to stop using the products that had it and, you know what, my hair did not do as well. For some reason, my hair loves products that have this stuff in it. AND a LOT of good products do. Including CON and MNT. Does anyone know what it does?

IvyMichael

Ladies, I decided to check out the actual study on the NIH website, and surprise, they have no such study referring to rats and methylisothiazolinone. The chemical is a compound used in cosmetics, hairdressings, and industrial applications and for workers in certain industrial settings, there is an occupational hazard for exposure to it. HOWEVER, the only thing that it produces is an allergic contact dermatitis. That's a lot less serious than the neuro damage the article is talking about. Here's the abstract of a study that was done about methylisothiazolinone and related compunds (found on PubMed):

Contact Dermatitis. 1999 Jul;41(1):1-13.

An update of the risk assessment for methylchloroisothiazolinone/methylisothiazolinone (MCI/MI) with focus on rinse-off products.

Fewings J, Menne T.

Department of Dermatology, University of Copenhagen, Gentofte Hospital, Denmark.

Methylchloroisothiazolinone/methylisothiazolinone (MCI/MI) has been widely used during the last 20 years for the preservation of aqueous systems in cosmetics, toiletries and in various industrial applications. MCI/MI has a broad spectrum of activity against fungi and bacteria at very low concentrations. The allergic contact potential of MCI/MI has been known for many years. This paper provides a review of pre-clinical and clinical experimental studies as well as experience from dermatology clinics worldwide. This forms the basis for an update of the risk assessment for the use of MCI/MI in rinse-off products. The scientific data indicate that the actual sensitization rate observed with a contact allergen is extremely dependent on dose and type of exposure. This review of the data leads to the conclusion that, under normal use conditions, within the current permitted/ recommended use concentrations for MCI/MI of up to 15ppm, the risk of primary sensitization from the use of rinse-off products is negligible, and elicitation of allergic contact dermatitis in MCI/MI-sensitized individuals rare, after exposure to MCI/MI-preserved rinse-off products.

Hope that helps

Ivy

esoterica

Aubrey Organics shampoos etc dont contain any of that mess.... so there are options out there. we should know by now that what we put ON our bodies ends up INSIDE our bodies. good ole dermal absorbtion.

Neroli

Seems pretty much EVERYTHING is toxic or causes nerve damage or cancer or SOMETHING -- the price of living in an advanced society. I mean, if you think about it too hard, eggs, meat, milk and other dairy products, etc. are all "toxic" because of the feed and hormones that are pumped into the chickens and cows (plus the highly chemicalized farming practices of American agriculture in general -- you will be shocked at what goes into the soil that grows our food, but that's another thread . . . ). Even the air we breathe is "toxic" under certain conditions, especially those of us living in metro areas (ever see the pollution index in Los Angeles or Atlanta on HOT summer day? Enough to scare you to stay indoors with the air filters on!)

I guess my point is, we ought to use common sense and caution with everything, from food choices to haircare.

BTW, I tried the "all natural" 'poos from Aubrey, Nature's Gate etc. and they all leave my hair stripped, like a clarifying 'poo and I just RAN back to my nexxus therappe 'cause my hair no likey "all natural" ingredients. . .

Shinka

Neroli said:
Seems pretty much EVERYTHING is toxic or causes nerve damage or cancer or SOMETHING -- the price of living in an advanced society. I mean, if you think about it too hard, eggs, meat, milk and other dairy products, etc. are all "toxic" because of the feed and hormones that are pumped into the chickens and cows (plus the highly chemicalized farming practices of American agriculture in general -- you will be shocked at what goes into the soil that grows our food, but that's another thread . . . ). Even the air we breathe is "toxic" under certain conditions, especially those of us living in metro areas (ever see the pollution index in Los Angeles or Atlanta on HOT summer day? Enough to scare you to stay indoors with the air filters on!)

I guess my point is, we ought to use common sense and caution with everything, from food choices to haircare.

BTW, I tried the "all natural" 'poos from Aubrey, Nature's Gate etc. and they all leave my hair stripped, like a clarifying 'poo and I just RAN back to my nexxus therappe 'cause my hair no likey "all natural" ingredients. . .

You're right. That's why i have membership with A Total Wellness company where I get high quality non-toxic products primarily composed of tea tree oil at wholesale prices. I use their products all over my home. If I can reduce my allergens and other toxins by using natural products which are cheaper in my home, I better off in the long run. Before I switch I was developing really bad hives and the doctors couldn't determine the allergen. It's an unfortunate reality but we are not complete victims of it. We have to make a choice and i'm glad I found a company that makes it affordable. The Local health food stores are overpriced. Even Dr. Bonners has poor quality to me and cost too much. But to each her own. I'm not trying to live my life without ingesting and inhaling all this chemicals.

I'm already relaxing my hair ( absorping what ever lye or no lye sodium based chemicals blah blah through me head)... All I can do is try to cut down on other "bad" products.

miracle

tryn2growmyhair said:
Shampoosie SPECIFICALLY names that meth ingredient as one that is good for the hair -- look it up in his book. This was posted on the board before -- people called it the rat killer ingredient or something like that. Well, I TRIED to stop using the products that had it and, you know what, my hair did not do as well. For some reason, my hair loves products that have this stuff in it. AND a LOT of good products do. Including CON and MNT. Does anyone know what it does?

I haven't had much luck with all natural products either. :( I tried the Kenra Moisturizing and Pave`s Professional and both left my hair looking and feeling like a science experiment that went totally wrong. I haven't had that problem at all with my MNT or Dove (which contain sulfates), so I think I'll just stick to using those. If my hair likes it, I love it.

UmSumayyah

I may have to start using my Indian shampoo bar exclusively, though none of my current shampoos contain this chemical.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
miracle said:
I haven't had much luck with all natural products either. :( I tried the Kenra Moisturizing and Pave`s Professional and both left my hair looking and feeling like a science experiment that went totally wrong. I haven't had that problem at all with my MNT or Dove (which contain sulfates), so I think I'll just stick to using those. If my hair likes it, I love it.
I didnt know Kenra Moisturizing products were natural.