Porosity strand test, need help.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Last night I did the strand test (on a shedded hair) where I toss a strand of hair in water but umm...I must have done something wrong as it never sank to the bottom of the cup. It was still floating this morning.
Suggestions? :look:

HeChangedMyName

was the hair freshly washed? if not, then whatever products you had on your hair must have just been doing their job and keeping your strand sealed

next time, get a shed hair out of the comb after you've washed and clarified but before applying any condish. Let the shed hair totally dry and then do the test again. . . .or just get some shed hair now and wash it with dawn dish detergent(works REALLY well to strip off product) let it dry and then try the test.

divachyk

was the hair freshly washed? if not, then whatever products you had on your hair must have just been doing their job and keeping your strand sealed

next time, get a shed hair out of the comb after you've washed and clarified but before applying any condish. Let the shed hair totally dry and then do the test again. . . .or just get some shed hair now and wash it with dawn dish detergent(works REALLY well to strip off product) let it dry and then try the test.

off topic -- I love your bun. Is it a sock bun?

divachyk

yep it's my very first sock bun. . . .I can't find it now, I'm distraught. lol
sorry -- it's gorgeous. what did you use to secure the bun? i made myself a sock bun but have been too chicken to try it because i don't want hair rubbing against the sock. i need to use some type of satin/silk cover on top of the sock as protection.

HeChangedMyName

sorry -- it's gorgeous. what did you use to secure the bun? i made myself a sock bun but have been too chicken to try it because i don't want hair rubbing against the sock. i need to use some type of satin/silk cover on top of the sock as protection.

After I made my sock bun, I covered it with a knee high, just by rolling it in just like when you make the actual bun. I'd slather mine in some type of creamy leave in before I put it in so that I got a double whammy of a cute style. . .plus my ends were marinating.

to secure mine, I just use a regular elastic band to slip over the sock bun and hold the ends down.

how do you do the strand test?

You drop a piece of hair onto the surface of some clean water in a bowl and depending upon how quickly the hair sinks, it will let you know how porous your hair is. The faster it absorbs the water and sinks, the more porous it is.