Postpartum hair shedding?

blasianbeauty

Has anyone experienced this after they gave birth? If so, was it very mild or severe? Is there anything that can be done to help minimize the hair loss? Thanks in advanced....

I don't have kids but my old hairdresser had severe shedding after the birth of her son. She had thick, waist length hair before her pregnancy. She tried different types of treatments, but her hair kept getting thinner and thinner. She eventually cut it all off.

I had severe shedding starting at 3-months postpartum and lasting for 6-7 months. It was absolutely devastating. My hair was sooooooooo thin when it finally subsided. That is part of the reason I found the hairboards.

I don't have kids but my old hairdresser had severe shedding after the birth of her son. She had thick, waist length hair before her pregnancy. She tried different types of treatments, but her hair kept getting thinner and thinner. She eventually cut it all off.
Wow! :eek: Well, I recently cut my hair, so maybe I'll keep it this length for a year until all of the shedding stops. That was a LOT of hair that she lost! :sad:

I had severe shedding starting at 3-months postpartum and lasting for 6-7 months. It was absolutely devastating. My hair was sooooooooo thin when it finally subsided. That is part of the reason I found the hairboards.
Oh my...I didn't realize it can last that long. Can extra vitamins help decrease the shedding, or is this inevitable?

Oh my...I didn't realize it can last that long. Can extra vitamins help decrease the shedding, or is this inevitable?

I've heard a lot of people say that garlic shampoo helped to reduce it ,but other than that I think you just have to weather the storm.

I lost A Lot of hair about 3 months after giving birth . It came out in clumps and the hair along my edges and the nape area was basically bald. I don't remember how long it lasted, but it was traumatic and I think I made it worse by stressing over it.
My advice is to maintain taking your prenatal vitamins for at least 6 months after the birth and make sure your iron levels are fine. For whatever reason, I stopped taking my vits after the baby was born and I think this exacerbated the problem.

mine was SEVERE. right after my son turned 3 months old, it started coming out left and right. i lucked out and didn't end up with any bald patches... but let me put it this way. my hair was 3x thicker (at least) cuz i barely shed at all while preggo. and my post-partum shedding only lasted a month. i lost A LOT of hair all at once. :perplexed

i was told that breastfeeding on demand and continuing to take your prenatal vitamins would help - i followed those directions to a T and still had issues. my mom said her shedding was more gradual (lasting several months) with me and my sis, so perhaps it's worse when you have a boy? different things happen to different people, shoot each pregnancy is different as well so who knows... :spinning:

Back