Pre and Post Touchup Treatements - LONG

Neroli

I'm at week 10 post touchup and will be retouching in 2 weeks and would like some input re: which treatment to use the week before and the week after touching up. I am asking because there was some discussion re: the different kinds of proteins and how nexxus emergencee is actually a polymer rather than a "true" protein like keraphix and that it may be good to alternate between both for optimal results.

Well, I'm wondering whether it's better to use the emergencee BEFORE touch up so that the "polymers" seal and protect the hair strands from the chemicals. Nexxus recommends emergencee prior to all chemicals) and then use the omnipak 1 week AFTER touchup to restore proteins and moisture. Omnipak is a mixture of keraphix, epitome, humectress and botanoil and Nexxus recommends clarifying before applying this deep conditioning treatment. I'm leaning towards option A below for maximum results with couple of questions:

--should I clarify before or after touchup?
--what is the effect of colourshines in the protein mix? I'm thinking it's a "polymer" of some sort.
--is this too much protein in a 3 week period?.

Option A:
1. emergencee 1 week before touchup
2. touchup with affirm mild followed by clear colourshines
3. omnipack 1 week after touchup

Option B:
1. omnipak 1 week before touch up
2. touch up with affirm followed by clear colourshines
3. emergencee 1 week after touchup

I await your sage comments/suggestions with great antcipation... TIA!

webby

Think Slim
Neroli said:
--should I clarify before or after touchup?
--what is the effect of colourshines in the protein mix? I'm thinking it's a "polymer" of some sort.
--is this too much protein in a 3 week period?.
I can't answer these questions, but can't wait to hear the responses. However....

Option A
Option A:
1. emergencee 1 week before touchup
2. touchup with affirm mild followed by clear colourshines
3. omnipack 1 week after touchup
is close to my own routine.

I use emergencee the week prior to my touchup>
Get my touchup and redality colourshines>
Use Penetrait a week following touchup

Neroli

webby said:
I can't answer these questions, but can't wait to hear the responses. However....

Option A
is close to my own routine.

I use emergencee the week prior to my touchup>
Get my touchup and redality colourshines>
Use Penetrait a week following touchup

Thanks Webby. From the prior discussion, emergencee, colourshines and penetrait were all classified as polymers and I see you wrap all 3 around your touchup time. Do you use "true" proteins in between touchups? TIA

webby

Think Slim
Neroli said:
Thanks Webby. From the prior discussion, emergencee, colourshines and penetrait were all classified as polymers and I see you wrap all 3 around your touchup time. Do you use "true" proteins in between touchups? TIA

I promote alternating. I use penetrait, which I consider a light protein right after the touchup, the next washing, I use a moisturizing conditioner, the following week I bump up to the big-boy protein (emergencee) and keep alternating.

I try not to use any one type of product two weeks in a row...this minimizes the chances of my hair become immune to the effects. Does this make sense?

Neroli

webby said:
I promote alternating. I use penetrait, which I consider a light protein right after the touchup, the next washing, I use a moisturizing conditioner, the following week I bump up to the big-boy protein (emergencee) and keep alternating.

I try not to use any one type of product two weeks in a row...this minimizes the chances of my hair become immune to the effects. Does this make sense?

It does indeed. Thanks!

candibaby

I don't think it matters. I normally do Option A (Emergencee before touchup, Keraphix after) but this time I did Keraphix before and am doing Emergencee on my next wash to see if one is better than the other.

I can't really answer your other questions, because I never clarify nor have used colourshines, but I don't think that is too much protein at all.

MJ

As with my last touch up, I usually wash my hair and do a cholesterol (lekair or queen helene) treatment a few days before touch up. Then I'd bring a mixture, I mix myself, of keraphix, humectress, and jojoba which I have the hairdresser put in my hair as an after-relaxer deep conditioner & protein treatment. That mixture does wonders for my hair. Hope that helps.

MJ

Boy, I'm a little short today. Before my last touch I did my molasses & egg treatment, which is basically a moisturizing cholesterol treatment followed by an ACV rinse (clarifying). Then I had the hairdresser add the mixture mentioned above after the relaxer. The result were the best, you can check my album for the results.

Neroli

mzjones said:
Boy, I'm a little short today. Before my last touch I did my molasses & egg treatment, which is basically a moisturizing cholesterol treatment followed by an ACV rinse (clarifying). Then I had the hairdresser add the mixture mentioned above after the relaxer. The result were the best, you can check my album for the results.

mzjones, your hair is just beautiful -- shiny and full-body -- wow!!

sengschick

The Bun Master
I meant to read this thread yesterday and never got around to it! :ohwell: I can never recall what I do after my relaxer. But I do Emergencee the week before or even the wash before if I'm that together. I had a little panic attack the last time I re-touched (b/c it was my 1st time) b/c I swore I still had relaxer in one spot and over-used the stupid neutralizer which really stripped that section. So I used the stuff in my kit (Phyto Milky Reconstructor), but then I wanted insurance and actually poo'd again w/Botanoil poo and followed w/20 mins of Keraphix, Humctress and Botanical Oil (under heat). My hair was so amazingly soft and revitalized. I'm thinking I probably just used Humctress the next wash (I try to wait 72 hrs) and then another Kera-Hum-Bot combo (a full 7 days after processing).

Tracy

I also like Option A. But I use Emergencee before AND after a touch up. Not directly after, but the very next wash.....

I don't do the Omnipak per se, but I do something similar and I do that the 2nd wash after a touch up. Usually the Emergencee 1 week post and the Omnipak type treatment 2 weeks post.

Neroli

Tracy said:
I also like Option A. But I use Emergencee before AND after a touch up. Not directly after, but the very next wash.....

I don't do the Omnipak per se, but I do something similar and I do that the 2nd wash after a touch up. Usually the Emergencee 1 week post and the Omnipak type treatment 2 weeks post.

I think I'll do the emergencee pre & post and the omnipak 2nd week after touchup as you indicate. Couple of questions:

1. I guess this NOT too much polymer/protein in a 3-week period?
2. Do you clarify at time you do the 2nd emergencee 1 week post or when?
2. re: colourshines, do you use sebastian cello dry 'poo as indicated on the bottle or just any good moisturizing poo, i.e., nexxus therappe? I am thinking of doing touchup in following order:

A. protecto/gentle assurance
B. affirm relaxer creme
C. 5in1
D. affirm normalizing 'poo
C. colourshines
E. therappe (or the cello 'poo if yall think necessary)
D. positive link

Thanks for the feedback Tracy. I was hoping you'd weigh in with your colourshines experience . . . .

Tracy

Neroli said:
I think I'll do the emergencee pre & post and the omnipak 2nd week after touchup as you indicate. Couple of questions:

1. I guess this NOT too much polymer/protein in a 3-week period?
2. Do you clarify at time you do the 2nd emergencee 1 week post or when?
2. re: colourshines, do you use sebastian cello dry 'poo as indicated on the bottle or just any good moisturizing poo, i.e., nexxus therappe? I am thinking of doing touchup in following order:

A. protecto/gentle assurance
B. affirm relaxer creme
C. 5in1
D. affirm normalizing 'poo
C. colourshines
E. therappe (or the cello 'poo if yall think necessary)
D. positive link

Thanks for the feedback Tracy. I was hoping you'd weigh in with your colourshines experience . . . .

Your touch up order looks great, actually (if you're used to that neutralize after conditioner thing...makes me scurred :lol: ). I don't think it's too much protein/polymer in 3 weeks because (and only because - but ur right, it is a lot under normal circumstances) of the chemical. Give your hair as much protein as it can handle sandwiched around that chemical treatment, and your hair will thank you for it, is my experience. I use whatever shampoo when I use colorshines. I would clarify BEFORE the first Emergencee treatment, if I was gonna. The one before the touch up. I wouldn't subject my hair to harsh shampoos POST touch up since the neutralizing shampoos are usually pretty harsh on their own. :)

Neroli

Tracy said:
Your touch up order looks great, actually (if you're used to that neutralize after conditioner thing...makes me scurred :lol: ). I don't think it's too much protein/polymer in 3 weeks because (and only because - but ur right, it is a lot under normal circumstances) of the chemical. Give your hair as much protein as it can handle sandwiched around that chemical treatment, and your hair will thank you for it, is my experience. I use whatever shampoo when I use colorshines. I would clarify BEFORE the first Emergencee treatment, if I was gonna. The one before the touch up. I wouldn't subject my hair to harsh shampoos POST touch up since the neutralizing shampoos are usually pretty harsh on their own. :)

I'm used to the affirm system (protect, relax, low ph. reconstruct conditioner, neutralize, low ph moisturizing conditioner). What relaxer do you use? Thanks again for the tips, especially re: clarifying . . .

Tracy

Neroli said:
I'm used to the affirm system (protect, relax, low ph. reconstruct conditioner, neutralize, low ph moisturizing conditioner). What relaxer do you use? Thanks again for the tips, especially re: clarifying . . .

I use Arosci. I know this is Affirm's system, I just always flinch when people mention it because it scares ME. Not because it's not, in fact, safe. :cool:

You're doing exactly the right thing! :)

Neroli

Tracy said:
I use Arosci. I know this is Affirm's system, I just always flinch when people mention it because it scares ME. Not because it's not, in fact, safe. :cool:

You're doing exactly the right thing! :)
LOL. Okay. I was very skeptical too at first . . .