Pre Poo'ing vs Deep Con. vs Co-washing?

Which of these 3 do you get Optimal Results?

• Pre 'pooing

Votes: 94 12.3%
  • Deep Conditioning

Votes: 417 54.7%
  • Co-Washing

Votes: 131 17.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 120 15.7%

• Total voters
I don't even use conditioner separate anymore cause I use Suave shampoo plus conditioner and I love it.

So, pre poo and weekly overnight DC works for me.

Co washing for me simply coats my hair & makes it feel weird. Booo to me! Pre pooing I have noooo idea if its benefiting my hair. Maybe its internal?? I just don't see any difference or change in the texture or maintenance. Now deep conditioning is so good to me. :) My hair end up so soft and fluffy. Yummy!

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

Team Cowash here! I do a Mega Tek concoction deep condition, and then a cowash with Deva Curl No Poo, and Wen the next day. I cannot Tell you how awesome my hair has been feeling!! :grin:

I vote for dc'ing. Especially int he winter because I don't co-wash. As long as I dc and use a good leave in my hair can stay moisturized for days.

Pre-pooing did not really make a difference in my hair. It worked really great on my nieces 4b transitioning hair.

co-washing is great for the summer but does not leave my hair moisturized enough for me to skip dc'ing.

My sentiments exactly.

I always pre poo, but I've learned that my 4b hair loves loves loves water. Cowashing really helps keep my hair healthy. I have color so I make sure that I pre poo every time I wash or cowash my hair. When I pre poo, I put it on and leave it for a couple of hours or overnight. Does that count as dc? I have a sit under dryer but I'm too busy too just sit under the dryer.

Victorian said:
I do all three! :lol: I co-wash 6 days a week, and on my shampoo day I will either pre-poo or deep condition, depending on what I feel like doing. But I think con washing is the most important thing I do :yep:

Aren't your hair shedding yet? Geez i used to cowash that often and my hair started falling and thinning ,it ' s alot of manipulation and stress for the hair to be wet that often.

To answer the question ,pree poo with oil works well ,DC is the most beneficial step of my routine ,CW goves good results if my hair is relatively clean prior washing .

Last edited:
Aren't your hair shedding yet? Geez i used to cowash that often and my hair started falling and thinning ,it ' s alot of manipulation and stress for the hair to be wet that often.

To answer the question ,pree poo with oil works well ,DC is the most beneficial step of my routine ,CW goves good results if my hair is relatively clean prior washing .

Pity it didn't work for you. I love co-washing regularly!

I cowash every other day and dc every saturday. I leave them in for an hour so the results are the same so I say both

I grease my scalp the night before I shampoo idk if thats a pre poo or not

Last edited:
I wash with a cleansing con every sat and DC with either a treatment or a masque. I predeepoo on fridays before my wash. On tues I dc with regular conditioner like a 3-5 min conditioner for a few hrs on dry hair then rinse it out. Hth

I deep condition once every week with a heating cap. I condition wash 3 times a week. I pre poo every once in a blue. So deep conditioning hands down is what keeps my hair, strong so it can grow long! Oh yea, and I most certainly can't forget my protein treatment, which is a whole extra step in itself. Lol

I've been looking for the proper thread to say this in but........ PRE-POOING CHANGED MY LIFE YESTERDAY!!!!! I have never seen the tangles melt away the way that they did. My hair has never had this much definition and it was even clumping (yes my 4bhair that I never thought would clump did) before I detangled with conditioner in. I did both a light-protein treatment and DC as well but my hair (that I thought was protein sensitive) was so soft and manageable that I knew the Pre-poo made a difference. It's fully dry now and still like "buttah" LOL.

it's now a permanent part of my reggie :grin:

I don't prepoo. I just don't see the need or benefit. I do co-washes every now and again but deep conditioning brings my hair back to life!

Prepooing I usually do after a relaxer or before clarifying. Otherwise, it really does nothing for me but waste shampoo.

Cowash is seasonal for me but this just make my hair feel yucky.

Deep conditioning is the only that makes a difference in my hair. It's my holy grail.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

I pre poo , co- wash, and deep condition. I think of it as building a foundation for healthy, happy hair. I selected pre poo as the most important for me. I use coconut oil or raw honey- the building blocks for strong, moisturized hair . My hair gets natural nourishment before I use the other good for my hair treatment and hair products that are a part of my regimen. HHJ!

I do all three!

Prepoo before every wash with oil on scalp and length. I usually do a diff oil for each area.

I DC after every wash and sometimes cowash out the DC. I also cowash out my henna and ayurvedic powder glosses. I used to DC on dry dirty hair, then shampoo and use a rinse out conditioner. Now I mostly DC after prepoo and wash.

I only cowash to rinse out glosses and once I get to about 6 weeks post texturizer to moisturize my NG.

Now that I no longer use conditioner or deep conditioner, I always do a pre poo. I warm up some hazelnut oil and I massage my hair and scalp with it and leave it in overnight. My step mother who raised me is Indian and has given me so many Indian hair care secrets with thrice weekly warm oil scalp massages being one of them. I have always thought that Indian, Middle Eastern and Arab women were the most beautiful women in the world and part of it is how well they take care of their hair. From what I understand, the oil massage promotes faster hair growth and silkier shinier hair. So in my opinion, pre poos are more beneficial than deep conditioning treatments which would always weigh my hair down and Make it heavy, crusty and just hard. I'm pretty sure that dry hair can absorb more nutrients than wet hair anyway. Co washing on the other hand gave me build up and caused breakage. I need shampoo in my life. In fact I shampoo every other day or sometimes when I'm feeling lazy every 2 days so like three to four times a week.

Last edited:
All 3 are important, all 3 serve DIFFERENT purposes:

Pre Poo- jump starts the detangling process and helps with hygral fatigue (light conditioner on roots and EVCO on the entire length)- withhout it my hair will have millions of tangles coming out of my shampoo

DC- conditions and nourishes the INSIDE of the strand.

Cowash- removes sweat (midweek) from working out, helps with stretching, smooths the cuticle (light, instant conditioner)- gives hair a midweek pick me up

I HAVE to have all three.......no such thing as one being unneccesary, they do not accomplish the SAME purpose

Back