Pre-Pooing

sheedahp

Could someone tell me what the benefits of pre-pooing is because I dont really know what it is Im suppose to see.:nono:

remilaku

I don't see the point of it. You do it so you will not mess up your hair shampooing. I say just don't use shampoo. If it is going to strip your hair that much. I still wash my hair. I just don't use shampoo.

msa

I think the main reason people pre-poo is so that their hair won't be stripped too much when they shampoo.

I always apply coconut oil before washing because it makes the wash process easier and it's supposed to help stop the strands from getting to much wear and tear from combing.

If you're not seeing any changes or results, skip it. Though, some people like to do it just to use up conditioners, oils, and other products they're trying to get rid of.

cookie1

My hair just feels nice after pooing when I prepoo. It just don't feel stripped.

Do you prepoo w/ or w/o a plastic cap?

ceebee3

I like to pre-poo to get my protein conditioner in. It's just easier for me to add my protein conditioner to dry hair before I wash so I can do a moisturizing deep condition after I shampoo.

Sometimes I pre-poo with olive oil which is really just doing a hot oil treatment. It makes my hair really soft and shiny.

sharifeh

I just jumped on the pre-poo bandwagon.
I pre-pooed first with the ojon restorative treatment and it didn't work for me it made my hair feel like straw. So I kind of swore off pre-pooing. Now I'm hitting myself for it. I pre-pooed with coconut and avocado oil the other day and it just makes my hair so soft and manageable during the wash process if nothing else. made it easier to comb. And it's a lot less messier than an oil rinse.
And if you heat up the oil and do a hot oil treatment that's supposed to be even better for you!!! Though I've never done that but I have the intention to try a hot oil treatment one day!

vkb247

I used to pre-poo with conditioner, sometimes for a whole day or overnight, instead of dcing and it really helped my make my hair stay nice and moisturized. I have cowashed for months and I started using henna in May which really changed my dry hair so I really need to do that anymore.

Since I found out how great coconut oil is I have been trying to keep that in me hair at all times, especially before I am going to wet my hair because it keeps the hair from swelling in the water which helps prevent damage, makes my hair dry faster, and gives me great curl definition during cowashing or water rinsing. Weird thing is my hair used to hate coconut oil.

sheedahp

My hair just feels nice after pooing when I prepoo. It just don't feel stripped.

Do you prepoo w/ or w/o a plastic cap?
Well I would mix EVOO with my dc and a plastic cap for abour 30min or so then proceed with my shampoo. I guess the thing is Ive changed so many habits with my hair since being on this site that I cant tell what's doing what. LOL!!

Last edited:

sheedahp

I just jumped on the pre-poo bandwagon.
I pre-pooed first with the ojon restorative treatment and it didn't work for me it made my hair feel like straw. So I kind of swore off pre-pooing. Now I'm hitting myself for it. I pre-pooed with coconut and avocado oil the other day and it just makes my hair so soft and manageable during the wash process if nothing else. made it easier to comb. And it's a lot less messier than an oil rinse.
And if you heat up the oil and do a hot oil treatment that's supposed to be even better for you!!! Though I've never done that but I have the intention to try a hot oil treatment one day!
Ive noticed everytime I do a strong protein condish or reconstructor my hair comes out not as soft and manageable as other times, I dnt know if thats a good thing or not.

msa

Ive noticed everytime I do a strong protein condish or reconstructor my hair comes out not as soft and manageable as other times, I dnt know if thats a good thing or not.

You should be doing a moisturizing DC after your protein treatments so that your hair comes out soft, not hard. That hardness can lead to breakage when you're trying to handle your hair.

knt1229

My prepoo is a hot oil treatment using coconut and castor oil. I do it because it makes my new growth super soft and helps with the manageability of my hair during the week.

Shadiyah

I was just going to say it is the same thing as the hot oil treatments they use to talk so much about back in the day. You know like protective before your perm or something like that.