Prepping Your Hair For A Weave

lizjoseph

Hi Ladies,

It's been a while since I got my last weave and even then I'm not sure I really did anything to "prepare" my hair for it. As long as it was washed and my hair some moisterizer in it, I felt good to go. The things is I feel like I might need to do more since my hair will technically be braided up for the next 2-3 months and I won't be able to really get at my hair until I take it out. (As you ladies know, it's hard to wash, condition, and moisterize your hair properly when you have a weave in- especially a full head one like I am planning to get.)

So what are you ladies doing the week(s) before a weave? Any protein treatments? Extra tips on moisterizing? What do you do to make sure your hair has the proper protein/ moisture level once the weave is in? I'm curious! :)

PPGbubbles

If I havent done a protien treatment recently, say 6-8 weeks I do an aphogee treatment 2 to 3 days prior to my install and follow with a moisturizing DC... I feel how my hair is retaining moisture the day before and often I will DC again the night before airdry in plaits to stretch my hair then install.

For me having a healty weave experience isnt so much about how I prepare, its more about how I maintain the hair while its weaved up.

Be sure to moisturize your hair at least every other day with a conditoning spritz, daily if you can. I use diluted infusium 23 but what ever leave in works best for your is fine. Then I wash every 2 weeks with diluted cream of nature shampoo... and when I say wash its more of a rinse... I squirt the shampoo through an color applicator bottle and I dont manipulate or scrub my hair to eliminate matting. I always have great growth and rentention using this method and removal for me is a breeze HTH!

lizjoseph

Thanks! So you just squirt the diluted hsampoo and your scalp, let it rest, and then rinse? No scrubbing at all? Not even if your hair itches?

Zsugar

I do the same with the coloring bottle and a light protein prior to the new install. Using african royale braid spray daily- was a great experience. My hair was moisturized and strong when I took out my last weave.

Bella_Atl

Before I got a weave I would wash my hair really well. Then use a little leave in. Nothing heavy because you won't be washing it out in a few months. My hairdresser also braided my hair going back in Leroy braids (not sure what to call them) instead of across. It less "lumpy" and I could get to my scalp easier! It really made my hair grow. The thread wasn't "sawing" my hair. So less damage.