Prepping Your Hair For A Weave

lizjoseph

Hi Ladies,

It's been a while since I got my last weave and even then I'm not sure I really did anything to "prepare" my hair for it. As long as it was washed and my hair some moisterizer in it, I felt good to go. The things is I feel like I might need to do more since my hair will technically be braided up for the next 2-3 months and I won't be able to really get at my hair until I take it out. (As you ladies know, it's hard to wash, condition, and moisterize your hair properly when you have a weave in- especially a full head one like I am planning to get.)

So what are you ladies doing the week(s) before a weave? Any protein treatments? Extra tips on moisterizing? What do you do to make sure your hair has the proper protein/ moisture level once the weave is in? I'm curious! :)

If I havent done a protien treatment recently, say 6-8 weeks I do an aphogee treatment 2 to 3 days prior to my install and follow with a moisturizing DC... I feel how my hair is retaining moisture the day before and often I will DC again the night before airdry in plaits to stretch my hair then install.

For me having a healty weave experience isnt so much about how I prepare, its more about how I maintain the hair while its weaved up.

Be sure to moisturize your hair at least every other day with a conditoning spritz, daily if you can. I use diluted infusium 23 but what ever leave in works best for your is fine. Then I wash every 2 weeks with diluted cream of nature shampoo... and when I say wash its more of a rinse... I squirt the shampoo through an color applicator bottle and I dont manipulate or scrub my hair to eliminate matting. I always have great growth and rentention using this method and removal for me is a breeze HTH!

Thanks! So you just squirt the diluted hsampoo and your scalp, let it rest, and then rinse? No scrubbing at all? Not even if your hair itches?

I do the same with the coloring bottle and a light protein prior to the new install. Using african royale braid spray daily- was a great experience. My hair was moisturized and strong when I took out my last weave.

Before I got a weave I would wash my hair really well. Then use a little leave in. Nothing heavy because you won't be washing it out in a few months. My hairdresser also braided my hair going back in Leroy braids (not sure what to call them) instead of across. It less "lumpy" and I could get to my scalp easier! It really made my hair grow. The thread wasn't "sawing" my hair. So less damage.

Back