pressing comb

pureebony

hey ladies,

has anyone used a pressing comb successfully? without damage etc, as my hair does not get straight enough with the flat iron.

so if you have had good experiences with the pressing comb please let me know thanks!

xx

Kash

you should search for threads by a member named 'Pinkskates'. she's the only member that comes to mind that REALLY knows how to use a pressing comb successfully. her hair is LONG and gorgeous. i think she is on youtube also.

Charlie555

When I was natural I used an electric pressing comb and it was nice because the heat stayed constant unlike the kind you put on the stove.

wish4length

What is a pressing comb?
j/K LOL

I had really good results when I was natural...only problem was mom had to do the pressing...:ohwell:

classychic1908

I've used a pressing comb for years with no heat damage. I will say that I only pressed 3-4 times a year before starting my HHJ. In the last year I think I've pressed twice. I much prefer it to flat ironing with the comb chase method. Oh, I use an electric comb so that I can better control the heat.

Junebug D

I used an electric pressing comb about 2 or 3 times when I was natural. I didn't get damage from it.

pureebony

The reason i ask is becuase i want to blend my hair with a weave and reniece the famous lol said on her fotki that thats what she used to get her natural hair straight to blend as my hair does the poof effect.

she did it every week, and did necessary treatments on the section that was heated, i want to try this too.

any tips on how to actually press yourself and care for pressed hair?

Thanks so much ladies! xx

pureebony

i have one....used it.... and my hair came out like this:

JFK

i have one....used it.... and my hair came out like this:

Oh, wow. Did you wash and DC your hair well before use? What heat setting did you use?

I noticed when I started with a clean slate and DC'ed well, the results were much better. I used to use setting 5 but now I do 7 and it's much better.

Also, blow drying before flat ironing always makes a difference (though it takes more time/work).

pureebony

yep it was on setting high! lol and i washed, deep conditioned the lot blow fried, using sabino mositure block and my hair still turned out like this, so im kind of clueless!

and i do not have thick hair, its like cotton.

wish4length

I have three words for you: Get a Maxiglide.
So very true.

My grandmother was the BOMB at pressing and she always said "Use the back of the comb to get the hair straight"
In other words don't rely on the teeth to straighten the hair while you comb through it. Let the hair hit against the back of the comb to straighten.
HTH

pureebony

So very true.

My grandmother was the BOMB at pressing and she always said "Use the back of the comb to get the hair straight"
In other words don't rely on the teeth to straighten the hair while you comb through it. Let the hair hit against the back of the comb to straighten.
HTH

hmmmm

i remember when my mum did it for me too, my hair would look silky and i was a natural at the time. so i think i will.

anymor tips will be very much appreciated.

xx

Tiye

whats your pressing routine?

Wash, condition, gently detangle, braid hair to stretch it, let dry over night, then comb out again. I use a dab of home made light body butter or a little coconut and castor oil blend. I don't use grease or the modern silicone based stuff either - this is just personal preference though. Use what works for you but just a teeny amount - don't load your hair with it.

To press: Work in small sections. First test a swatch of your hair to find the right heat setting. Run the hot comb through the hair once or twice to straighten it out, then on third pass use the comb to press it flat.

Follow up with curling or flat iron if desired. This is how my mom taught me to do it - she's very old school and has been using the hot tools since childhood. She uses the old fashioned thermal ones - but imo you don't want to use those on your own head. One slip and you could really hurt yourself. Use an electric one with temp control. I don't press often coz I'm wearing wigs to grow my hair out so my hair stays cornrowed most of the time anyway but in a few years when my hair is longer I'll prolly do it regularly.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Last night, I sat straight up in my bed and said, 'I'm going to press my hair with my pressing comb'. Let's seee what happens.

I have electric burners and prefer blue gas flames flicking through my metal hot comb. But I think I know how to make those electric burners work for my hot comb.I have no idea why the thought came up. I've learned to listen when I get inklings and nudges and not judge or question them.

Pressing combs are the only things that get my hair straight the way I like it. Flat irons work okay but the look of the hair is different and not the same as when I press with a comb. Electric pressing combs do nothing for my hair.

My process:
  1. Cleanse the hair thoroughly. Because I use oils and butters in my hair, that means cleansing over a 2 to 3 day period. I like to do conditioner washes Days 1 and Days 2. I let the hair air dry and do not put any product in it. Then, on Day 3 I wash it with shampoo and a very light conditioner.
  2. I section hair in small sections and blow it dry from root to tip. I prefer a comb attachment but it's hard to find those where I am at. I try to do the tension method but my hair likes to wrap around my hands arms and throat like a python. My hair also likes to wrap around my brush and bind it to my hand. I just do the best I can with it. I do not put a leave in or heat protectant in my hair. I never know the point of just enough and too greasy. Since I press infrequently, and don't want to grease up my hair, I blow dry on naked hair. I may use something at times. It depends on how I feel.
  3. After I blow dry a section, I wrap that section in a bantu knot. It helps to stretch the roots and the hair overall. I tried putting something weighted on the ends but I'm too tenderheaded for that.
  4. Once it is straight and dry, I part my hair how I intend to style it and go over one more time with the blowdryer. I then let the hair cool down.
  5. Then, I press it. I like to use 2 to 3 pressing combs at once, in rotation. I section my hair in the back, ensuring my hair is absolutely dry and heat up my first comb. I always use a white paper towel.
    1. I heat up my comb and sometimes it's smoking. I wrap or fold it in my paper towel. I let it cool if the paper burns and touch it too the paper before I put it in my hair.​
    2. I like to use a larger, heavy comb. The heat and the weight of the comb get my hair straight.​
    3. I may use another smaller comb to tap my edges and roots straight.​
    4. I complete my whole head.​
  6. I then trim my ends and use only my triming my scissors. I do this very carefully and take my time because I tend to cut too much. But a fresh press does not look good with old ends.
  7. Then I bump or curl my ends with curling iron and roll my hair with rollers to let the hair cool and mold and set.
  8. Then I undo the curlers, wear the hair out for a day.
  9. Then I tap the ends and edges with some oil.
  10. Then I wrap my hair at night.
  11. When it is time to wash, I make sure I do a deep protein treatment such as Aphogee 2 Step and a deep condition.

GGsKin

It's so funny to me that you bumped this, and added your story @Chicoro. Brought back memories and I feel the same way about trusting my gut/ intuition. I've been umming and ahhing about buying a new pressing comb (indecisive because it's mainly for wig treatment and I have one already. I just can't recall where I put it when I moved out over 10yrs ago lol). Anyway I was out shopping with my cousin the other week and I saw an old school one like my beloved, and I almost picked it up but again I was thinking about the one I know is at home somewhere. At this point, I'm going back to that shop tomorrow.

Chicoro

So, we can expect pictures by next weekend! Yay!

@Chicoro

Aww, how sweet! Thank you for the support and encouragement.

Girl, I don't even know what I am going to do/ I feel inspired one moment then overwhelmed the next. Sigh...At least I have a record of the process to which I can always come back.

Chicoro

It's so funny to me that you bumped this, and added your story @Chicoro. Brought back memories and I feel the same way about trusting my gut/ intuition. I've been umming and ahhing about buying a new pressing comb (indecisive because it's mainly for wig treatment and I have one already. I just can't recall where I put it when I moved out over 10yrs ago lol). Anyway I was out shopping with my cousin the other week and I saw an old school one like my beloved, and I almost picked it up but again I was thinking about the one I know is at home somewhere. At this point, I'm going back to that shop tomorrow.

See, so maybe that's why I bumped and typed this. You done messed up now. I'm going to extrapolate from @frizzy and ask for a photo of the comb! So when you get it, give it a fashion shoot and post one picture for us, please!

It was important for you to get a nudge to go back and get that pressing comb. In 2020 I bought a new blowdryer and a new flat iron. Then, I have two pressing combs. I realize now another reason why I don't use them. They are not heavy enough. The one with the darker brown handle, on the right, feels heavier. The one on the left curls weirdly. I would love a bigger, heavier comb but may need to order from Amazon. I have:

1. 1 blowdryer
  2. 3 flat irons
  3. 1 electric pressing comb
  4. 1 Pressing oven (which shuts down my lights when I try to use it)
  5. 2 metal hot combs
  6. 1 curling iron
Issues: Combs teeth are too fine and they are not heavy enough. Amazon France trying to charge 35 Euros for a 10 dollar comb. NOPE!

Attachments

• Pressing comb.jpg
    Pressing comb.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Theresamonet

We’re all on the same wave length. Last night, I was watching Deeper Than Hair doing a silk press using a marcel iron and pressing comb. I remembered how sleek, and shiny marcels used to get the hair. I considered getting some, but I think not being able to gauge the temperature makes them more of a gamble to use on the hair.

Chicoro

We’re all on the same wave length. Last night, I was watching Deeper Than Hair doing a silk press using a marcel iron and pressing comb. I remembered how sleek, and shiny marcels used to get the hair. I considered getting some, but I think not being able to gauge the temperature makes them more of a gamble to use on the hair.

I can use a pressing comb. I never learned to use a Marcel iron!

GGsKin

I can use a pressing comb. I never learned to use a Marcel iron!

I was lightweight obsessed with marcels in high school. I thought it was so cool seeing stylists use them. I got a whole set as a gift. I could maneuver them, but never got to pro status.

My cousin bought a set and a stove when we were teens/ early 20s. I too was obsessed, and I'd already become a dab hand at pressing my own hair. Well, after a couple of months she gave up attempting to use them and gave the set to me. I'm no pro, but I'm not bad.

GGsKin

See, so maybe that's why I bumped and typed this. You done messed up now. I'm going to extrapolate from @frizzy and ask for a photo of the comb! So when you get it, give it a fashion shoot and post one picture for us, please!

It was important for you to get a nudge to go back and get that pressing comb. In 2020 I bought a new blowdryer and a new flat iron. Then, I have two pressing combs. I realize now another reason why I don't use them. They are not heavy enough. The one with the darker brown handle, on the right, feels heavier. The one on the left curls weirdly. I would love a bigger, heavier comb but may need to order from Amazon. I have:

1. 1 blowdryer
  2. 3 flat irons
  3. 1 electric pressing comb
  4. 1 Pressing oven (which shuts down my lights when I try to use it)
  5. 2 metal hot combs
  6. 1 curling iron
Issues: Combs teeth are too fine and they are not heavy enough. Amazon France trying to charge 35 Euros for a 10 dollar comb. NOPE!
Love this @Chicoro :laugh: . And this is the problem again. The quality and material of these newly made tools is just not the same as it once was. My old comb was solid and the teeth were just right. Now, this one I'm going to pick up tomorrow, didn't look to be the same quality. I might have to order online if I'm not happy with what's on offer OTG.

Lylddlebit

Y'all speaking my language. I love old school pressing combs/marcels and still have a full set of Kizure irons plus the stove and stand. I don't care what new gets made.. I am keeping tried and true for life especially since they are more hard to find now. Posting a picture of my Kizure hot combs.

Attachments

• MyKizureHotCombs.GIF
    MyKizureHotCombs.GIF
    97.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Chicoro

I was lightweight obsessed with marcels in high school. I thought it was so cool seeing stylists use them. I got a whole set as a gift. I could maneuver them, but never got to pro status.

I bet you did get to a pro status. We can be our harshest critics! People from the age ranges of 10 to 18, have incredible capacities to learn and absorb information and demonstrate that learning. That's how I KNOW you were super bad with those Marcels!

Chicoro

My cousin bought a set and a stove when we were teens/ early 20s. I too was obsessed, and I'd already become a dab hand at pressing my own hair. Well, after a couple of months she gave up attempting to use them and gave the set to me. I'm no pro, but I'm not bad.

Ya'll need to STAWP with all this self -deprecation. I KNOW you too can do some HERR with them tools. If you were obsessed that means you gave a lot of focused attention and did lots of trial and error through practice. I would trust you with my hair.

Now, that makes TWO REASONS why it would be great for me to come and stay with you. 1. So I can spend the night and know someone in England. and 2. So you can do my hair. Of course I would pay you. We gave far too much away for free. And 3. The bonus...to see your beautiful face in person and have the privilege to meet such a lovely woman whose kindness seeps through her every post!