pressing comb

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Love this @Chicoro :laugh: . And this is the problem again. The quality and material of these newly made tools is just not the same as it once was. My old comb was solid and the teeth were just right. Now, this one I'm going to pick up tomorrow, didn't look to be the same quality. I might have to order online if I'm not happy with what's on offer OTG.

Okay, I thought I was the only one having issues. Cheap pressing combs are DANGEROUS and can be permanently life changing. If you get a raggedy pressing comb and that sheet come apart while it's burning hot and land on your hair or body...That's a permanent scar.

Quality hot comb products are essential. Period. Keep us posted!

Chicoro

You can sometimes find vintage pressing combs on Etsy. I saw some last year when I was searching for bone combs. Also, thrift stores might be a good place to look.

Unfortunately I live in the hood, which is an ENTIRE country, being that of France. They don't have nothing. I bought some things on Etsy earlier this year for about 80 dollars and the only thing I got was an email. So, no Etsy for me. I don't trust it.

Chicoro

Y'all speaking my language. I love old school pressing combs/marcels and still have a full set of Kizure irons plus the stove and stand. I don't care what new gets made.. I am keeping tried and true for life especially since they are more hard to find now. Posting a picture of my Kizure hot combs.

Girl, you need to stay vigilant. Because if I ever get close enough, you might end up missing some heating tools. Those are NICE!!!!!!! You are lucky and blessed to have them!

Chicoro

I'm in the middle of 'Marie Kondo-ing ' (yes I've created a verb with her name...daring someone to judge me...:lachen::giggle: ) and I got three 1foot tall piles of clothes on my floor, along with some other stuff.

I am so tempted to leave this mess as is and go in search of a hot comb to do my hair. So I can spend all weekend doing my hair, take 1 good photo and then wash it again 30 minutes later.

I am so organized, disciplined and focused. It is unbelievable the amount of things I get done. :rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose:

GGsKin

Ya'll need to STAWP with all this self -deprecation. I KNOW you too can do some HERR with them tools. If you were obsessed that means you gave a lot of focused attention and did lots of trial and error through practice. I would trust you with my hair.

Now, that makes TWO REASONS why it would be great for me to come and stay with you. 1. So I can spend the night and know someone in England. and 2. So you can do my hair. Of course I would pay you. We gave far too much away for free. And 3. The bonus...to see your beautiful face in person and have the privilege to meet such a lovely woman whose kindness seeps through her every post!
The bolded is also you @Chicoro. Your words are so kind and you are funny. I'm blushing lol. Trial and error is the correct term, indeed! But yes, I know I can do some hair. And I would need to pay you first for all the knowledge and pearls you've shared. I would love to meet you in person, and you'd be more than welcome to stay at my lil place. And yes, I would do your hair for free and enjoy every moment taking care of it (even though I feel you on the fact that we do gave far too much away). I'm sure we'd share some stories and laughter.

GGsKin

Y'all speaking my language. I love old school pressing combs/marcels and still have a full set of Kizure irons plus the stove and stand. I don't care what new gets made.. I am keeping tried and true for life especially since they are more hard to find now. Posting a picture of my Kizure hot combs.
@Lylddlebit I admire your collection. Do you have a favourite of the bunch?

Lylddlebit

The Kizure K-52 is my personal favorite. It is the one in between the two hot combs with the black handles in the photo. It has coarse teeth teeth that are spaced apart slightly more than than the fine-teeth hot combs. So it's a good choice for pressing medium to thick along with coarse hair. The comb is intentionally weighted and it's possible to achieve a one pass hard/silk press with that comb.

I do want to mention the other ones though since they are all really good for what they were designed for:

• The one at the to of the photo is the K-32. on that one the comb is curved. The teeth are spaced apart for medium to thick/ coarse hair. With the curve on the comb itself the comb is designed for the motion of pressing, where you insert the comb and bend your wrist to make you hair glide over the spine of the comb with tension to straighten it out. The shape makes it a lot easier to prevent burning yourself for those afraid of getting the hot comb close to the scalp.
  • The second one down in the photo is the K-0 comb. This comb has the fine teeth spacing and is also a smaller comb for short hair and edges.
  • I talked about the K-52 the third one down in the top portion of my post
  • The forth one down is the K-27. It has medium weight and coarse teeth spacing. You can get the exact same one pass results with that one as the K-52 by a applying extra weight to the comb and tension to your hair with your wrist as you use it.
  • The one at the bottom is the double press comb. It has teeth on the front and the spine of the comb. It has fine teeth spacing. Most people I know that still use Kizure will say this one is their favorite. It is like the pressing with the chase method because you have teeth in the front a smooth panel followed by teeth on the spine as the hair passes over and through the comb. One pass will give 3 hits to the hair. Front: smooth: spine. It's teeth are the closest together for fine to medium hair but it will work fine on thick or course hair just fine in smaller sections.
There are more fine and light weight combs by this brand that I don't own but I expect they reflect the same quality that I have come to love in my combs. I am not sure if Kizure is still open since their site has been down for years. I did a quick google search and found one site with Kizure combs still in stock on https://alleyesonmehair.com/ but I don't know if it's this site is legit since the Kizure Iron Works site closed years ago and I can't quickly find independent reviews of the https://alleyesonmehair.com site. I do periodically see legit sets of Kizure combs on ebay for really amazing prices and they have all the stamps and proof of authenticity too. Since so many new tools get released a lot of folks overlook the value of Kizure combs/irons now. So I think if you want to get a Kizure comb you would be able to snag one.

GGsKin

Thank you for your beautiful review of your pressing combs @Lylddlebit. I looked up Kizure and they do seem a little harder to come by. Hopefully, I'll get my hands on one, one day.

I'm tempering the two I bought today, as I type. I bought one that is like the double press- with the teeth spacing in the spine. I wasn't sure about the design of this one, but I liked that the spine is larger. Also, the neck is longer