Pressing Problem ( A Warning to Natural Heads)

stacy

My 11 year old daughter has natural, slightly below shoulder length (when straightened) 4a hair. I took her to the hair salon to get her hair pressed about three times (every other week). The last time (about 2 weeks ago), I noticed grayish strands of hair. This was straight up burned hair
. I mean it was practically ash
. I also noticed an area of broken off hair above the right ear
Needless to say, that day I vowed to never take her back to the salon. To top it off, after washing her hair today, the hair texture is different (less thick) and some strands are still straight
. When I did her hair at home (including pressing from time to time), I never experienced this. I will take care of her hair from now on. I regret ever taking her. I hope tender loving care and no more heat will heal the damage.

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
I have to agree with you on that. I don't know if the excessive heat from the hot comb made your daughter's hair turn gray, or the way the beautician presses correctly, I don't know. You made the right choice to stay away from pressing her hair. Overtime, the hair can cause damage, as you said, around your girl's hairline above the ear. And can change the texture of the hair itself.

I had press my own hair in the past, and I don't do it as often because of the heat. My suggestion is to try putting braids or twists in her hair. She can look real pretty with beautiful waves when taken the braids down. And on top of that, no damage.
Note to all naturals out there: Steer clear from the hot comb. FYI: Rollersets will also make your hair smoother without the damage, if done properly. I hope this will help, but I know others here on the board can relate to what I mentioned here. God Bless.

iris

Stacy see the hennaphilic thread because Armyqt used hennalucent on her daughters hair with great results. It loosens up the curl pattern of the hair, making combing and styling much, much, much easier

Janice

I know how you feel Stacy. Its been a long time since I pressed my hair and the most certanly the last time for me after a bad experience that I got from pressing my hair at this salon for my high school graduation about 4 years ago.

Normally when I get a press it usually last about two days the longest and then reverts back to its curly/natural state. But not this time, after I let this lady do it, she used a blow dryer first , then a flat iron and then the pressing comb, all while watching her soap operas on the tv in front of us. Needless to say I was not educated about hair care at this time and it just noramlly takes two pressings with a hotcomb to get it straight. Well it looked nice for lie a minute. But after a week my ends were still straight and my about 4 inches of my hair up to my roots was natural. Since then I have never pressed my hair after that bad experience.

SHe used way too many heat and what I had to do was eventually cut off like two inches of my hair that was still straight cause my hair would break when combing from the two different textures.

Sorry to hear about that bad experience. You might need to trim your daughters end if they are still straight. Her hair was defenitely fried.Soem people aredefenitely not made to do hair.

Next time if I do decide to straighten I will probably use a flat iron which is suppose to be better cause it doesn't get as hot as a pressing comb.

Faith

Hmmm, this thread is making me think. I was interested in using a stove hot comb to straighten my hair but now...hmmm...Thanks for the heads-up.

stacy

I hope that I do not need to cut any off. I used some ORS Carrot Oil to do some two strand twists this morning. I also oiled her scalp with some KitiKiti grease. Time will tell. This summer will be strictly twists, braids, and bantu knots from momma's own loving hands. I used some Affirm products to wash and condition, so I hope that helps. Her hair seemed to love the Carrot Oil, too. When I pressed her hair, I used an electric comb. Even on the highest setting, her hair never suffered this type of damage. Perhaps when the new school year starts (she'll be in middle school), I'll try the electric comb again, as well as braid outs, twist outs, and roller setting. Thanks for commiserating with me

Melaninme

I hope that everything turns out for the best for you and your little girl. I've been natural since 98' and I have been pressing my hair (I do my own hair) since 99'. I can honestly say that I have not had any damage done to my hair from pressing. I have had damage done to my hair once from using a wrong product on my hair, but never from pressing.

I also use an electric pressing comb when straightening my hair. I believe what your daughter received from the salon was a 'hard press', which usually involves use of very high heat. My hair can not withstand a lot of heat, thus a hard press would mean much damage to my hair if I were to get this done; if any hair was left at all afterwards. My comb has 10 settings and I set mine at 4. Also, like your daughter's hair, my hair after a press also reverts easily upon washing with no change in texture. I believe, that it really all depends upon how often your hair is pressed, the condition of one's hair prior to pressing, and the amount of heat used to straighten one's hair that will determine the outcome of a press. I will go on to say that I have yet to hear of a success story of a press done at a salon. There may be some success stories, but I haven't heard of any.

I agree with you on wearing protective, nurturing styles for you daughter during the summer months. Since I have learned so much about natural hair I have decided not to straighten my hair this summer and let my creative energy go to work for me as I enjoy my natural tresses.

I feel for you and your daughter and I wish you both the best.

Take care.

steph

Sorry, this is kinda of long.I am probably one of the few people who have had sucessful pressing in my life. But when i used to go to the salon, i would only go every six to eight weeks, and my edges were lightly pressed. My hair would either not be pressed at all, or the pressing would be about thirty seconds total to straighten out the waves on the top of my head. My entire head was never pressed, and my hair is still the same texture it has been. But i notice over the years, my hair is slightly thinner on side, and i had gray hairs when i was younger. I am wondering if, the hair have to due with that my hair was burned when i was younger. Because i used to get my hair done more often, and i had a beautican who heavy pressed my hair at one time, and man was my hair thinner then. Now that i have stopped pressing my hair, the gray is gone, and my natural hair is significantly thicker. Even though i have not had really bad experiences with pressing hair, i agree with the rest of ladies. Stay away from the hot comb, it will do wonders for your hair.

leejure

Stacy... I am so sorry to hear that!

I get my hair pressed but only once every two months (maybe even that) and/or special occassions.

It does sound like the stylist used way too much heat for your daughters hair. Do you know if she used some kind of pressing grease/oil? My stylist doesn't like to use oil/grease of any kind when pressing. She said that this can cause the hair to burn. Also, how does the stylist prepare her hair for pressing? My stylist goes thru this big preparing regimen (deep conditioner, protective clear cellpohane, etc...) before she presses my hair.

-lee

stacy

Thanks, ladies. The stylist washed her hair and conditioned under the dryer. She put a heat protectant on (not much, obviously), then blow dried, then pressed. I am so happy with my decision to keep her out of the salon. I am going to buy some Better Braids UnBraid Spray (loved this when I was natural) to moisturize her locks daily. I'd like to buy some braiding videos because I don't trust anyone to braid her (or my own) hair without braiding too tightly.

nita4

My niece has beautiful below bra strap length even hair. Her cousin pressed her hair this weekend using a flat iron, I was impressed. It came out very straight - like a medium press. Her hair stays this way for two weeks to a month. I was impressed that a flat iron could do such a good job. Terminal controlled so you can gauge your heat useage. I owned an electric pressing comb - terminal controlled, but I didn't like the teeth, it seemed pull at the hair more then the stove kind because the teeth were wider.