Product Recommendations for Buns/Ponys

CurlyCoilycourt

I have tried searching high and low for the Bun challenges and threads dealing with this but I can't :nono: so I need some help!! I'm on a personal Bun/Pony regimen due to heat damage until January so good product recommendations are greatly appreciated (natural 3c/4a btw)

I need recommendations (now that I finally have a technique of how to do buns down) on a products that gives a good slick hold but will not make my hair hard. I've tried gels (Eco, IC Fantasia, Aloe Vera etc) and once dried my hair is very hard even with applying oils underneath, which leads me to co wash more than I want to get rid of that hard feeling..I need something that will give great moisture and slicks my hair down without the hardness that gels leave behind.

TIA

janda

KQT20 are you looking for something to put on wet or dry hair. I put conditioner on wet hair, slick it in a bun and then put a scarf on for smoothness. I usually add a little aloe vera juice and coconut oil to the conditioner and this seems to keep it from drying hard. In terms of gels on dry hair, I've tried KCCC and Hairveda gel both of which get a little hard but not too hard.

Vonnieluvs08

A scarf with some leave-in mixed with a medium hold gel (HV's gelly, Ecostyler, one of the curls stylers) on wet hair. I find if you put your hair in a pony while in the shower you can get a nice sleek smooth pony. Then just refresh with a spritz or water.

I don't do many buns or ponys cause my hair tangles because its not stretched enough. I like buns tho.

BoaterGirlKim

I've been wet bunning with Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 Leave-In for the last year with good results, but the cold weather here and the hard water in Mexico have left my hair like straw over the last couple of weeks, even with the HS14. I decided to get away from mineral oil and cones (parabens, too if I can avoid all 3) so I went out and bought Yes To Cucumbers Leave-In and used it this evening after washing. My hair feels moisturized - smooth and NG doesn't feel crunchy. The hair tucked in the bun is really staying moist - even that hair started to dry out with HS14 once the cold weather hit. I like the YTCucumbers thickness. I don't use any gel whatsoever to avoid possible breakage, and it's thick enough with enough slip to make my hair lie down. It has some great natural ingredients and a few different oils so that my hair has a nice bit of natural shine to it.

neanie

i use mango butter
it slicks my hair down
does not leave it hard
and best of all moisturises
i love it :infatuated:

kim1006

I wet bun using Bambu Silicon Mix. After I wash or co-wash and DC condition, I apply the leave-in conditioner, bun and wrap with a satin scarf. When I remove the scraf, my hair is shining and smooth without feeling hard.

ellegantelle

Some shea butter on the edges and a scarf tied down at night gives me a nice slick back look for the morning. Also, there's a product called "slick stick" by luster's which works rather well. For immediate slick, my hair has to be wet with a leave-in and IC Gel.