PRODUCT REVIEWS: Non-SLS/ALS Shampoos, misc.

T

Tee

I've been test-driving a few sls/als-free shampoos the last couple of months. Here are my thoughts on each of them.

Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo
This is a mild protein shampoo. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. It doesn't moisturize, and it doesn't dry out your hair. It leaves hair in pretty much the same condition as it was before you washed it, maybe a tad softer. So, if you had soft, moisturized hair before shampooing, you would have soft, moisturized hair after shampooing. If you're looking for moisture, it won't add a significant amount. It does clean very well, and leaves the scalp refreshed. I didn't return it, so I guess I like it enough to keep it around. I'll probably use it after a heavy workout.
*Cleansing Agent(s): Amino acid and coconut derived cleansers
Grade: B-

Aveda Curessence Shampoo
I love this shampoo. It's a protein shampoo, but I find it very moisturizing. And, my hair is shinier when I use this shampoo! I wish they would make this without protein, so that I could use it for every shampoo.
Grade: A

Mastey Traite Shampoo
Ugh! I didn't like this very much! It cleans well, but my hair felt rough after using this. I need something with more slip in it. I think I got an older version, because I've heard Mastey has now added silicone to the shampoo. My hair didn't feel very moisturized or soft after using this.
Grade: D

Pureology Hydrate Shampoo
I didn't want to like this shampoo (too expensive!) but the more I use it, the more I like it. It moisturizes and softens my hair very well (more than Elucence shampoo), including my new growth. The Pureology line of products is targetted toward people with color-treated hair. It supposedly prevents fading of color and makes colored hair look fresher, longer. I don't have colored hair, so I wouldn't know how true those claims are, but I do like how the shampoo makes my hair feel. I requested a sample of L'Anza Moisturizing shampoo, which is also sulfate free, to see how it compares to the Pureology Hydrate. If the L'Anza doesn't perform as well, I'll be sticking with the Pureology shampoo. Although, it is expensive, I find it really concentrated so I use about 1/2 as much as I do other shampoos.
*Cleansing Agent: corn, sugar, and coconut cleansers
Grade: A

Pureology Hydrate Conditioner
This is an okay conditioner, in terms of the moisture it gives. Nothing special, imo. What does make it special is its stimulating effect on the scalp. It is VERY invigorating, more so than Nioxin Scalp Therapy. It makes a great scalp treatment, and will probably buy it again for that reason.
Grade: A (scalp treatment) / B- (moisture)

Allandra

Hi Tee, /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Thanks for the product reviews. I love just about anything made by Kiehl's. I'll have to get a sample of their Amino Acid Shampoo just to try it out (since I'm very happy with my current supply of shampoos). /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I tried the Mastey Traite Shampoo. I ended up tossing it before it was even empty. My hair wasn't crazy about it. I did try to use it since I had paid for it, but I just couldn't do it. /images/graemlins/nono.gif On top of that, the darn smell started getting on my nerves.

The Pureology lines sounds interesting. Where did you purchase it?

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Tee said:
Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo
This is a mild protein shampoo. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. It doesn't moisturize, and it doesn't dry out your hair. It leaves hair in pretty much the same condition as it was before you washed it, maybe a tad softer. So, if you had soft, moisturized hair before shampooing, you would have soft, moisturized hair after shampooing. If you're looking for moisture, it won't add a significant amount. It does clean very well, and leaves the scalp refreshed. I didn't return it, so I guess I like it enough to keep it around. I'll probably use it after a heavy workout.
*Cleansing Agent(s): Amino acid and coconut derived cleansers
Grade: B-

[/ QUOTE ]
I was in Nordstrom this morning. I stopped by the Kiehl's counter to get a sample of this (will use it this weekend). I also got a few skin care samples.

T

Tee

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Allandra said:
I was in Nordstrom this morning. I stopped by the Kiehl's counter to get a sample of this (will use it this weekend). I also got a few skin care samples.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm liking this shampoo more than I did when I first did this review. It seems so pure and gentle to me, like baby shampoo or something. Let me know how you like it when you try it.

Tee