Product Suggestions for Curlformers and Flexirods Sets

rawsilk

I am currently using combination of Cantu Butter LeaveIn and Macadamia Nut Oil to "set" hair before using regular rollers, Curlformers, Flexi-rods, etc. No real complaints it's just that these are the products that I HAD to use when I was natural in order to hold for more than a day and they can get a little heavy. Now that I'm hap-happily texlaxed:grin:, I'm looking for other product suggestions. SeeLexus suggested Design Essentials Natural Twist setting lotion and that's what I will probably try next. (Her pics of her flexirod set are amazing.) Anyway, since everyone's hair is different, interested in hearing from all ladies -- natural, texlaxed, relaxed, all hair types. If you have time and you are interested in sharing your complete regime, please do.

Style Goal: Bouncy, shinny, "juicy" looking curls that don't frizz. (It would be nice if they were soft and touchable:love2: but, I'll settle for shinny curls that simply "look" like they are touchable.)

Thanks in advance.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I'm natural now, and i haven't tried Curlformers on my natural hair. When I was relaxed, I used either Keracare foam setting lotion or Motions and my curls would stay for about a week. I've heard good things about Jane Carter's, but I've never tried it.

Also, I pincurled or used soft fabric rollers at night.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I'm texlaxed as well. I use eco styler gel, the olive color one. I use this product to help hold & to have less frizz when installing my curl formers. I will post pics of the curls.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Guinan

Re-Branding
Here's the pics

Attachments

• IMG_20130314_152546.jpg
    IMG_20130314_152546.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20130311_072555.jpg
    IMG_20130311_072555.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20130301_073049.jpg
    IMG_20130301_073049.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20130301_041900.jpg
    IMG_20130301_041900.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 72

rawsilk

Thanks for all replies.
pelohello: Can I get the EcoStyler at regular BSS? I don't think I've ever seen it before. I've heard people refer to it but I always assumed they were talking about the Olive Oil gel by IC. Based on your pics - especially siggy (Gorj!), I'm guessing that it's good for your hair and no crunch, etc. Any other tidbits re your regime? Also, what size Curlformer did you use and how many? I used the orange and pink medium size and I'm starting to think that I should have gone bigger. One last question, do you leave the curls alone or separate with comb/fingers? -- trying to figure out if that is w&g in your siggy or result of the Curlformers. (Sorry for the 20 questions -- I need inspiration; my hair is back in a bun already.:perplexed)

Guinan

Re-Branding
Thanks for all replies.
pelohello: Can I get the EcoStyler at regular BSS? I don't think I've ever seen it before. I've heard people refer to it but I always assumed they were talking about the Olive Oil gel by IC. Based on your pics - especially siggy (Gorj!), I'm guessing that it's good for your hair and no crunch, etc. Any other tidbits re your regime? Also, what size Curlformer did you use and how many? I used the orange and pink medium size and I'm starting to think that I should have gone bigger. One last question, do you leave the curls alone or separate with comb/fingers? -- trying to figure out if that is w&g in your siggy or result of the Curlformers. (Sorry for the 20 questions -- I need inspiration; my hair is back in a bun already.:perplexed)

The eco styler gel can be purchased @ a bss. I got mines from sallys. My pic in the siggie is from a wng/braidout. For me the gel creates alittle hold & yet still soft. Sometimes I do get white residue, if I put too much but oil usually takes it away.

I use the extra long & wide size and the quantity I use is about 60 curlformers, but I need more. If you have thick hair I would suggest purchasing 2 kits.

If I'm pinning the curls, I do not seperate the curls, but if I am wearing them out, then I seperate them. If you seperate them, seperate them using ur fingers; not a comb.

LovelyLouboutin

I'm natural. I just started using my curl formers and I moisturizer with giovani direct, then put on a serum (One n Only Argan oil) then spray with lottabody setting lotion mixture. I've had great results that last me 3 days. The first day I leave the curls as is. Pineapple when I sleep. In the am I spray them with a shine/oil spray and I separate the curls.

grownwomanaz

Love and Harmony
My flexirods are collecting dust. I keep watching youtube videos on how to use them because mine always slide off smh.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Are you all using heat or air drying?

I do both. The 1st time I did my curlformers I air dried overnight. Now I use a hair dryer for about 3hrs and then air dry the rest of the time.

Its not necessary to use a hair dryer. But it does help speed up the process.

rawsilk

I tried the Design Essentials but used Orjon oil and another leave in before -- ehh, not crazy about the result but still up for trying. (I am committed to falling in love with my own hair again and leaving the weaves alone.) At the suggestion of an Ethiopian lady I met in Sally's while getting the DE, I tried Tresume No Silicone (Green writing) and best slip I've ever had -- hair felt lovely. So by deduction, I know it's my styling products (or my combo/echnique) that are giving me trouble. My problem is "frizzzzz" I HATE IT -- it is really wrecking my shine. Parts of hair are shinny, other parts are frizzy. I'm sure this has something to do with my lighthanded Tex-lax -- probably didn't correct enough. But I'm afraid to go back in there with the creamy crack because I am convinced that I will wreck my curls (some are really nice, springy, shinny -- others are like a BAF). Other update - pinappled with TWO scrunchies instead of one and think that it helped -- it was a great suggestion from someone on Youtube if your hair is APL or less. Thanks again for all replies. Next wash is tomorrow, will try the EcoStyler Green Olive Oil-- is there an oil/cream/leave-in that you use before you apply the gel??

rawsilk

pelohello. Did you say that you sit under dryer for THREE HOURS!!??? Okay, maybe that's my issue. After 1.5, my scalp felt like it was going to peel off and I said "that's gotta be enough" Are you using a low setting because three hours is a lot of heat - indirect or not.

Honey Bee

rawsilk, I'm texlaxed too. I do my flexi sets dry, meaning I let it air-dry using the scarf method and then re-wet. I use a spray bottle, 90% water, 5% moisturizing, creamy conditioner (I use Wen), 5% some kind of liquid-y protein (I use Aphoghee Green Tea & Keratin). Air-dry. (See avvy for a pic) A little serum on my hands as I take out the rollers. Pine-apple overnight. When it starts to look dry, add a little more serum. It can last up to a week (raggedy up-do's with tendrils towards the end of the week though, lol). Hth!

rawsilk

Honey Bee -- thank you for that suggestion! I hadn't thought of air-drying first. One time I rollerset on regular rollers and then re"wet" in order to use flexies and pink clamp thingys with Cantu Butter -- great result but took alllllllll day. Is there a thread on here for the scarf method? (Maybe I'm over-thinking this LOL -- is the scarf method just pulling your hair back and putting a scarf on it? LOL)

Honey Bee

@Honey Bee -- thank you for that suggestion! I hadn't thought of air-drying first. One time I rollerset on regular rollers and then re"wet" in order to use flexies and pink clamp thingys with Cantu Butter -- great result but took alllllllll day. Is there a thread on here for the scarf method? (Maybe I'm over-thinking this LOL -- is the scarf method just pulling your hair back and putting a scarf on it? LOL)
:yep: But my strands are fine, so I just let it hang loose. I find that when I wet-set, the roots are always crinkled up. :ohwell:

eta: when I re-wet it, I leave the roots dry. So I only end up spraying, say, the bottom 4/5ths of my length. This method keeps things organized. :spinning: :lol:

Last edited:

rawsilk

Can't wait to try this -- I believe in air-drying from my full relaxing days. But since I went natural and because my frizz issues as a current Texlaxer are my ends ????? I hadn't even given it a second thought. If this works, I am going to be thrilled. I found a couple of threads where they say wrap the ends of scarf around your ends and then create a "bun" out of the hair and scarf -- I think I'm going to try it because, I tell you, I am about 2 seconds away from cutting off this combo of frizzy-*** ends and springy curls. Thanks again!! If I like, I'm going to finally post some pics.

Guinan

Re-Branding
@pelohello. Did you say that you sit under dryer for THREE HOURS!!??? Okay, maybe that's my issue. After 1.5, my scalp felt like it was going to peel off and I said "that's gotta be enough" Are you using a low setting because three hours is a lot of heat - indirect or not.

I try to do 3hrs total, but not consecutive(sp). I dont sit all at once. I span it out. Like I sit for an hour then air dry for an hour. I try to break it up.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I try to do 3hrs total, but not consecutive(sp). I dont sit all at once. I span it out. Like I sit for an hour then air dry for an hour. I try to break it up.

This makes sense and is doable. I was like, she has a lot if patience, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF