Product Suggestions for Straightening New Growth

jadestar

I am almost 12 weeks pregnant and trying not to relax. I am very much due for a relaxer, and so my hair is not "acting right" when I wear it out. I plan to wash and flat iron my hair this weekend. Can you suggest any products that I can use either before blow drying or before flat ironing that will help hold the straightness (for my new growth) through humidity? I know that a light spritz or holding spray would work, but I haven't used spritz in a decade and really don't want to use those drying products.

Thanks

iprocrz108

JadeStar, I am also trying to find the perfect product for straightening my roots while I transition. So far I have about 3.5 inches of new growth and I have been using Salerm 21 as my leave-in. Salerm 21 is a great detangler/moisturizer when I rollerset my hair but I still have to straighten my roots afterwards. Therefore, today I purchased Joico's K-Pak Smoothing Balm from JC Penney. It costs $16.95 but since I had a $10 off coupon, I made out :grin:

According to the botte: "This heat activated and humidity-resistant straightening balm features K-Pak's unique Hair Protection System to protect against thermal and environmental damage. DIRECTIONS: Apply to damp hair. Blow dry with brush or comb." But I plan to rollerset and sit under the dryer after I use the product :yep:

My "Day of Beauty" is this Saturday so I will do my routine, use the Smoothing Balm and post the results.

jadestar

Thanks for your help iprocrz108!!!! Maybe you would still need to straighten your roots with the roller set, but it would last longer? I hate roller setting my hair when I need a relaxer because it never turns out right--but then again I've never Straightened my roots afterward. Do you find that after you straighten your roots the set looks like it would look if you weren't stretching?

I am sure there are some others on here with product suggestions!!??

onejamifan

If you are ok with using cones in your hair, John Freida has a product called Wind Down and it really helps with straightening your hair. I don't remember exactly what ingredients it has, but hopefully someone else can chime in...

By the way congratualtions Jadestar, on being preggers!:grin:

iprocrz108

JadeStar, I usually rollerset my hair when I wear it straight because I don't like the results I get when I use a flat iron. Admittedly, I'm not good with the flat iron but I love the body and shine I get from rollersetting instead - it's just easier for me.

What I have been doing in the past to get the root straight is using the back of my curling iron to get the waves out and it works really well. Same principle as the flat iron but no clamping but still a lot of work with every inch that grows. Therefore, I've been looking for a product that would make the whole process easier and less time consuming.

If the Joico Smoothing Balm doesn't work, I'm going to try the John Frieda Wind Down (Thanks, onejamifan!) :grin: