Products w/ Alcohol...To use or not to use???

CandacyEliz

Before I found this site, I guess I was a part of Cathy Howse's camp. She's very adamant about not using products w/ alcohol (cetearyl or any alcohol based), but most of the great products out there Nexxus, EQP Mango Butter, etc. all have them. Common sense tells you that alcohol is drying, but when I go to the beauty supply store or anywhere, 95% of the products have alcohol in them. I'm forced to use them, plus I really like some of them. What's the real downside of the cetearyl alcohol??? :perplexed

Hair Type: 4A Relaxed
Length: Unknown, past chin??
Goal: Shoulders and beyond by DEC. 05
Challenge: Relaxer challenge 8 weeks to start
(use to relax every 3-4 weeks :ohwell: )

MonaLisa

CandacyEliz said:
Before I found this site, I guess I was a part of Cathy Howse's camp. She's very adamant about not using products w/ alcohol (cetearyl or any alcohol based), but most of the great products out there Nexxus, EQP Mango Butter, etc. all have them. Common sense tells you that alcohol is drying, but when I go to the beauty supply store or anywhere, 95% of the products have alcohol in them. I'm forced to use them, plus I really like some of them. What's the real downside of the cetearyl alcohol??? :perplexed

Hair Type: 4A Relaxed
Length: Unknown, past chin??
Goal: Shoulders and beyond by DEC. 05
Challenge: Relaxer challenge 8 weeks to start
(use to relax every 3-4 weeks :ohwell: )

I started out with Cathy Howse before I found this site...and I don't remember that...even when I met her - her mentioning not using Cetyl Alcohol. Cetyl Alcohol is a moisturizing alcohol.

I think Ms. Howse was referring to the use of drying alcohols, like SD-40 alcohol for example.

I know there's a thread somewhere...with the list of good alcohols and bad alcohols.

Jewell

In particular, I don't use any products with SD-40 alcohol in it. That really dries out my hair and makes it break.

CandacyEliz

Thanks ChampagneWishes for the link, that helped w/ the confusion.

Thanks Jewell (That pretty much eliminates my gels & hair sprays; which I knew were no good anyways)

Jewell

CandacyEliz said:

Thanks Jewell (That pretty much eliminates my gels & hair sprays; which I knew were no good anyways)

You're welcomed! I use gel-though rarely, but its a conditioning gel that has the consistency of grease. Its Smooth N Shine Conditioning Gel. I NEVER use hair spray.

kim

I know I was using Nexxus products and my hair started to drying out to the point it was breaking. My hair dresses said she thought it was from using Nexxus. I changed products and noticed a huge difference right away.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
CandacyEliz said:

You are welcome :).