Prophets & Money

tffy2004

I respect TRUE men and women of God but there is something I need to get off my chest about prophets and money. This thread is not to slander this person so I will not mention his name, also there are many others who do the same thing. I am not purposly singling out this one person but the information I found on his site really does get under my skin so I am using the information to show you what exactly it is that has me upset.

For the past week or so my husband and I have been staying up late watching the religious infomercials(?) that come on in the we hours of the morning. We began to talk and the name of one particular Prophet came up and we decided to call and leave our info to get the package that they send out to you. We recieved the package a couple days ago and I went to his site tonight to email him but I searched the site first and pretty much got my answer.

I strongly believe that the gift of Prophecy is the most precious gift that God can give to his children and don't think that it is appropriate for us to get money in exchange for using this particular gift. The question I had for this particular man was how is it that he is comfortable charging people $120-$3,000 for him to use his gift from God to speak into their lives. And its not just the fact that he is charging $120-$3,000, it is also the fact that he is calling it an offering. If I were to give an offering in church the preacher doesn't say ok everyone give X amount today, the offering is freely given based on what you can give. But they tell you how much to give in order to get the rest of your prophetic word.

Question: "Why should i give an offering" in order to recieve my prophetic word?

Answer: "These days, many people have forgotten just who and what the prophet is, so we think nothing of huddling the prophet off into a corner alone with the express intention to milk his gift. Many people will ask an abundance of questions about their situation, yet won’t compensate that prophet or prophetess with a single dime. When you take wisdom from a prophet and refuse to place an offering in their life, you have raped their gift, and the prophet is left wanting."

The portion in bold shocked me, I my mouth dropped open when I first read it. To some I may seem to be over reacting but this really bothers me. I have long wanted the gift of prophecy and it disgusts me that some who have it, use it go get money. And yes if I had the gift I would not charge to use it.

AnnDriena_

Raped his gift my foot. This man is money hungry pure and simple. You don't have to pay for gifts. So if he calls this his gift then he should be giving of it freely. Keep movin' this guy a sham.

tffy2004

Trust me I am not sending him my money I am just apaulled that he and others would try something like this

ritzbitz78

I am making a list of the prophets in the Bible that charged for their prophecies:

None!! Not even Jesus himself

In fact there is a story of a man who saw the power of Paul and the disciples and asked if he could "buy" their secret from them so he could use it in his "ministry" Paul cursed him. (it might have been Peter who the man came to) Please help me find that story.

Anyways, the Spirit of God are not in people who prostitute their "gift" like that. Another spirit rules their lives, and it is best to stay as far away from them as possible.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
It bothers me too. I'm not mentioning any names. But I can believe that you and I are on the same page with this.

I truly have a problem with 'commercializing' God's gifts.

Let me add this. The less dependent we become upon man for a word from the Lord, the more coherent we become to the voice of God Himself.

I'm not against the Phophetic word; it is scriptual. But the commercialization of it....ticks me off.

Nuff said....

Last edited:

pebbles

tffy2004 said:
The question I had for this particular man was how is it that he is comfortable charging people $120-$3,000 for him to use his gift from God to speak into their lives. And its not just the fact that he is charging $120-$3,000, it is also the fact that he is calling it an offering. If I were to give an offering in church the preacher doesn't say ok everyone give X amount today, the offering is freely given based on what you can give. But they tell you how much to give in order to get the rest of your prophetic word.

Question: "Why should i give an offering" in order to recieve my prophetic word?​

Answer: "These days, many people have forgotten just who and what the prophet is, so we think nothing of huddling the prophet off into a corner alone with the express intention to milk his gift. Many people will ask an abundance of questions about their situation, yet won’t compensate that prophet or prophetess with a single dime. When you take wisdom from a prophet and refuse to place an offering in their life, you have raped their gift, and the prophet is left wanting."​

:eek: :eek: :eek: Well, suffice it to say that God didn't intend it to be that way. :(

Pam Pam

Girl, I was just thinking about the same thing a few minutes ago. Talk about God leaving a witness.

I was watching this particular prophet on tv and he says to call and it won't cost you anything to get a prophecy. I was thinking to myself, when did Jesus ever say, okay I'll give you a word from God, now pay me for it.

I've never seen one case where he said that. Not one.

And what's funny, my DH called him when we lived in Atlanta and according to DH, he was right on the $$$. But he started sending him letters telling him to send $$$ so that the rest of his revelation can be given to him. Hold up, wait a minute...

First of all, prophecy should be a confirmation for what you already know. So if I already know it, why am I paying you to tell me?

Second, why are you prostituting your gift? If you are a true man of God, and God wants me to bless your ministry, he'll impress it upon my heart to give whatever He desires me to give.

Thirdly, if you're going to solicit me for $$$, make sure my name is correct on the letter and stop acting like I'm the only one you've sent this too. My name is correct on the envelope and not on the letter inside...be for real.

God never requested money for His word. I am fully aware that it takes $$$ to run the house of God, that's why we are to tithe to our local church.

I figure I can just fast and pray and it will be revealed to me exactly what God wants me to know...

Too weird...I was just thinking about this. Hence, the long post...:lol:

kbragg

Ah yes, "The Master Prophet", "Bishop" Jordan. ! Yeah, I said it!:lachen: That guy is a false prophet and a scam artist to the 3rd degree. He epitimizes the definition of "Filthy Lucre" (shameful profit)! I used to work for LiveOpps (the people who take the calls from infomercials) and it was so sad. People were calling in desperate for prayer, desperate for a Word from the Lord. I couldn't do it. I couldn't lead people to a false prophet, I'm accountable to God. Between that and the Extenze calls:perplexed I was too through! I quit that job lol.

Last edited:

ChasingBliss

Ok, but what about Prophets who say they give just as much as they get, or prophets who say that they need the monies to travel to other places and get the word out? How do you know? How can you tell?

pebbles

The problem is that you cannot put a price on a prophecy. Can you imagine someone withholding a prophecy from you unless you pay them several thousand dollars? They can ask for a donation that is up to the individual. With what they're doing, if you only have $60 you can donate, and they say you have to give them $250 to get the prophecy, what happens next? They withhold the prophecy? Goodness! :lol: God gets no glory out of that mess.

alexstin

Right in line with this. I am really turned off when people say for example, "It's 2006. If I just have 100 people to give $20.06, God will pour out His blessing." or " If you send in your $62.07 because of Psalm 62:7 you will be blessed" :mad:

PaperClip

Angel's advocate here! Just putting this line of thought out here, with the disclaimer that I am not advocating that one can "pay for" a prophecy or "buy" a prophecy or that one should "charge" to give a prophecy. That is a prostitution of the gift.

With that said, there are SEVERAL (Old Testament) instances of when one encountered a prophet, a gift/service was given/exchanged with the prophet:

Elijah and the woman with the oil (1 Kings 17)
Elijah and the woman who built him a guest room (2 Kings 4)

I believe there's a scripture that speaks to this.... trying to locate it.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

What's the difference between this 'prophet' and psychics? This is so sad and disgusting.
I think many in the Christian community are loosing sight of what's important. In this day and time, it's all about MONEY MONEY MONEY, but all in the name of God. Whatever.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

alexstin said:
Right in line with this. I am really turned off when people say for example, "It's 2006. If I just have 100 people to give $20.06, God will pour out His blessing." or " If you send in your $62.07 because of Psalm 62:7 you will be blessed" :mad:

You know what? I was once one of those people who was tempted because I was SOOOO desperate for a miracle in my life, but here's the thing. If you feel hesitant and uncomfortable about it, it ain't God telling you to give. God wants us to give freely without compulsion. Some of these people asking for those gifts have already calculated in their minds how much money they will need for the 'building fund' or how much it will take to pay off their building.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

RelaxerRehab said:
Angel's advocate here! Just putting this line of thought out here, with the disclaimer that I am not advocating that one can "pay for" a prophecy or "buy" a prophecy or that one should "charge" to give a prophecy. That is a prostitution of the gift.

With that said, there are SEVERAL (Old Testament) instances of when one encountered a prophet, a gift/service was given/exchanged with the prophet:

Elijah and the woman with the oil (1 Kings 17)
Elijah and the woman who built him a guest room (2 Kings 4)

I believe there's a scripture that speaks to this.... trying to locate it.

We really have to look at the context of these scriptures. Ahh the day I don't have my study Bible with me. :wallbash:

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
It sounds like you guys are talking about that weird guy with the dreads. I forgot his name, but his whole program is one big infomercial that plays the same clips over and over again. Garbage.

I personally have a problem with people calling themselves prophets but that's another story.

PaperClip

Bublnbrnsuga said:
We really have to look at the context of these scriptures. Ahh the day I don't have my study Bible with me. :wallbash:

1 Kings 17

8And the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, (him being Elijah)

9Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee.

10So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, the widow woman was there gathering of sticks: and he called to her, and said, Fetch me, I pray thee, a little water in a vessel, that I may drink.

11And as she was going to fetch it, he called to her, and said, Bring me, I pray thee, a morsel of bread in thine hand.

12And she said, As the LORD thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die.

13And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake FIRST, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son. (capitalization my emphasis)

14For thus saith the LORD God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the LORD sendeth rain upon the earth.

15And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and he, and her house, did eat many days.
16And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Elijah.

PaperClip

Browndilocks said:
It sounds like you guys are talking about that weird guy with the dreads. I forgot his name, but his whole program is one big infomercial that plays the same clips over and over again. Garbage.

I personally have a problem with people calling themselves prophets but that's another story.

Is your concern with the title of prophet related to who they were/are in the bible, what they do, or what they represent? There are modern-day prophets on the planet, no question about that....

Honey6928215

Browndilocks said:

I was thinking of the same guy, too. I think he's the spiritual advisor of Rev. Run or one of the RUN DMC members but I saw that the man got a Bentley out of it. :eek: I saw a picture of it a while back. I was too through. He could feed all of Harlem with the money he pruchased for that Bentley!

Browndilocks

RelaxerRehab said:
Is your concern with the title of prophet related to who they were/are in the bible, what they do, or what they represent? There are modern-day prophets on the planet, no question about that....

It just doesn't sit well with me. I don't see myself ever calling anyone a prophet, moreover addressing them as such. Never... especially since you cannot be ordained as a prophet.

Basically - the ones I've seen calling themselves prophets didn't convice me that they were, and they often strike me as weirdos. They're forever trying to place themselves further into a Christ hierarchy of some sort, which doesn't do anything but insinuate that they are "higher up" than the average preacher. It's just unnecessary, self indulging, and creates a sense of separation between them and everyone else who needs God just the same as they do.

The Word of God speaks for itself, so if someone is really a prohpet, they shouldn't feel the need to add it as a prefix to their name.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am saddened because these so called prophets claim to worship God, but they disown him by their works. The widow in Elijah's day knew Elijah was God's prophet. What do we know about these other so-called prophets on TV? Did not Orel Roberts get 100 million$ from his flock because in his word " If I don't get this money, God will call me home." His flock gave him that money and more. I just feel bad for people who were robbed and continue to be robbed by false prophets.:mad:

PaperClip

Browndilocks said:
It just doesn't sit well with me. I don't see myself ever calling anyone a prophet, moreover addressing them as such. Never... especially since you cannot be ordained as a prophet.

Basically - the ones I've seen calling themselves prophets didn't convice me that they were, and they often strike me as weirdos. They're forever trying to place themselves further into a Christ hierarchy of some sort, which doesn't do anything but insinuate that they are "higher up" than the average preacher. It's just unnecessary, self indulging, and creates a sense of separation between them and everyone else who needs God just the same as they do.

The Word of God speaks for itself, so if someone is really a prohpet, they shouldn't feel the need to add it as a prefix to their name.

Ok... I hear what you're saying.... Let's think about it like this:

it's funny that you would say that prophets often strike you as "weirdos". Because if you study them in the Bible, from Elisha to Elijah to Nahum to Deborah to John the Baptist, none of these people were considered NORMAL! :) Elijah (or Elisha) was teased for his bald head (and those children paid for that teasing! LOL!) Prophets were supposed to be unconventional! They are the mouthpieces of the Lord, and cannot be guided by human or cultural or societal influences. Prophets are cutting edge, just like Jesus was in His earthly ministry. To me, it's scary and exciting all at the same time!

Please understand that I'm speaking of those functioning in the holy and sincere calling of the office of the prophet. There are also false prophets and they are easy to spot: those whose prophetic words fall to the ground as dead man's bones! In other words, their words have NO FRUIT!

You mentioned ordination. How about this: ordination does not cause the prophetic ministry to exist. The ordination serves to label the person in their function. So a person functioning in their calling, be it apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor, or teacher, it's alright to call them in what they do. To me, it's a matter of function, not title.

Last edited:

PaperClip

DDtexlaxd said:
I am saddened because these so called prophets claim to worship God, but they disown him by their works. The widow in Elijah's day knew Elijah was God's prophet. What do we know about these other so-called prophets on TV? Did not Orel Roberts get 100 million$ from his flock because in his word " If I don't get this money, God will call me home." His flock gave him that money and more. I just feel bad for people who were robbed and continue to be robbed by false prophets.:mad:

I understand what you're saying. I can only respond by saying that:

1. Every prophet on the planet isn't false. There are still true prophets of God on the earth today.

2. You can know a prophet by the FRUIT of their WORD. Do their words come to pass? Yay or nay? That's the simplicity of the answer. Another aspect of this conversation is when a person might get a personal propetic word. This is where issues of conditionality come in....

Browndilocks

RelaxerRehab said:
Ok... I hear what you're saying.... Let's think about it like this:

it's funny that you would say that prophets often strike you as "weirdos". Because if you study them in the Bible, from Elisha to Elijah to Nahum to Deborah to John the Baptist, none of these people were considered NORMAL! :) Elijah (or Elisha) was teased for his bald head (and those children paid for that teasing! LOL!) Prophets were supposed to be unconventional! They are the mouthpieces of the Lord, and cannot be guided or influenced by human or cultural or societal. Prophets are cutting edge, just like Jesus was in His earthly ministry. To me, it's scary and exciting all at the same time!

Please understand that I'm speaking of those functioning in the holy and sincere calling of the office of the prophet. There are also false prophets and they are easy to spot: those whose prophetic words fall to the ground as dead man's bones! In other words, their words have NO FRUIT!

You mentioned ordination. How about this: ordination does not cause the prophetic ministry to exist. The ordination serves to label the person in their function. So a person functioning in their calling, be it apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor, or teacher, it's alright to call them in what they do. To me, it's a matter of function, not title.

You make great points... but I'm still never going to call anyone "prophet such and such" :lol:. People can have a word of prophesy and still not be profits.

The so called prophets I'm speaking of however are the fake ones. Such as, that weird guy with the dreads who calls himself a master profit :confused:, and those people who do silly things like blow on a person to fill them with the Holy Ghost.

I grew up in the Pentecostal church and I honestly have not heard anyone calling themselves prophets until recently. My first exposure to it was seeing pranksters as the above mentioned. Maybe that's why, but calling someone "Prophet", for me just ain't happenin'.

MrsQueeny

I believe that as you are called toward prophecy GOD will bless you. You won't have to ask for money or things in order to give people a word. Jesus and His disciples were well taken cared of because His works were true and people blessed them because of it. I received the gift of prophecy a few years ago and since then have spoken to many people including strangers but I have never withheld what GOD had for them if they didn't give me something. Often times I will speak to someone and then they will see me again later and when I go to shake their hand or give them a hug they will give me a monetary blessing or some other gift. That is because it is what the spirit of the Lord led them to do. Q

kbragg

Browndilocks said:

YES that's him, "The Master Prophet", "Bishop Jordan". !:mad: I hated taking calls for that guy!:perplexed Here's his site: http://www.bishopjordan.com/home.htm He seems to be very into the metaphysical, "Law Of Attraction" etc., certainly not preaching Christ crucified, repentance, take up your cross, die to self, which IS the message needed. I'm about through with the false Gospel people preach now a days. It's about winning souls for Christ, getting people saved, not some "tickle your ears" "prosperity preacher!!!!"

2 Timothy 4:2-4 (King James Version)

2Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

sad.

Last edited:

tffy2004

I received another letter today and just like the first one I was given a portion of the prophetic word and was asked to send in an offering of X amount of money to get the rest. Another thing I found disturbing on his site was this:

"What does giving actually reveal about me?

Your giving is a reflection of what is in your heart. Your financial condition reflects the condition of your soul, for you prosper even as your soul prospers (3 John 2). But once you begin to “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12), you’ll operate in covenant with God, and your change of heart will manifest in your finances. The prosperity of your outer experience is dependent upon the status of your inner man. Debt is a signal that your inner man is starving."

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
RelaxerRehab said:
I understand what you're saying. I can only respond by saying that:

1. Every prophet on the planet isn't false. There are still true prophets of God on the earth today.

2. You can know a prophet by the FRUIT of their WORD. Do their words come to pass? Yay or nay? That's the simplicity of the answer. Another aspect of this conversation is when a person might get a personal propetic word. This is where issues of conditionality come in....

ITA sis!:D You are on point. I just feel sorry for those who have been robbed.:ohwell:

Pam Pam

RelaxerRehab said:
1 Kings 17

8And the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, (him being Elijah)

9Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee.

10So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, the widow woman was there gathering of sticks: and he called to her, and said, Fetch me, I pray thee, a little water in a vessel, that I may drink.

11And as she was going to fetch it, he called to her, and said, Bring me, I pray thee, a morsel of bread in thine hand.

12And she said, As the LORD thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die.

13And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake FIRST, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son. (capitalization my emphasis)

14For thus saith the LORD God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the LORD sendeth rain upon the earth.

15And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and he, and her house, did eat many days.
16And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Elijah.

Right, but look at verse 9...God sent him to the woman...he didn't solicit her....

I have commanded a widow woman to sustain thee...

God had already given her the revelation that this man of God was coming.

I don't think it's the same....