Pro's and Con's of not relaxing bone straight?

lonei

Could you please list these, for instance, does not relaxing your hair bone straight lead to stronger hair, but at the smae time is it harder to manage? Whats your experience? (please state your hair type)

Allandra

I love my hair not being relaxed bone straight. I like the fact that it still has plenty of texture. When I USED to wear my hair out as a wash 'n go, it would be nice and wavy and the ends would get a little curly. For my hair, having it not relaxed bone straight makes it stronger.

Caramela

The good part of not relaxing bone straight (which by the way, I learned from Allandra ;) ) is stronger hair, more body and retained growth. I also still have a wave/curl pattern, so I can wash n' wear, which I do frequently in the summer. I use a mild relaxer and leave it on for only a smidgen of time.
The bad part is, when it's humid, it tends to frizz quickly :ohwell:

lonei

ok, thanks ladies but does your hair tend to mat when its wet, how easy is it to detangle or to produce a completely straight style without direct heat-say maybe just by using a hooded dryer?

Allandra

lonei said:
ok, thanks ladies but does your hair tend to mat when its wet, how easy is it to detangle or to produce a completely straight style without direct heat-say maybe just by using a hooded dryer?
I've never had matted hair (wet or dry). I detangle my hair in the shower, and it's always easy for me. For a straight style without direct heat, I've gotten rollersets then wrapped (works for me every time with no problem). HTH.

RabiaElaine

Allandra and others,

I've just started relaxing not bone straight as of yesterday. I used Affirm mild and I would say it was processed start to finish for 10-12 minutes. I have 4a/b hair texture. I'm happy to stop having the limp bone straight hair. My only concern is dealing with the transition because I have bone straight hair every where else except the roots that were just touched up. Now I will have to deal with 3 textures when my new growth comes in. I hope it's not too hard for me to rollerset and detangle.

Did you have to transition to not relaxing bone straight or have you always been doing this? How do you deal with it?

HoneyDew

I cannot self-relax bone straight. My hair is so resistant, but I am scared to use a stronger relaxer.

It helps me prevent overlapping too much but I do find it harder to stretch my relaxers. The few times that I got it done at the salon and it was bone straight, I was able to stretch longer.

But even with texlaxing, I can still get the managablity that I want.

Lady_Lioness

When my hair isn't relaxed bone straight...it feels alot fuller and thicker...I hate that limp, lifeless look of hair when it's too straight...I agree with allandra when I don't relax bone straight it feels alot stronger.

RabiaElaine

HoneyDew said:
I cannot self-relax bone straight. My hair is so resistant, but I am scared to use a stronger relaxer.

It helps me prevent overlapping too much but I do find it harder to stretch my relaxers. The few times that I got it done at the salon and it was bone straight, I was able to stretch longer.

But even with texlaxing, I can still get the managablity that I want.

Uh oh! Why do you think it's harder to stretch what are you experiencing??

Britt

Caramela and Allandra, do you guys self relax? I relaxed my hair recently with Motions Mild and the hairdresser was very nasty to me. She insisted that my hair would not get straight with a mild relaxer and was snickering behind my point
. Anyway, much to my surprise my hair came out a lot straighter than I anticipated
. How long do you guys smooth for and do you use a tail comb or a normal sized comb? Also, if you do go to the hairdresser, does she have a hard time understanding that you do not want your hair bone straight?

SweetCaramel1

She insisted that my hair would not get straight with a mild relaxer and was snickering behind my point
. [/QUOTE]

it makes me so mad when stylists puts down their clients. they think they know everything! one stylist gave me a hard time because i hadn't relaxed my hair in 8 weeks. like she never seen new growth before! she actually broke out with a pressing comb!

Caramela

Britt said:
Caramela and Allandra, do you guys self relax? I relaxed my hair recently with Motions Mild and the hairdresser was very nasty to me. She insisted that my hair would not get straight with a mild relaxer and was snickering behind my point
. Anyway, much to my surprise my hair came out a lot straighter than I anticipated
. How long do you guys smooth for and do you use a tail comb or a normal sized comb? Also, if you do go to the hairdresser, does she have a hard time understanding that you do not want your hair bone straight?
1. Yes I self relax, Motions Mild, same as you.
2. I smooth with my gloved fingers, and gently use a comb around my edges.
3. I don't fool with hairdressers! They can't get anything right!! The water is too hot, they towel dry causing my hair to mat up, they don't use wide tooth combs, heat is too hot, they take too dag on long, and they charge outrageous prices. I'm my own hairdresser, thank you very much :grin:

Britt

Caramela said:
1. Yes I self relax, Motions Mild, same as you.
2. I smooth with my gloved fingers, and gently use a comb around my edges.
3. I don't fool with hairdressers! They can't get anything right!! The water is too hot, they towel dry causing my hair to mat up, they don't use wide tooth combs, heat is too hot, they take too dag on long, and they charge outrageous prices. I'm my own hairdresser, thank you very much :grin:

Thanks Caramela! See, I kinda wanted my hair to have a texturized kinda look or at least maintain some of my wave/curl pattern but that heifer smoothed my hair to no end
. Wow, so u dont smooth with a tail comb huh? I've heard that instead of using a tail comb I could use a regular sized comb to smooth my new growth that way I maintain some of my curl pattern.
OT: do u still use ORS hair mayo? If so, how long do u leave it on for?

HoneyDew

SweetCaramel1 said:
She insisted that my hair would not get straight with a mild relaxer and was snickering behind my point

it makes me so mad when stylists puts down their clients. they think they know everything! one stylist gave me a hard time because i hadn't relaxed my hair in 8 weeks. like she never seen new growth before! she actually broke out with a pressing comb!

I had the same problem with a lady that used to do my hair. She made it seem like something was wrong with my hair. I went to her because she does good weaves. But, now that I am not getting weaves, I am free to love my hair w/o the discouragment.

She also broke out the pressing comb on me after I was 12 weeks post and coming out of a weave. :eek:

Allandra

Britt said:
I don not relax my own hair (way too much work for this head of hair. My hair stylist doesn't smooth it at all (just puts it in and takes it out - that's all - and NO combing it thru on my hair).

Britt

Allandra said:
I don not relax my own hair (way too much work for this head of hair. My hair stylist doesn't smooth it at all (just puts it in and takes it out - that's all - and NO combing it thru on my hair).

Wow! No combing, If I told a stylist that they would look at me like
. They just can't seem to understand that not everyone wants their hair bone straight.

CurleeDST

IMO relaxing bone straight means lifeless, flat to the scalp hair. That isn't cute. I prefer hair with body and movement, not plastered.

lonei said:
Could you please list these, for instance, does not relaxing your hair bone straight lead to stronger hair, but at the smae time is it harder to manage? Whats your experience? (please state your hair type)

Belle Du Jour

Will using a mild relaxer guarantee that your hair doesn't get bone straight? Or will it get straight if you leave it on long enough?

sylver2

CurleeDST said:
IMO relaxing bone straight means lifeless, flat to the scalp hair. That isn't cute. I prefer hair with body and movement, not plastered.

Its cute to me..:), I luv bone straight on me. I think that woman with thin hair should not get relaxed bone straight

miracle

CurleeDST said:

:up: :up: :up: :up: I used to get my hair relaxed bone straight, and would have to wait two weeks or so for it to get some bounce and body. Now that I've learned to do my own hair, I don't relax bone straight.

HoneyDew

sylver2 said:
Its cute to me..:), I luv bone straight on me. I think that woman with thin hair should not get relaxed bone straight

I think it is cute, as well. If I did not self relax I would go for bone straight.

But, even after relaxing, I flat iron to get a straighter look, so it is kinda similar.

Sylver2 your hair looks great bone straight!