Poll: Relaxing-Straight, Bone Straight, Texturizing, Texlaxing, For Long-term?

Which is better for long-term hair health and length?

• Bone Straight

Votes: 20 5.8%
  • Straight

Votes: 141 40.6%
  • Texlaxing

Votes: 131 37.8%
  • Texturizing

Votes: 55 15.9%

• Total voters

OneInAMillion

sareca said:
I'm texturized, but my hair rollersets straight. I can go from an afro to very straight w/o direct heat. I :love: my hair.

Same here! I love being texturized, it just takes a lot of patience. Overall, I think how your hair responds has to do with how fine it is. Mine is very fine, so bone straight is not an option.

Mitre

I just relaxed my new growth straight because of the shedding and 1246545645
64 zillion hair types. I love texrelax hair but could not deal with it. My hai was not rollersetting straight

Lioness

Interesting topic:scratchch

I am 100% natural, and I have just stopped wearing full head weaves.

But styling my hair, I do not want to be using direct heat everyday just to get my afro into a smooth pony tail....
OOoooohhhhh I'm soooooo tempted to relax:sekret:
The health and growth rate of my hair has really improved since BCing all of the old relaxer off last year, and I don't want to do anything to affect that.

My hair strands are fine, although there are ALOT. I want to retain the body I have now, and I want the option to not be under the obligation to put chemicals in my hair every so often as you would have to with a full relaxer.

I just need the option to be straight without a lot of heat, but still have body.

What's a girl to do???
Any advice?

shaydufblu

Highlander
If I had relaxed hair, I'd probably vote for texlaxed.

But I have a question for you ladies. For the ones who said texlaxed left them with too many tangles, etc., how many of you had natural hair before (that you learned how to manage). Coming from this side of the spectrum I would think if you've had the kinkiest of the kinky :lol: a little tangle is nothing! Reason I am asking is b/c I am going to do the texlaxed thing soon (I've been saying this for 3 months - I am back in love with my natural hair:lol: ) and I'm wondering if texlaxed really is that difficult or if it's b/c you have no experience dealing with natural hair.

Does that make sense?

Nanyanika

i personally prefer straight relaxed hair, the texturizer caused far more breakage and very dry tangly ends

~Nigeria~

I like to relax bone straight. I love the way it looks. Also, contrary to popular belief, relaxing bone straight does not take away all elasticity. My hair has a lot of elasticity.

SouthernGirl

Hey Girlie :wave:,

I guess you would consider my hair relaxed bone straight, although that has never been my intention when doing my self-relaxers. When I started doing them I just followed the timing guide in the insert based on my level of coarseness and it just came out bone straight.

My hair has never been damaged since being relaxed. I actually believe it's the healthiest it's ever been. A huge advantage for me while being relaxed bone straight is that I could go forever without using heat and my hair is still straight. It airdries straight, so when my roots are puffy, all I need is a silk bandana and it lays down flat like the rest.

So, being relaxed bone straight has spared my hair b/c as a result, I've only had to use heat when I was in a rush and didn't have time to airdry.

HTH,

SG

cmw45

I've always wondered how ladies who texturize or texlax prevent the relaxer from straightening hair that's already been straightened when they was the texturizer out?:confused:

HighlyFavored1

Since I started stretching my relaxers (and using phyto 2), i've kind of been forced to texlax. My hair just isn't relaxing super straight anymore. I'm not sure how I feel about it though because it causes extra matting and some parts just feel dry, poofy, and fuzzy.

Is it just because only the top few inches are texlaxed? I hope it doesn't continue feeling so tangly. I'm looking forward to texlaxing adding thickness and restoring elasticity to my hair and I'd hate to have to go back to being so straight.

brandy

I voted texlaxed because before my BC I had texlaxed hair that was strong and grew quite well. I also retained my hair thickness. I could rollerset straight or blow dry straight and could stretch relaxers for up to 16 weeks.
I had more style options.

Although when I was relaxed a couple of years ago, my hair grew quite well and I still had thick hair but could not stretch relaxer for more than 12 weeks.

I underprocessed my hair aka "texlaxed" on accident. My hair is stronger than it will be when I do a corrective in a few weeks but I am not able to style it in this state. Until I have had a chance to do a corrective relaxer and get it straight I will keep bunning. I can say my curl patter is beautiful this way.

hottopic

RabiaElaine said:
Hmmm this is interesting....

I voted for texlaxed. Right now I'm transitioning to texlaxed ( I have about 3 inches of texlaxed hair, the rest is bone straight, and then I have new growth too). I think once I get rid of all of the bone straight ends I will enjoy my texlaxed hair more. For me what tangles right now is the line between my texlaxed and bone straight hair.

I have fine hair and there isn't much of it, so I feel that texlaxing is giving me more body. However once my new growth comes in thick I am dealing with 3 textures instead of 2, and that is what makes it a lot of work. Couple that with stretching and you have a situation where you need a lot of patience! That's why I've incorporated braids into my regimen to help through my stretch once I'm 8-9 weeks post.

Like someone said before...I looooooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeee big hair! So once I get rid of these bone straight ends I think I will be wearing way less straight styles. I'll probably only where my hair straight on special occasions and only if I feel like it. I can't wait to rock a texlaxed fro...not sure what that will look like...but I plan on experimenting.

Transitioning to texlaxed takes a lot of patience...but I really believe once I'm finished transtioning I will be really happy with my hair. We'll see how I feel about this transition after my next relaxer. By that time I should have 5-6 inches of texlaxed hair.:perplexed

We have the same goal. I texlax...thanks to Isis...I am in love with her hair. Plus, I love thick hair. So Texlax me baby :)

xxxxcherishxxxx

den1 said:
i personally prefer straight relaxed hair, the texturizer caused far more breakage and very dry tangly ends

Exactly! My hair does not do well texlaxed and I just learned this and have relaxed my hair straight, not bone straight though I still have body.

znapps

In the last 12 months I've gone from natural, to texturized (accidentally) to texlaxed. My wet hair is loose curls and waves that dries to look like stereotypical "good hair". I can roller set or pull into a pony tail to dry. I also picked up the Dominican blow-out technique when I lived on the east coast and used to sit in the salon for 2-3 hours every other week, so I do that a couple of times a year. Overall, my fine hair likes to be straighter, but I like having the texture and versatility so I put up with a little more breakage now than I would if I were bone straight.

Planning to stay texlaxed 4 life!

dillard

Great topic! I didn't vote cuz I have no idea what I like yet. I guess right now, I relax bone straight. When I leave the salon, my hair is extremely straight, so far I don't think it has been a problem, but I just discovered LHCF and I wasn't paying close attention to my hair before. So I'll have to come back to this after I get my next relaxer June 21st (which will be 10-wk stretch). I prefer thicker hair and I almost always wear my hair curly (rollerset) so maybe I will consider the texlax.

gymfreak336

I am voting straight. I was texlaxed my accident a couple of times and I got more breakage and problems. My hair is easier to manage and I do less to it when it is relaxed straight.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I actually have a question:

What's the difference between texlaxed hair and underprocessed hair. It would seem to me that texlaxed hair is pretty much the same as underprocessed.

Anyone have an idea?

Seeking8Rights

I voted straight, because no matter how long I leave a no-lye relaxer on it still comes out straight, but not bone straight (I think). Hmmm, I might have to sleep on this one...:perplexed

When I wash and air dry my hair, it drys straight with MUCH volume (when combed out) almost like a straight afro (if that makes since). If I don't comb it out then it has a slight curl but nothing significant. When I rollerset, my hair is straight and flat, with no volume, which I like.

seymone

Mizanimami, I was having this issue recently and I decided to relax straight previously. I was textlaxed and I was having more problems than a little bit, shedding, breaking,dryness. I had to use more product to get any results. Now that I am relaxed straight much much less shedding, no dryness and only have to use a little bit of product,

SparklingFlame

Honestly I dont think it really matters.

You can have your hair from bone strait to texturized, and still have it breaking off and unhealthy if you dont take care of it.

I think that no matter how you choose to relax it, make sure you take proper care of it based on the level of relaxation that you choose and it will be fine and your hair will show its length over time.

FluffyRed

I self texlax/texturize.

I try to get the smallest degree of relaxation of curl. I have no problem doing a "flatiron" technique (with a curling iron) on my newly texlaxed roots.

Also, that way, when I do a touchup, the inevitable overlap will not turn my fine hair to mush.

DivaD04

Stillalady, you're rock'n the braidout!

i've felt like i was in school answering OP's poll.
although i answered straight, i agree w/ Still. i think it depends on one's comfort. long term, i prefer straight-bone straight, because i don't like to deal w/ tangles and knots.