Big-Headed Girls Unite

Ipanema

Well, I'm running out of protective hairstyle ideas. I'm not someone with a cute, little head, so buns don't look right. Besides, my hair is too thick to fit into a bun. The wig I was wearing is so tight around my head that I get a headache when I wear it, even though it looks good. Also, my hair is a weird color, so most phonytails don't match. Is there anyone who has grown their hair long without protective hairstyles. I've been trying to manipulate my hair as little as possible--only to wash & moisturize. Then I sweep it up & wear it as a shrunken puff (my braid-out expired days ago). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

pebbles

Hi Ipanema,

Have you tried looking for another wig that might fit you better?

Karonica

Hi fellow big-headed ladies!

Ipanema, I can't stand buns on my head either.
For now, I'm wearing my hair in curls. I consider them protective because I don't have to comb them. Just wet my hair a bit, or even when it's dry, add gel, and roll them up. The next morning, they have some crisp, so when I pluck them apart, I add some grease or oil sheen and I'm good to go. Curls are versatile. You can wear 'em up down, however you want. I also use spritz to keep my styles fresh. *ducking*

Premierepearl08

[ QUOTE ]
AFashionSlave said:
Another Big Head checking in. I have a big APPLE Head!

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's a cut apple head though!
At least you don't have a big head and a long face...try that one!! That wonderful twist-out that you do would make my face look like it touches the floor!!! Ipanema, I *always* ( and I do mean always) do puffs. When you find something else to do, please let me know!!

jaibee

premierepearl, a big head long faced girl checkin in! If i don't put my bun in the right spot in my head it makes my head look huge

Ipanema

LOL!
I actually have been trying to stretch out the headband of my wig with a small ball. I looked all over for a nice wig that wasn't too expensive, and that had a nice texture. I don't have a problem with my shrunken puff, but winter's coming...It would be nice if someone made puff covers like they do bun covers.

sunny

big head girl here!..if u have bangs u could wear them out and throw the rest of ur hair in a bun ..protective styling and minimal head exposure!!

sylviaetc

whats a bun cover? anyway i have a big head too, and i also hate buns. i wear my hair out almost everyday and it's about 4in. from my bra strap so i must be doing smething right. i agree with karonica, wear curls. protective styles are key but they're not everyones cup of tea. (no rhyme intended) although i wear curls, i only hot curl my hair twice a week, and in between those times i use these wrap snap and go curlers that keep my hair curly without heat. it only takes one roller in the top of my head to create a cascade of curls that last all day. maybe you've seen the infomercial?

ms_kenesha

Another big head long face girl here
this is why I DO NOT do buns my bun looks like a little gold ball on a watermelon!

Peachtree

Hubby tells me that I have a "big head", but I'm in denial... maybe this BGA (Big Headed Anonymous) group will help me to accept my big headed-ness
!

soulchild

Another big-headed sista checking in.

I used to always wear my hair parted down the middle because it seemed to make my forehead not so obvious.

Lindy

Are you guys talking about a big head, just in general, or a big forehead?? Even though I have a big forehead, I actually think I have a small head...
Look on the bright side ladies, a bigger head = more hair!! Hey, maybe that's why it always looks to me like I don't have that much hair!!!

Hey, can one of you big headed ladies (
) do me a favor and measure your head from ear to ear (across the top, from the tip of one ear to the tip of the other) and from the hairline in the front to where your hair ends in the back (the kitchen)??? I'm just really curious now about my head size!!

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
Are you guys talking about a big head, just in general, or a big forehead?? Even though I have a big forehead, I actually think I have a small head...
Look on the bright side ladies, a bigger head = more hair!! Hey, maybe that's why it always looks to me like I don't have that much hair!!!

Hey, can one of you big headed ladies (
) do me a favor and measure your head from ear to ear (across the top, from the tip of one ear to the tip of the other) and from the hairline in the front to where your hair ends in the back (the kitchen)??? I'm just really curious now about my head size!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread is becoming toooo funny

Needing measurements & all

miss_brown

Okay, can I just say that this thread is hilarious

Anyway, this is another big head check in. And ditto, soulchild on the middle part to minimize the 8-head.

Ipanema, I'm also a natural, and when unpressed (which is 80% of the time), I usually rock a twist out or pony puff (not that protective for ends, but no heat). Now that my hair's longer, I also wear kinky buns sometimes and I'm working on using Adrienne's baggie technique under this new kinky hair that I found at the BSS. It's basically a track that I wrap around the moisturized, baggie-covered, pony puff.

Naturalistic

I'm proud of my big forehead. I always got the "Sade" comments back in the day (I did the bun w/red lipstick). Anyway, my hair is natural & thick & a regular bun can be difficult sometimes. What I've been doing lately is wearing a twist bun. I put fat twists all over my head (about 10-15); they don't have to be neat but I smooth the twists along my hairline. Then I pull them back into a bun. It seems less hair than when all your hair is loose. It looks chic & my bun has that super thick look to it that makes people think it's an attachment.

DDHair

This is why I love this site, it is like a big AA meeting, lol. I know what you mean about finding nice protective styles to fit your face. I found a wig that I like, really I don't have that much of a problem with the wigs, it seems like the longer wigs have more adjustable straps. Now I do have bun problems, because my head is so big, as stated earlier, bangs help to not make head not look so huge. I have an even bigger problem because I am transitioning, so I am having styling issues, which usually lead to protective styles of wigs or crochet braids (in pictures).

Isis

Oprah talked about her head more than once on her show. She said it was exceptionally large and her challenge was finding hats made big enough. Her hair styles, even her longer ones in the past, always looked good on her head.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
sylviaetc said:
20in...d@mn! is that big?

[/ QUOTE ]

20 in... from ear to ear, or front to back???!! Well, mine is 12 in. from ear to ear, and 15 from front hairline to back hairline.

Looks like no one else wants to measure theirs, huh???

GrowthSpurt

My head is beyond big. It's a bowling ball wearing a human's mask. I hate it. I see the cutest hats and they wont even squeeze past my temples.

Get braids. Seriously. That's the best protective style for us big heads.

Premierepearl08

[ QUOTE ]
jaibee said:
premierepearl, a big head long faced girl checkin in! If i don't put my bun in the right spot in my head it makes my head look huge

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you can wear a bun! I am natural now but when I was relaxed, I didn't usually do ponytails or buns unless I had a huge "bang" swept over part of my "5-finger forehead"!!

adrienne0914

i have a huge head! my brother called me "box head" when we were little. lol! you know those baseball caps that have the snap thing in the back? i have to let it out to the last snap, and it's still snug.

ioancare how it looks though. i'm tryna achieve a goal. so ole box head is wearing her bun anyway!! HAAAAA!!!!

sweetcocoa

I have a big forehead. It use to bother me alot...but now that I'm older I don't give a 'poop'...I do find when I wear a bun..the bigger is is the better. If the bun's too 'puny' than it looks funny. I add hair to the bun if I need to. When I wear ponytails I find a part(center) makes my head look smaller than when I comb it straight back. I also have to secure my ponytail in the right area in the back of my head(not too high and not too low) or my head looks funny.

nuwoman02

This is so funny
Just tonight my sister and I were measuring each others heads for fun. We are 12" ear to ear. I feel sooo much better knowing I am not alone when it comes to super domes. Boy, if the size of the head meant intelligence. Let's just say I would be the smartest chic on the block!!

Peachtree

Ok Lindy, I'm gonna measure my dome... but not now... hubby (the teaser) is near by... gotta wait til he goes in the other room. I can see it now... he'll tell our grandchildren "yo' granny was up late 1 morning measuring that big 'ole head of hers for dat dere hair board..."