Protective style wearers...What are you doing for your itchies???

lil'paw

My hair is currently in individual braids and my scalp is itching like mad and its only been a week!!!
I don't want to wash my hair just yet so I don't want to much build up.
I'm using Surge 14 every other day and Dr. Miracle's Braid Relief Super Strength for the itchies but it's not working. Anyone have any other suggestions? :look:

JustKiya

Try rinsing your hair well with just water. Just because you are holding off on washing it, doesn't mean you can't get it wet. I find that a GOOD rinsing tends to get rid at least some of whatever is on your scalp making it itch.

mscocoface

I use a spray:

1-2 drops of peppermint oil
2-4 oz of water

Be careful of how much peppermint you use because it is very strong.

It leaves my scalp feeling tingly and helps with those itchys.

With the protective style I will even put a little peppermint oil in my conditioner when I wash.

Iluvsmuhgrass

:look: Um... I've been scratching. :ohwell: My itchies haven't been that bad though. I just used the horsey juice (gotta use it up) and about three days later I had the itchies and a lil bit of growth.

KiniKakes

nappywomyn said:
Try rinsing your hair well with just water. Just because you are holding off on washing it, doesn't mean you can't get it wet. I find that a GOOD rinsing tends to get rid at least some of whatever is on your scalp making it itch.

I agree! Also, dont be afraid to scratch it. You dont have to get crazy with it, but gently scratching or rubbing with your fingertips wont harm it. :)

lil'paw

Thanks y'all...I think I probably will just have to get a little water mixed with maybe a little Dr. Bronner's Peppermint shampoo on my scalp other wise I don't think I'm gonna make it!!

You know I have an MTG mixture leftover w/WGO and some other EO AND I have another mixture of sulfur powder with emu, tea tree and other EO. I use to think that the sulfur actually stops the itching but I tried the MTG mixture today and it stopped for a while they it started again. :confused:

Does the sulfur help anyone else with itching?

Radianthealth

I am working on a scalp treatment using the essential oils in my siggy and eucalyptis oil and some aloe vera juice maybe a little vegetable glycerine. I will keep it in a nozzle tip bottle and massage it into my scalp daily.

I love the smell of it throughout the day. I am really enjoying my braids. I will refresh/rebraid/wash/condition them weekly.:)

Dr Miracles also makes a nice tingly braid spray that is great for your scalp. You can use a nozzle tip bottle to apply to the scalp daily.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

lil'paw

Thanks trimbride, your braids are nice.:)

P.S...You can return my shower curtains though....teehee :grin:

Last edited:

mscocoface

I am using this.

1-2 drops of peppermint essential oil
2-4 oz of water

I put it in a spray bottle and used it on my scalp. If feels really good and helps a lot with the itching.

I have also put a few drops of the peppermint oil in my conditioner and my daily spritzer. Not too much, but just enough to give me that tingle and cool sensation. It really feels good on my scalp.

lil'paw

mscocoface said:
I am using this.

1-2 drops of peppermint essential oil
2-4 oz of water

I put it in a spray bottle and used it on my scalp. If feels really good and helps a lot with the itching.

I have also put a few drops of the peppermint oil in my conditioner and my daily spritzer. Not too much, but just enough to give me that tingle and cool sensation. It really feels good on my scalp.

The peppermint is good too I like the way it makes my scalp feel. My sulfur powder mixture I have has peppermint oil in it. So maybe after I wash it gently with the diluted peppermint shampoo, I'll try it on my scalp and see what happens. :)