Protective Styling and Why?

FashionistaNY

I see that a lot of ladies on this board wear their hair in protective styles such as a bun. However, my question, do you ever get tired of wearing a bun everyday? Not only, why attain for long hair when all you will do is wear it in a bun?

Just wondering.

balisi

The purpose of protective styling is to give your hair a fighting chance to retain growth, especially when the hair reaches collar and/or shoulder length. Friction from the hair rubbing against these areas contributes to split ends and breakage, which inhibits lenth. Once the hair has achieved the desired length, protective styling continues to offer protection from friction and other elements that can cause breakage such as wind in the hair. It just helps to keep the hair in optimal condition. Those who continue protective styling once the desired length is achieved may choose to wear their hair loose only occasionally, as they have nothing to prove by wearing it out all the time.

pressncurl

I did the bun daily for awhile, but I became so bored wearing my hair that way. My husband hated it also, especially when he realized it was going to be an ongoing thing. Now, I wear my hair up when I'm wearing sweaters or any type of clothing that will snag my hair, but otherwise I wear it down--usually a twistout style. I suppose you could say twistouts are also protective.

FashionistaNY

krissyprissy said:
The purpose of protective styling is to grow long hair.

I totally understand that. But why have long hair if all your going to do is wear it in a bun? Couldn't the friction of wrapping your hair around and the stress of being tied into a bun cause damage?

Last edited:

caligirl

FashionistaNY said:
I totally understand that. But why have long hair if all your going to do is wear it in a bun? Couldn't the friction of wrapping your hair around and the stress of being tied into a bun cause damage?

Uh huh, I feel this way too. I know one girl with waistlength hair who wears her hair out every single day! No matter what...rain, snow, exercise. She kills me. That'll be me one day once I reach my goal.

MomofThreeBoys

FashionistaNY said:
I totally understand that. But why have long hair if all your going to do is wear it in a bun?

Most people don't wear their hair in a bun all the time just most of the time. I am a big fan of protective styles. It has enabled me to retain length and achieve healthy hair. I will wear it down on occasion. But everyday? What for? It's more work to wear my hair down everyday anyway. My hair comes down for special occasions, occasional weekends, and whenever I feel like looking "special". It's either protective styles most of the time or breakage. I'll take the former.

Last edited:

baglady215

I agree. I wear my hair "out" on the weekends, and by Monday, I feel that my ends are dry and rough. The protective styles during the week add moisture back in so I'm ready for the weekend again!

Tami

Miss Bubblegum
I wear my hair out everyday usually. But after I start getting new growth I start protective styling because my hair doesnt lay flat. So I enjoy it down for as long as I can.

Shatani

my hair is pretty much always in protective styles....i havent the time nor the inclination to be styling my hair all the time! its cuter this way, and i get to sleep in in the mornings!!! what more could you ask for??

mkstar826

supersonic
For me, wearing protective styles is not about having long hair. It's just a preference. :yep: I also like it because it keeps my hair in better condition than wearing it out all the time. But if I want to wear my hair out in a fro or something, I will. But even if my hair grew to my feet, I'd still wear protective styles the majority of the time because that's what I like. It's easier for me...

mkstar826

supersonic
Shatani said:
my hair is pretty much always in protective styles....i havent the time nor the inclination to be styling my hair all the time! its cuter this way, and i get to sleep in in the mornings!!! what more could you ask for??

exactly! i can get up and go and not have to fool with it. :)

Mizani_Mrs

FashionistaNY said:

This has been my way of thinking also. I've seen so many pretty 'heads' on this board and when they mention they mostly wear buns, its like what a waste.... Like all that pretty hair and no one gets to see it. Personally, I sorta get depressed when my hair is pinned up for longer than 3 days. :look: I love seeing my hair out. But it's a personal preference, i guess some ladies prefer heathly & long over cute. And if u ask me....i want them all!!!!

oh and another thing, Cathy Howse, she was totally against french rolls and other protective styles. she said that when your ends are touching the rest of your hair, it's drying out the moisture in it, thus drying oout your hair even more.
probably the protective styles such as baggie method would be good, but i wouldn't want to do buns or french rolls.

angaliquew

I guess it's whatever your preference is, but the majority of women I know with long/healthy hair always have their hair up in a bun or ponytail...maybe that's the key to maintain length :confused:

P.S. mkstar826 your twist are beautiful!

Nay

I don't think protective styling means a bun all the time or that you can never wear your hair out. It's just a matter of making conscious choices about what things (heat, certain fabrics, or extreme temperatures) do to your hair, and then trying to protect your hair from those things often enough so that your hair can thrive.

A "protective style" might be a style that you can wrap as opposed to having to use your hot curlers. Or it might be getting looser box braids as opposed to french braids that are so tight that they are pulling your hair off your temples.

So, again, trust me. It doesn't mean that to have long hair you must be doomed to a life of bunning it :lol:

Jewell

Well, when I wear a bun, I just wrap the hair around on itself gently and put some hairsticks in it. Or, I may wear a french twist. Usually. I may twist my hair up lightly and put a large bobby pin or clip in it. I don't use elastics except to baggie my hair at night, and even then, the elastic goes on top of the plastic, which is the only thing physically touching my hair. Needless to say there are very minute amounts of friction applied, if any.

I wear protective styles now, because I am trying to avoid trimming until Dec 05. After this year, I will only trim once a year. Also, when I wore my hair down everyday, I noticed I had more split ends and had to trim more, and they were constantly dry, no matter what I put on them. Now, my ends are nice, smooth, split end free, and moisturized. I put shea butter on my ends before I put my hair up. All in all, protective styling allows me to retain length by avoiding frequent trimming. A lot of women with long hair wear their hair up a lot. I think it helps. If I went back to wearing my hair down everyday, i would have to wrap it everynight to get the straight look, and I found out wrapping was causing a bit of breakage for me. :ohwell:

MomofThreeBoys

Agreed. I'm wearing my version of a protective style now: my hair was set with the red flexirods and it is not touching my clothes. Once my hair gets a lot longer, I might not consider this a protective style and then maybe I will do a messy updo with the flexirods instead.

Nay said:
I don't think protective styling means a bun all the time or that you can never wear your hair out. It's just a matter of making conscious choices about what things (heat, certain fabrics, or extreme temperatures) do to your hair, and then trying to protect your hair from those things often enough so that your hair can thrive.

A "protective style" might be a style that you can wrap as opposed to having to use your hot curlers. Or it might be getting looser box braids as opposed to french braids that are so tight that they are pulling your hair off your temples.

So, again, trust me. It doesn't mean that to have long hair you must be doomed to a life of bunning it :lol:

California

I'm not knocking it, the protective styles, if it works for you then by all means do it! I just don't like it, I try to keep my hair strong and moist within and through, so I can just let my hair go or whatever I feel. I should've been a natural, but that wouldn't have worked either, I like my hair combed in an ample time frame.

luvSLave

Mizani_Mrs said:
This has been my way of thinking also. I've seen so many pretty 'heads' on this board and when they mention they mostly wear buns, its like what a waste.... Like all that pretty hair and no one gets to see it. Personally, I sorta get depressed when my hair is pinned up for longer than 3 days. :look: I love seeing my hair out. But it's a personal preference, i guess some ladies prefer heathly & long over cute. And if u ask me....i want them all!!!!
A waste? That's like saying that if you have a hot body you should always wear skimpy attire.:lol: I think it's a matter of personal taste. I've always loved the simple elegance of buns. And if you've got a great face you don't need to obstruct folks' view with a bunch of hair. I wear protective styles because I like them, any hair benefits are extra. Curly updos are sexy without being "in your face." I like that I get crazy attention when I wear my hair down, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that people rarely see it so I love protective styles for that reason as well.

mkstar826

supersonic
luvSLave said:
A waste? That's like saying that if you have a hot body you should always wear skimpy attire.:lol: I think it's a matter of personal taste. .

:lachen:

i was trying to think of an analogy and you beat me to this one. i mean how is it a waste? not everyone is trying to impress others and wear it out for others all the time. i think most are doing it to please themselves. it is very personal.

sprungonhairboards

mkstar826 said:
:lachen:

i was trying to think of an analogy and you beat me to this one. i mean how is it a waste? not everyone is trying to impress others and wear it out for others all the time. i think most are doing it to please themselves. it is very personal.

I agree with the original poster. Long healthy hair needs to be a swingin all the time. Not for others but for yourself. Swing it D**mit! I also believe if you have a hot body you should be butt naked 80% of the time. Take it off! Don't be scurred.

California

sprungonhairboards said:
I agree with the original poster. Long healthy hair needs to be a swingin all the time. Not for others but for yourself. Swing it D**mit! I also believe if you have a hot body you should be butt naked 80% of the time. Take it off! Don't be scurred.

You said it California style!!! :lol:

Allandra

FashionistaNY said:
I see that a lot of ladies on this board wear their hair in protective styles such as a bun. However, my question, do you ever get tired of wearing a bun everyday? Not only, why attain for long hair when all you will do is wear it in a bun?

Just wondering.
I never get tired of wearing a bun (nor the other protective styles that I wear). I do let my hair down every now and then. ;)

Ashee

FashionistaNY said:

Just wondering.
I have found a few sites that suggests that you wear protective styles until your hair passes shoulder length.
Apparently shoulder length is when hair goes through the most torture... It gets snugged in clothes, turtlenecks, bag handles, coats, etc. Also, for those who have waist length & beyond put it up to protect from sitting on it, pants, belts, etc.
Different reasons, but no reason not to show off the length every now & then. If you have different goals (protecting ends, thickening ends, etc.) you'll have different reasons to use protective styles.
Also, there are hundreds of variations to protective styles/up-dos!!
HAVE FUN!!:thumbsup:

Sweet_Ambrosia

I wear protective styles 90% of time, mainly to aid in the growth of my hair. It saves me time, I dont wanna take 30-45 mins each day just to style my hair! When I reach my desired hair goal I will continue to wear protective styles just not as much.

Peachtree

I like to wear my hair in buns & other protective styles cuz it's convenient. I sometimes get tired of the bun, but I LUV the ease of styling... especially when I'm rushing out to work!!