Protective Styling Dilemma -- Suggestions?

Charla

I really want to lock my hair away for low/no manipulation, maximum growth and retention, but I also want access to my scalp to continue to apply my sulfur oil and do scalp massages (which I use a 3-prong comb for).

I've been wigging it up all year, and I'm T-I-R-E-D of wigs -- half and full.

I feel like the only solution is braids, but I never feel like I do good in braids because I want to do scalp massages, and I feel like I'm doing damage or breaking my hair if I try with braids.

Also I feel like if I apply my sulfur, and of course I need to rub it in, then I'll just end up with raggedy braids at the roots.

Am I missing something? Are there other options of protective styling or ways to keep my braids looking neat even though I'll need to apply the oil and massage? I've been pouring thru threads and YT to find a solution.

I feel like it's under my nose, but I'm missing it. Please help!

faithVA

I feel your pain. I am wearing mini two strands twists. I apply the oil with one of those tubed bottles and I place my fingers in the parts to massage my scalp. I use the tips of my fingers pressed firmly into my scalp to it (move my scalp) and keep the rest of my hand away from my hair. :look: -- hard to explain.I just do it in a slow gentle manner so I'm not roughing up my hair.

Perhaps you can try apply the oil and letting it sink in for a minute and then applying a wig cap and then massaging it in. Maybe that won't disturb your braids so much.

Charla

THanks, faithVA ! -- I hadn't thought about that. I could apply my satin bonnet and massage thru that with my comb. I'm going to try it and see how it turns out. Why is growing and retaining so stressful?! Lol!

MzSwift

When I'm tired of wigs I substitute them for headwraps. If I'm tired of the cornrows altogether, I rock mini braids. I still have access to my scalp in those and I can cowash as often as I like cause they look better when they get frizzy.

If you've got growth goals, keep those in mind and see this as par for the course.
GL! :)

naturalmanenyc

Have you thought about crochet braids? I just took mine out last night. With crochet braids you would have access to your scalp between the cornrows and also be able to have a frizz free hairstyle.

I am not sure about using sulfur though. With any braids style, you need to be careful about product build up at the base of the braids.

coolsista-paris

thanks for all your answers, i opened up a post today for the same question.

Imm thinking of seriously taking care of my hair like in the beginning! ive been so bad to it this year that ive got damage! i cut my ends yesterday, gonna get braids this week

Charla

When I'm tired of wigs I substitute them for headwraps. If I'm tired of the cornrows altogether, I rock mini braids. I still have access to my scalp in those and I can cowash as often as I like cause they look better when they get frizzy.

If you've got growth goals, keep those in mind and see this as par for the course.
GL! :)

Thanks, MzSwift

I've never heard of mini braids -- off to YT!
And you speak the truth with the bolded! I guess I better keep that in mind to reach my long hair goals!

Charla

Have you thought about crochet braids? I just took mine out last night. With crochet braids you would have access to your scalp between the cornrows and also be able to have a frizz free hairstyle.

I am not sure about using sulfur though. With any braids style, you need to be careful about product build up at the base of the braids.

naturalmanenyc
Thanks for the info! I'm so uninformed about the different kind of braids. The only ones I'm really familiar with are cornrows, box and invisible.
I'm going to look up the crochet braids.

MzSwift

Mini braids are just small box braids with your own hair. I do them b/c my hair won't stay in twists. I've been rocking them since I had a TWA. They're very low maintenance. I DC and do my ayurveda pastes in them as well. You can also pin them up, ponytail or bun them.

Mini Braids on TWA:

Mini Braids on fro:

Freshly done:

I don't have any pix at my current length though. HTH!