protein treatment

lynette

I relaxed my hair last tuesday with vitale mo body relaxer and yesterday I washed my hair and put aubrey's organic gpb in my hair and now it looks as though my hair revert to it's wavy state. Could it be the treatment I put in my hair and also how long should I wait to do another touch up?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Oh dear. It was quite possibly the GPB. GPB contains Cysteine and Cysteine is the very amino acid that the relaxer chemical breaks in order to straighten our hair.

If your hair is really as if you didn't even relax it, I still suggest waiting at least 6 weeks if not longer.

Lady_Lioness

I just posted a question about that today...the same thing had just happened to me yesterday...well actually today when my hair was air dried completely...it looked as if I had never recieved a touch-up...and I too used a protein conditioner (keraphix) yesterday....it had never happened to me b4...it's weird!!!

Lady_Lioness

Supergirl said:
Oh dear. It was quite possibly the GPB. GPB contains Cysteine and Cysteine is the very amino acid that the relaxer chemical breaks in order to straighten our hair.

If your hair is really as if you didn't even relax it, I still suggest waiting at least 6 weeks if not longer.

So how long should you wait b4 using a protein conditioner?

lovechic

Supergirl said:

Listen to Supergirl! :yep:

Porsche19

Why would protein cuase reversion?

Ok.. relaxer breaks down proteins in the hair.

The porteins in conditioners CAN enter the shaft, I know.

but HOW do the protein line up EXACTLY with the hair on a molecular level and "put" curls back into it permanantly? It doesn't seem possible...

Explanation???

Lady_Lioness

Porsche19 said:

but HOW do the protein line up EXACTLY with the hair on a molecular level and "put" curls back into it permanantly? It doesn't seem possible...

Explanation???

Good question...I would like to know the same thing too...Anyone?

L

lkg4healthyhair

Porsche19 said:

Explanation???

Good question especially since the process is over and the relaxer has already broken down the structure of your hair.

For years I used a protein treatment 1 week before and 4 days after my relaxer. In the past I have even used Emergencee the same day (I'm talking years ago), and I had no problems with reversion.

I was thinking maybe the relaxer did not take therefore your hair reverted with next wash.

Maybe :confused:

Mizani_Mrs

I don't know...but it's true. At least for heavy proteins. The same happened to me a few months back when i used the Aphogee trmnt on my relaxed hair. My hair was like 6wks post and it was still looking pretty straight and then after i applied the aphogee, it was very obvious that it's getting close to touch-up time. My hair instantly got thick and puffy and wasnt behaving as nicely as it was before. I have no idea why i never noticed this before, or why i never put 2 and 2 together. I'm unsure of the answer to you ladies' question, or even why does hard protein sometimes revert our hair and sometimes it doesnt. But i know that it does...at least for me. Which is the reason why i'm going to stay away from Aphogee until a week before I get a touch-up. i'll just stick with using mild proteins as a deep cond.

Lady_Lioness

lkg4healthyhair said:
Good question especially since the process is over and the relaxer has already broken down the structure of your hair.

For years I used a protein treatment 1 week before and 4 days after my relaxer. In the past I have even used Emergencee the same day (I'm talking years ago), and I had no problems with reversion.

I was thinking maybe the relaxer did not take therefore your hair reverted with next wash.

Maybe :confused:

That may be true...maybe it's a little underprocessed?...as i was washing my hair with shampoo...my hair felt really straight...it was just after I used that protein conditioner (which i've done b4 a week after my relaxer) and air dried my hair...that my hair took on a wavy/curly new growth look...Wouldn't it revert as soon as my hair touches water if it was underprocessed?...I don't know i'm confused:confused: about this whole hair thing...thanx girl

Lady_Lioness

Mizani_Mrs said:
I don't know...but it's true. At least for heavy proteins. The same happened to me a few months back when i used the Aphogee trmnt on my relaxed hair. My hair was like 6wks post and it was still looking pretty straight and then after i applied the aphogee, it was very obvious that it's getting close to touch-up time. My hair instantly got thick and puffy and wasnt behaving as nicely as it was before. I have no idea why i never noticed this before, or why i never put 2 and 2 together. I'm unsure of the answer to you ladies' question, or even why does hard protein sometimes revert our hair and sometimes it doesnt. But i know that it does...at least for me. Which is the reason why i'm going to stay away from Aphogee until a week before I get a touch-up. i'll just stick with using mild proteins as a deep cond.

Thanx Mizani, the mild protein (Keraphix) is what caused the problem for me...not the heavy aphogee...I could imagine if i did use the aphogee:eek:

bajanplums1

I heard that protein treatments should not be performed immediately after a relaxer because the relaxer breaks protein bonds to straighten the hair.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Anything containing cysteine amino acids such as GPB or Keratin(cysteine is a component of Keratin) seem to be the problems with relaxer reversion. I do not know if this happens with no-lye relaxers, but in my experience it does happen with lye relaxers.

Though Nexxus Emergencee is a potent treatment, it does not contain cysteine or keratin. It contains collagen if I remember correctly. This may be why some can successfully use it after a relaxer treatment.

When I first started noticing that certain protein treatments used too soon after relaxing seemed linked to reversion, I theorized that adding the very protein back that the relaxer broke down was causing the reversion. I asked my stylist and she confirmed this for me and suggested waiting 2 weeks after relaxing. This time frame has worked well for me.

My theory is that since the relaxer chemical essentially bursts the hair cuticle wide open and makes it very vulnerable, that it can easily accept proteins. Though the proteins from conditioners are not the hair's natural protein, it is known that the amino acid cysteine is responsible for curl in people's hair. The more cysteine, the more curl. (Hence, we aa's have lots of cysteine in our natural hair. The relaxer chemical breaks the cysteine bond and thus straightens our hair.) Anywhoo, if the cuticle is wide open and cysteine is being added right back to the hair moments after a relaxer, I can see how this would cause reversion.

HTH

ETA: Whoops, I meant to say cysteine is a component of keratin, not cysteine is a component of cysteine. :)

Last edited:

Lady_Lioness

Supergirl said:
Anything containing cysteine amino acids such as GPB or Keratin(cysteine is a component of cysteine) seem to be the problems with relaxer reversion. I do not know if this happens with no-lye relaxers, but in my experience it does happen with lye relaxers.

Though Nexxus Emergencee is a potent treatment, it does not contain cysteine or keratin. It contains collagen if I remember correctly. This may be why some can successfully use it after a relaxer treatment.

When I first started noticing that certain protein treatments used too soon after relaxing seemed linked to reversion, I theorized that adding the very protein back that the relaxer broke down was causing the reversion. I asked my stylist and she confirmed this for me and suggested waiting 2 weeks after relaxing. This time frame has worked well for me.

My theory is that since the relaxer chemical essentially bursts the hair cuticle wide open and makes it very vulnerable, that it can easily accept proteins. Though the proteins from conditioners are not the hair's natural protein, it is known that the amino acid cysteine is responsible for curl in people's hair. The more cysteine, the more curl. (Hence, we aa's have lots of cysteine in our natural hair. The relaxer chemical breaks the cysteine bond and thus straightens our hair.) Anywhoo, if the cuticle is wide open and cysteine is being added right back to the hair moments after a relaxer, I can see how this would cause reversion.

HTH

Wow I see...now i understand...thanx alot supergirl for clearing that up...so now I know...the next time I will use a protein conditioner will be 2 wks after my touch-up...thanx i feel alot better now and by the way your hair looks gorgeous!!!

lynette

Oh Thanks for breaking it down supergirl, your the best. I will wait next time and I feel so much better now thanks to all my lovely LHCF Sisters.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

This happened to me too after I get a touch-up whenever I use any form of protein shampoo or conditioner. My hair will feel straight while I am rinsing the relaxer out but as soon as I apply my Salerm protein shampoo and Aphogee reconstructor I feel the waves and curls coming in. I can't explain why it happens though.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Lady_Lioness said:
Wow I see...now i understand...thanx alot supergirl for clearing that up...so now I know...the next time I will use a protein conditioner will be 2 wks after my touch-up...thanx i feel alot better now and by the way your hair looks gorgeous!!!

Thanks--that's very kind of you!

Porsche19

:blush: buuuuuuuut....

How can the cysteine cause total reversion? It's not fused to your hair permanently. It doesn't "become one" with your hair. Your hair is still your relaxed hair with holes in it :lol: with a temporary coating of reconstructor on it.

It's not like you can take a damaged hair, dip it in protein and it'll be like new...

I'm still not convinced... sometimes I hate to go against the grain. :ohwell:

anahnamuslyyours

What about getting a protein treatment before a relaxer? Does that have any effect on whether or not the hair reverts? I normally get a protein treatment 2 wks before my relaxer, and juss regular deep conditions in between time. But I had to cancel my hair appointment to babysit for my sister, and so I'm gonna get some Aphogee and do it at home. Anybody got any suggestions?

miracle

belladionne922 said:
What about getting a protein treatment before a relaxer? Does that have any effect on whether or not the hair reverts? I normally get a protein treatment 2 wks before my relaxer, and juss regular deep conditions in between time. But I had to cancel my hair appointment to babysit for my sister, and so I'm gonna get some Aphogee and do it at home. Anybody got any suggestions?

I've never used a hardcore protein treatment like Aphogee, but I have found that using a protein conditioner (MNT or Lamaur Bone Marrow) a week before my relaxer actually makes my relaxer results smoother (with no reversion afterward).

OT: Is that your vitamin regimen in your siggy? Are you taking 26 vitamin/supplements daily or did I read it all willy-nilly?

anahnamuslyyours

miracle said:
I've never used a hardcore protein treatment like Aphogee, but I have found that using a protein conditioner (MNT or Lamaur Bone Marrow) a week before my relaxer actually makes my relaxer results smoother (with no reversion afterward).

OT: Is that your vitamin regimen in your siggy? Are you taking 26 vitamin/supplements daily or did I read it all willy-nilly?
YEs and no. I was taking that many pills Monday-Friday. However, for the past 4 or five months, I haven't been taking anything at all.

blackbarbie

Glad to see this post!!! How often do you ladies do a protein treatment? I usually do a deep conditioner every week but never do a protein treatment and was in Sally's just the other day and wanted to purchase some, (had Aphogee on sale) but wanted to come to the board to read more about protein treatments. I am 10 weeks post relaxer and will probably go 16 weeks and wanted to do a protein treatment this weekend.

Off topic: Any good suggestions for conditioners to do CW with? Something with a lot of slip. Just used some Dove Conditioner yesterday and even though I use a Detangler by Rusk and a leave in, my hair did not have any slip and was not as detanlged as is should have been. Will start doing them every other day as it gets closer to touch up time.....

carolina_belle

I agree, Supergirl. My stylist told me the same thing. Strong protein will make the hair revert too soon after a relaxer. I had to be a stubborn, though. Keraphix did make my hair revert. Now, I do a strong protein before a relaxer and then wait at least two weeks (2 washes) to add protein back into the mix.

Lady_Lioness

blackbarbie said:
Glad to see this post!!! How often do you ladies do a protein treatment?

I usually would do a strong protein treatment (aphogee) every six weeks or when I feel like I really need it...I would use a mild protein like (Keraphix) every week/every other week and a week b4 my touch-up...I now made the mistake of using it a week after my touch-up and it caused my hair to revert:eek:...Never again... I've learned my lesson!!!:spank: