QTRLY Bible Study: Garments of Grace (2Q, 2011)

JinaRicci

This thread is for anyone interested in studying the Bible. We're using the adult study guides for the Sabbath School Lesson. I tagged some people to help keep this discussion going but everyone is welcome!

This quarter's study is on Garments of Grace: Clothing Imagery in the Bible and the mission project focus is the Euro-Asia Div.

Helpful tools:
ssnet.org (Sabbath School Network; all the lessons, archives, links to other tools)
current lesson (automatic link to the current lesson each week)
iPhone, iPad App
Android App

You can also get a hard copy of the guide at a local Seventh-Day Adventist church. Anything else?

I will post this week's lesson to start us off but anyone should post the lesson at the start of each week so we have that guide for our discussions. If that plan doesn't work, then we can always adjust.

Let's ask questions, discuss & share what we learn as we study. Are you excited?!! This is going to be great!

Lesson 3: A Garment of Innocence

Read for this week's study: 2 Tim 3:16,17; Luke 21:36: Gen 2:20-25; 2:15-17; 3:6-11, 21.

Memory Text: "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them." (Genesis 1:27)

I am thinking about the question asked today: how different was the world untainted by sin? To me, one of the biggest differences was the lack of fear. That had to be really nice. Adam & Eve weren't afraid of the animals, and they in turn were not afraid of humans or each other.

The relationship with God also was innocent and without fear. They were not scared of God punishing them. Do you think if Adam & Eve knew what the far-reaching effects of their sin would be it would have made a difference?

Jenibo

Do you think if Adam & Eve knew what the far-reaching effects of their sin would be it would have de a difference?
Yes I think it would've made all the difference. I think that Adam and Eve couldn't see past the "promise" of becoming like the Most High- and since the world was without sin how could they fully grasp the concept of what it would be and all of the effects that would trickle down from it?

Last edited:

blazingthru

When I think of nakedness, I think of being exposed as if nothing was hidden, So odd with Adam and Eve they were exposed and didn't know it but they had nothing to hide until they committed sin, it was laid open for all to see. I imagine that if they could have had a chance to do it over they would not have venture near the tree. But they were reminded of their sin for almost 1,000.00 years. Can you imagine seeing the garden but never ever entering into again, for now anyway. Its a constant reminder of what they have done, each time they prepared an offering it must have been extremely painful especially for Adam since he named all of the creatures, especially the innocent lamb. That must die in his place. What a drastic difference from the ( I imagine beautiful music of the garden, the pleasure of the Lords council and each other) I don't think any sin we committed can affect us as bad as it affected them. Watching the world turn evil, Then the murder of their son. All of this from one bite

blazingthru

How intimately and closely do you walk with God? As you mull over your answer, ask yourself, What things am I doing that strengthen that intimacy, and what things break it? What choices must you make if you want a closer walk with your Lord?
I know getting closer to God requires spending time with God, I had to admit it was difficult at first, because it felt like talking to air, but as I learned to pray and I studied the character of God and I learn more and more of him the more time I wanted to spend getting to know him. I realize that I need to praise God more, Thanking him often seeing the things he has been doing in my life and other people lives. The more time I spend reading the word the closer I draw to the Lord and it makes it easy for me to move away from other things. Things that use to be my everyday thing. like listening to music if its not Christian or Gospel I don't bothered with it. I even censor what I watch on TV and what sort of conversations I involve myself in.
Numbers 15:39 (New American Standard Bible)

Number 15: 39"It shall be a tassel for you to look at and (A)remember all the commandments of the LORD, so as to do them and not follow after your own heart and your own eyes, after which you played the harlot, I keep the bible with me as a tassel, so I don't fall back into my old sin.
Psalm 101:3 (King James Version)

3 I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me.

JinaRicci

Yes I think it would've made all the difference. I think that Adam and Eve couldn't see past the "promise" of becoming like the Most High- and since the world was without sin how could they fully grasp the concept of what it would be and all of the effects that would trickle down from it?

I agree. For Adam & Eve, they had no idea of what pain & suffering meant or felt like so they had no reference pt. But then if God had showed them, would it have still been free choice?

It's like a little kid who you warn not to touch something because they will get hurt. They question why and if they disobey they quickly learn what pain is and learn to avoid in the future.

This is where blind faith comes in, when you just need to obey without understanding the consequences.

softblackcotton

A church member just told me about ssnet! I am so glad they have an Android App! I have the Youversion Bible App and I use it everyday! It actually reads The Bible to you!

blazingthru

WEDNESDAY April 13

A New Set of Clothes

As we know all too well, Adam and Eve failed their test, even one as simple as that. To call the results tragic would, of course, be the greatest understatement in human history. Tragic hardly conveys the horrible results of our parents’ disobedience.

Read Genesis 3:6–11. What was the first thing that happened to Adam and Eve (which is exactly what Satan in verse 5 said would happen) after they fell, and what does that mean? What did it imply the results of their transgression were? Notes

Their eyes were opened, just as Satan said they would be, only now they were seeing the world and reality differently than they ever had before. All through those verses, the theme of their nakedness reoccurs. It’s the controlling motif in the section. Their fall from innocence, their transgression, and their new relationship to God and to each other are all expressed in the theme of their now knowing that they are naked.

Notice, too, the Lord’s question to them: “Who told you that you were naked?” (vs. 11, NIV). It implies that in their innocence they never realized their nakedness, that it just seemed a natural way to be, and so they didn’t give it any thought. Now, though, not only did they think about it, they were dominated by the shame that it brought.

What is the significance of Adam and Eve’s response to their nakedness?

Imagine Adam and Eve hiding behind some bushes, looking at themselves with mouths agape and attempting to cover themselves before the Lord. Looking at the possibilities for coverings, they must have decided that the fig leaves were the best. Thus, here we have the first lesson in salvation by works, in humans attempting to solve the problem of sin by their own works and deeds. As pathetic as their attempts were then, they are no more so than ours are today.

Last edited:

JinaRicci

WEDNESDAY April 13

A New Set of Clothes

As we know all too well, Adam and Eve failed their test, even one as simple as that. To call the results tragic would, of course, be the greatest understatement in human history. Tragic hardly conveys the horrible results of our parents’ disobedience.

Read Genesis 3:6–11. What was the first thing that happened to Adam and Eve (which is exactly what Satan in verse 5 said would happen) after they fell, and what does that mean? What did it imply the results of their transgression were? Notes

Their eyes were opened, just as Satan said they would be, only now they were seeing the world and reality differently than they ever had before. All through those verses, the theme of their nakedness reoccurs. It’s the controlling motif in the section. Their fall from innocence, their transgression, and their new relationship to God and to each other are all expressed in the theme of their now knowing that they are naked.

Notice, too, the Lord’s question to them: “Who told you that you were naked?” (vs. 11, NIV). It implies that in their innocence they never realized their nakedness, that it just seemed a natural way to be, and so they didn’t give it any thought. Now, though, not only did they think about it, they were dominated by the shame that it brought.

What is the significance of Adam and Eve’s response to their nakedness?

Imagine Adam and Eve hiding behind some bushes, looking at themselves with mouths agape and attempting to cover themselves before the Lord. Looking at the possibilities for coverings, they must have decided that the fig leaves were the best. Thus, here we have the first lesson in salvation by works, in humans attempting to solve the problem of sin by their own works and deeds. As pathetic as their attempts were then, they are no more so than ours are today.

What is so interesting to me is that they were ashamed of their nakedness even between just the two of them.

I love how that was broken down today. Fig leaves and their own attempts to cover up were pointless. Blood had to be shed and God had to be the one who provided the covering. The plan of salvation was in effect!

JinaRicci

*April 16- 22

Lesson 4: The Coat of Different Colors

Read for This Week's Study: Gen. 29:21–30:24; 34; 37; 42:13; 1 Cor. 9:24–26.

Memory Text: “Now Israel loved Joseph more than all his children, because he was the son of his old age: and he made him a coat of many colours” (Genesis 37:3).

tyrablu

I just got my qrtly yesterday (I like the collegiate one). It's the same theme as the adult qrtly, so I'll be joining the discussion very soon.

blazingthru

Genesis 29:21-30:24

21Then Jacob said to Laban, "Give me my wife that I may go in to her, for my time is completed." 22So Laban gathered together all the people of the place and(A) made a feast. 23But in the evening he took his daughter Leah and brought her to Jacob, and he went in to her. 24(Laban gave[a](B) his female servant Zilpah to his daughter Leah to be her servant.) 25And in the morning, behold, it was Leah! And Jacob said to Laban, "What is this you have done to me? Did I not serve with you for Rachel? Why then have you deceived me?" 26Laban said, "It is not so done in our country, to give the younger before the firstborn. 27(C) Complete the week of this one, and we will give you the other also in return for serving me another seven years." 28Jacob did so, and completed her week. Then Laban gave him his daughter Rachel to be his wife. 29(Laban gave(D) his female servant Bilhah to his daughter Rachel to be her servant.) 30So Jacob went in to Rachel also, and he loved Rachel more than Leah, and served Laban(E) for another seven years.
Jacob’s Children
31When the LORD saw that Leah was(F) hated,(G) he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren. 32And Leah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Reuben, for she said, "Because the LORD(H) has looked upon my affliction; for now my husband will love me." 33She conceived again and bore a son, and said, "Because the LORD has heard that I am hated, he has given me this son also." And she called his name Simeon.[c] 34Again she conceived and bore a son, and said, "Now this time my husband will be(I) attached to me, because I have borne him three sons." Therefore his name was called Levi.[d] 35And she conceived again and bore a son, and said, "This time I will praise the LORD." Therefore she called his name(J) Judah.[e] Then she ceased bearing.
Genesis 30

1When Rachel saw that(K) she bore Jacob no children, she envied her sister. She said to Jacob, "Give me children, or I shall die!" 2Jacob’s anger was kindled against Rachel, and he said, "Am I in the place of God,(L) who has withheld from you the fruit of the womb?" 3Then she said, "Here is my servant(M) Bilhah; go in to her, so that she may give birth(N) on my behalf,[f] that even I may have children[g] through her." 4So she gave him her servant Bilhah as a wife, and Jacob went in to her. 5And Bilhah conceived and bore Jacob a son. 6Then Rachel said, "God has(O) judged me, and has also heard my voice and given me a son." Therefore she called his name Dan.[h] 7Rachel’s servant Bilhah conceived again and bore Jacob a second son. 8Then Rachel said, "With mighty wrestlings I have wrestled with my sister and have prevailed." So she called his name(P) Naphtali.[j]

9When Leah saw that she had ceased bearing children, she took her servant Zilpah and(Q) gave her to Jacob as a wife. 10Then Leah’s servant Zilpah bore Jacob a son. 11And Leah said,(R) "Good fortune has come!" so she called his name Gad.[k] 12Leah’s servant Zilpah bore Jacob a second son. 13And Leah said, "Happy am I! For women(S) have called me happy." So she called his name Asher.[l]

14In the days of wheat harvest Reuben went and found(T) mandrakes in the field and brought them to his mother Leah. Then Rachel said to Leah, "Please give me some of your son’s mandrakes." 15But she said to her, "Is it a small matter that you have taken away my husband? Would you take away my son’s mandrakes also?" Rachel said, "Then he may lie with you tonight in exchange for your son’s mandrakes." 16When Jacob came from the field in the evening, Leah went out to meet him and said, "You must come in to me, for I have hired you with my son’s mandrakes." So he lay with her that night. 17And God listened to Leah, and she conceived and bore Jacob a fifth son. 18Leah said, "God has given me my wages because I gave my servant to my husband." So she called his name Issachar.[m]

19And Leah conceived again, and she bore Jacob a sixth son. 20Then Leah said, "God has endowed me with a good endowment; now my husband will honor me, because I have borne him six sons." So she called his name(U) Zebulun.[n] 21Afterward she bore a daughter and called her name Dinah.

22Then God(V) remembered Rachel, and God listened to her and(W) opened her womb. 23She conceived and bore a son and said, "God has taken away(X) my reproach." 24And she called his name Joseph,[o] saying,(Y) "May the LORD add to me another son!"

Footnotes:

1. Genesis 29:24 Or had given; also verse 29
2. Genesis 29:32 Reuben means See, a son
3. Genesis 29:33 Simeon sounds like the Hebrew for heard
4. Genesis 29:34 Levi sounds like the Hebrew for attached
5. Genesis 29:35 Judah sounds like the Hebrew for praise
6. Genesis 30:3 Hebrew on my knees
7. Genesis 30:3 Hebrew be built up, which sounds like the Hebrew for children
8. Genesis 30:6 Dan sounds like the Hebrew for judged
9. Genesis 30:8 Hebrew With wrestlings of God
10. Genesis 30:8 Naphtali sounds like the Hebrew for wrestling
11. Genesis 30:11 Gad sounds like the Hebrew for good fortune
12. Genesis 30:13 Asher sounds like the Hebrew for happy
13. Genesis 30:18 Issachar sounds like the Hebrew for wages, or hire
14. Genesis 30:20 Zebulun sounds like the Hebrew for honor
15. Genesis 30:24 Joseph means May he add, and sounds like the Hebrew for taken away

Genesis 30:34

34Laban said, "Good! Let it be as you have said."

Genesis 30:37

37Then(A) Jacob took fresh sticks of poplar and almond and plane trees, and peeled white streaks in them, exposing the white of the sticks.

Genesis 42:13

13And they said, "We, your servants, are twelve brothers, the sons of one man in the land of Canaan, and behold, the youngest is this day with our father, and one(A) is no more."

1 Corinthians 9:24-26

24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives(A) the prize? So(B) run that you may obtain it. 25Every(C) athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we(D) an imperishable. 26So I do not run aimlessly; I(E) do not box as one(F) beating the air.

blazingthru

My favorite story in all the bible is Joseph, I love many of the stories but Joseph is one I never get tired of reading.
Jacob was a quiet man
He was his mothers favorite, Isaac favorite Esau so we know where he got the favoritism from
He was a liar and a deceiver. But I do not believe he was proud of it.
He loved Rachel, and Joseph was his first born son from the woman he loved.
After all Jacob went through he forgot how jealousy can ruin families, he was concerned about his birthright, hence he tricked Esau to give up his, then he went along with his mother in the blessings. (Rebbecca was told that both of her sons would receive a blessing) I guess she forgot or she wanted to Jacob to get the first portion. I imagine for years Jacob pondered on the decision on having that coat made for Joseph, from the day he wore it he didn't set eyes on his son for many years. having known his mothers favoritism cost her,her son who she never saw again, and that son never saw his mother again either. Wow, I don't think Jacob was blind to the jealousy I just don't' think he thought his sons would do that to their own. Also God was silent regarding the issue at that time. How every interesting.

JinaRicci

I also like how the lesson points out that polygamy makes for a weak foundation of a family. We tend to gloss over this as a cultural practice back then without fully analyzing the consequences. But look at all the problems it caused: favoritism, jealousy, cheating....

The sins of a father unto the 3rd and 4th generation... Isaac was chosen over his older brother and in turn he was cheated out of blessing his first son by his second, who was in turn cheated of his wife. Jacob continued the tradition and created a family with the same foundation. It's one thing to think your father has a favorite that's not you but to have a daily living proof of it in the form of a special coat rubbed into your face everyday would automatically make you feel jealous and inferior.

I am anxious to see how the coat represents a garment of grace. :grin:

tyrablu

When I read the scriptures that went with my lesson this morning, I didn't make the connection until I started to read the actual lesson, and it was like a lightbulb went off. When Abraham sent his servant to find a wife for Isaac. The servant praying and trusting God that it would work out. Jacob having to marry two sisters (he didn't like that deception now did he?).

I totally agree with you JinaRicci . People can talk about men not being "monogamous" by nature, but polygamy never did any good to any of those men now did it?

JinaRicci

Hi everyone, Hope you enjoyed the lesson this week. I am loving this! I see now the symbolism of the coat and the similarities b/w Joseph & Jesus.

Some of them:

1) Both despised because of their relationship with their Father
2) Envied because of their spiritual abilities
3) Sold to the enemy
4) Their garments were both special
5) Coats were the last thing taken from them- evidence of their fate
6) Blood was shed and both garments were covered in blood but with Jesus it was the blood of the Lamb
7) Both had a greater purpose- to save even those who condemned them. Jesus died but He lives!

Enjoy your day- Happy Sabbath!

JinaRicci

*April 23- 29

Lesson 5: The Priestly Garments of Grace

Read for This Week's Study:
Exod. 32:1–6; Lev. 21:7–24; 22:1–8; Exodus 28; Rev. 21:12–14; Heb. 4:14, 15.

Memory Text: “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light”
(1 Peter 2:9).

tyrablu

Reading about the specifics of how God wanted the Priestly garments was interesting.It further proves how we are to be set apart as Christians.

blazingthru

One of the greatest things I learned in the previous lessons is how Joseph and Jesus compare, now forgive me because I am only going from memory and I think I am wrong in one area.
Joseph was sold for 20 pieces of silver, I understand that Jesus was sold/or handed over for 30 pieces of silver but someone said it was 20. sorry I didn't look this one up.
they both had their garments stripped from them.
Joseph with the baker and the cup bearer and Jesus on the cross with the unrepentant thief and the repented thief.

Please chime in, I know we are working on the next lesson, but I think this would be good to reflect on as well, also to add I am reading a novel called JOSEPH, its thick and its so good. I can't wait to get ready for bed so I can read it. I think its a great book to add to your library. Sorry JinaRicci. I meant to come in early in the week but got sidetrack with other stuff. I am excited about the next step in the study.

JinaRicci

@tyrablu and @blazingthru Thanks for sharing!!

Joseph with the baker and the cup bearer and Jesus on the cross with the unrepentant thief and the repented thief.

Oooh, that is so deep. Two different fates- one restored, the other not. You made me go back to read their dreams.

Do you all think there was a significance to the 3 days in both of the dreams? It seems like another similarity- When Jesus died and rose in 3 days He then brought salvation/restoration to the repentant thief. The lesson last week was really good- I think we should keep discussing it too.

blazingthru

@tyrablu and @blazingthru Thanks for sharing!!

Oooh, that is so deep. Two different fates- one restored, the other not. You made me go back to read their dreams.

Do you all think there was a significance to the 3 days in both of the dreams? It seems like another similarity- When Jesus died and rose in 3 days He then brought salvation/restoration to the repentant thief. The lesson last week was really good- I think we should keep discussing it too.

I agree it was a great lesson and yes I hadn't thought about those three days. Isn't God amazing. So amazing. Thank you JinaRicca for posting this lesson it has helped so much. I have to go do some more reading.

blazingthru

The apostasy itself was bad enough, but that Aaron acquiesced in it seems even more incredible. Think about all that Aaron had been privileged with. Aaron was right there with Moses from the start (Exod. 4:27–30); Aaron was Moses’ spokesman before Pharaoh (Exod. 7:1); Aaron cast the rod that became a serpent (vs. 10); Aaron smote the waters that turned to blood (vs. 20); and Aaron was part of a select few who were able to approach the Lord in a very special way (Exod. 24:9, 10). In short, the man had been given privileges that few in history ever had, and yet, when a great test came, he failed miserably.

However, and here’s the amazing thing: God not only forgave Aaron his sin, the Lord eventually allowed Aaron to wear the sacred garments as the covenant nation’s first high priest, a type for the high priestly ministry of Jesus Himself (Heb. 8:1). In other words, though Aaron was guilty of a terrible sin himself, he was also the recipient of God’s redeeming grace, grace so great that it not only forgave him but allowed Aaron to assume a sacred office that, at its core, is all about God’s grace and mercy and forgiveness. Thus, Aaron’s life is a special example of mercy and redemption available to all in Christ.
Have you ever failed, even miserably, to live up to what you have been given? How can you get from Aaron’s example hope for yourself that all is not lost, even despite your mistakes?

blazingthru

on the surface I can't understand why Aaron did all that he did, Maybe he was afraid of the people and what they would do, perhaps he though they would look for him for leadership and to place blame as they did so many times on Moses. I know that I have been blessed with so much and yet I make huge mistakes. Huge and I sit back and I can't understand why I did what I did, but God's grace, Thank God for God's grace and that my heart was still open and God could still use me and save me. I believe that Aaron's heart was still open and he was ashamed of what he did. Its kind of like us when we over come some things and end up falling back into our old habits even though we saw with our own eyes our rescue.

blazingthru

Have you ever failed, even miserably, to live up to what you have been given? How can you get from Aaron’s example hope for yourself that all is not lost, even despite your mistakes?
As a new Christian and I have been a Christian all my life but I don't believe I was a "christian" and I really don't call myself that even now. so let me say as a lost person and now found. I feel that I have been given so much and that I have so much to give back, I was lost for real and grew up in the church and was lost and I sense so many people like me that are desperate to know what the truth is and so I take every advantage to share what I have learned. Every advantage given to me to share why I believe and that sets me apart and makes me perculiar and I don't know at my age, I don't care what people think of me. But rejection hurts, it stings its painful it puts you outside of everything around you. it makes you doubt the truths you have been given. I believe that Aaron really struggle with rejection. Even though he knew the truth, he was fully equiped to stand firm with the people. But he choose not to be set apart from them. I have learned that the world is very difficult to overcome at times, but being on my knees help me see that even though I face rejection and I haven't faced rejection to the point of being abused, but in facing that rejection that I am not alone, That God has promised to be with me even when I close my eyes in death as long as I fight on the Lords side, I won't be alone and I can face it. I can over come. We can overcome if we remain faithful. Even if its just you alone. Like Joseph, who in Egypt didn't know that he served a strange God. El-Shaddia and Jesus was alone until he went to the Cross. So when we make a mistake we ask God to forgive us, Thanking Jesus for the blood, to restore us to right fellowship with him and we keep it moving.

blazingthru

Notice, too, in the texts the idea of the priests bearing various things (Exod. 28:12, 29, 30, 38, 42). This, of course, is a crucial theme in the whole plan of salvation, which the priesthood and sanctuary symbolized: the idea of Jesus, our Substitute, bearing in Himself our sins and taking upon Himself the punishment for them. All of this was foreshadowed through the sanctuary service and the clothing of the priests, filled with symbolism that represented the character and work of Jesus in our behalf.

I can't wait to hear from you guys this is a mystery to me, I am still learning about the garments.
Hebrews 8

The High Priest of a New Covenant

1 Now the main point of what we are saying is this: We do have such a high priest, who sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, 2 and who serves in the sanctuary, the true tabernacle set up by the Lord, not by a mere human being

Last edited:

blazingthru

Exodus 28:15-30 (New American Standard Bible)
15"(A)You shall make a breastpiece of judgment, the work of a skillful workman; like the work of the ephod you shall make it: of gold, of blue and purple and scarlet material and fine twisted linen you shall make it.

16"It shall be square and folded double, a span in length and a span in width.

17"You shall mount on it four rows of stones; the first row shall be a row of ruby, topaz and emerald;

18and the second row a turquoise, a sapphire and a diamond;

19and the third row a jacinth, an agate and an amethyst;

20and the fourth row a beryl and an onyx and a jasper; they shall be set in gold filigree.

21"The stones shall be according to the names of the sons of Israel: twelve, according to their names; they shall be like the engravings of a seal, each (B)according to his name for the twelve tribes.

22"You shall make on the breastpiece chains of twisted cordage work in pure gold.

23"You shall make on the breastpiece two rings of gold, and shall put the two rings on the two ends of the breastpiece.

24"You shall put the two cords of gold on the two rings at the ends of the breastpiece.

25"You shall put the other two ends of the two cords on the two filigree settings, and put them on the shoulder pieces of the ephod, at the front of it.

26"You shall make two rings of gold and shall place them on the two ends of the breastpiece, on the edge of it, which is toward the inner side of the ephod.

27"You shall make two rings of gold and put them on the bottom of the two shoulder pieces of the ephod, on the front of it close to the place where it is joined, above the skillfully woven band of the ephod.

28"They shall bind the breastpiece by its rings to the rings of the ephod with a blue cord, so that it will be on the skillfully woven band of the ephod, and that the breastpiece will not come loose from the ephod.

29"Aaron shall carry the names of the sons of Israel in the breastpiece of judgment over his heart when he enters the holy place, for a memorial before the LORD continually.

30"(C)You shall put in the breastpiece of judgment the [a](D)Urim and the Thummim, and they shall be over Aaron's heart when he goes in before the LORD; and Aaron shall carry the judgment of the sons of Israel over his heart before the LORD continually.

blazingthru

Exodus 28:12

12"You shall put the two stones on the shoulder pieces of the ephod, as stones of memorial for the sons of Israel, and Aaron shall (A)bear their names before the LORD on his two shoulders (B)for a memorial.
Exodus 28:29

29"Aaron shall carry the names of the sons of Israel in the breastpiece of judgment over his heart when he enters the holy place, for a memorial before the LORD continually.

Exodus 28:30

30"(A)You shall put in the breastpiece of judgment the [a](B)Urim and the Thummim, and they shall be over Aaron's heart when he goes in before the LORD; and Aaron shall carry the judgment of the sons of Israel over his heart before the LORD continually.

Exodus 28:38

38"It shall be on Aaron's forehead, and Aaron shall (A)take away the iniquity of the holy things which the sons of Israel consecrate, with regard to all their holy gifts; and it shall always be on his forehead, that (B)they may be accepted before the LORD.

Exodus 28:42

42"You shall make for them (A)linen breeches to cover their bare flesh; they shall reach from the loins even to the thighs.

blazingthru

The name of the book is JOSEPH by Terri L. Tivash. Excellent book, I hated to finish it, I really did it was so good and so many times I had to stop and pray. Really!, I was so blown away by somethings that were happening and I just had to stop and pray as I read the book and Thank God, just thank God for all that he is doing. How he works out things for our good and at the time it doesn't make any sense at all. None, but it all comes together if we trust God and I certainly recommend this book to everyone that wants to draw closer, nothing is like the word nothing but this is an excellent book about Joseph and his character. I am getting ready to start her other books because that is how good she is as a writer, you just can't put it down. you'll find yourself going over the story in the bible again and again.

JinaRicci

LESSON 6 *April 30 - May 6

Elijah’s and Elisha’s Mantle

Read for This Week's Study: 1 Kings 19:1–19; 2 Sam. 10:3, 4; Ezek. 16:15, 16; 1 Kings 21:21–29; 2 Kings 2:1–18.

Memory Text: “For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death” (2 Corinthians 7:10).

Few biblical characters have had a more colorful existence than the prophet Elijah. What an incredible story of faith, of trial, and of God’s overwhelming power in this world.
Today, in Judaism at least, he still looms large. In fact, in Jewish tradition he has been glorified more than perhaps any other biblical figure.

Each Passover, for instance, a special cup of wine is filled and put on the Passover table. During the Passover itself, the door of the house is opened, and everyone stands in order to allow Elijah the prophet to enter and drink. At circumcisions, a chair, “the chair of Elijah,” is set aside as part of the ceremony. Also, as the Sabbath ends, Jews sing about Elijah, hoping he will come “speedily, in our days . . . along with the Messiah, son of David, to redeem us.”

An example of Elijah’s prominence in Jewish thinking is found in the Gospel, when Peter says that some had thought Jesus Himself was Elijah (Matt. 16:14).

This week we’ll look at Elijah and the mantle he wore and see what spiritual lessons we can draw from him and it.

blazingthru

“A Still Small Voice”

Elijah’s life, recorded in first and second Kings, includes instances where he bravely faced kings and their threats on his life. There was, however, one notable exception—the time when, scared by threats from a nasty queen, he ran for his life.

In 1 Kings 18, he called down fire from heaven onto Mount Carmel, had the prophets of Baal slaughtered, and warned Ahab of the approaching rain. The power of the Lord came upon him, and after he tucked his cloak into his belt, he ran ahead of Ahab for the 20 miles to Jezreel.

By the next chapter, however, this same man of God appears in a whole new light.

Read 1 Kings 19:1–4. What lessons can we take from this passage regarding how, no matter what our relationship with God has been, no matter what great triumphs of faith we have experienced, none of us are immune to deep spiritual lows? Notes

I love the story of Elijah, very, very much. I know what its like to feel alone, having no one believe what you believe and struggle to overcome that feeling of loneliness and I believe this is what Elijah felt just overwhelmed that there was no one to take on work that was given to him, no one to share. Or so he thought, Everyone needed something, but no one had anything to give. Now my life cannot compare to the burden that Elijah carried. But God was with him, spoke to him directly. What did Elijah think, he had to take on the world? I guess at times I feel like that. When I find myself alone in a room standing in a corner looking up. I hear that small voice, what are you doing here? Then I regroup and go face the new challenge of the day. God is with us if no one else is. He is our strength, our reliever, our healer our best friend. I like this lesson and intend to complete the entire lesson.