Bible Study: Genesis

hurricane

2 Tim 2:15 (NKJV )
Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I would like to begin a small Bible study beginning in the Book of Genesis Chapters 1 thru 4.

I want to encourage all to read, study, and mediate on his word. Let the Holy Spirit guide you and teach you as we do this together.

hurricane

Chapter 1

In this chapter we have the history of the universe. In the very first chapter it states, In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Many scientist believe in the Big Bang Theory. Which simply means our universe spang into existence. Sprang from what? They do not know. Our Holy Word tells us how everything began and we don't have to guess or suppose.

Verse 3 is the most fascinating verse of this chapter. It says, Then God said, " Let there be light; and there was light,'.

This mysterious light comes into existence before the creation of the sun.

John chapter 1: 1-5 explains it:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

He was in the beginning with God.

All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.

In him was life, and the life was the light of men.

And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

John 8:12 Jesus refers to himself as the light of the world.

varaneka

AUTHOR
Not stated but traditionally attributed to Moses.

DATE
Moses lived around the 1400s BC, but the events of Genesis date to the very beginning of time.

IN TEN WORDS OR LESS

God creates the world and chooses a special people.

DETAILS, PLEASE
The Bible's first book never explains God; it simply assumes His existence: "In the beginning, God..." (1:1). Chapters 1 & 2 describe how God created the universe and everything in it simply by speaking: "God said...and it was so" (1:6-7, 9, 11, 14-15).

Humans, however, received special handling, as "God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life" (2:7), and woman was crafted from a rib of man.

Those first two people, Adam and Eve, live in perfection but ruined paradise by disobeying God at the urging of a "subtil" (crafty, 3:1) serpent. Sin throws humans into a moral freefall as the world's first child--Cain--murders his brother Abel.

People become so bad that God decides to flood the entire planet, saving only the righteous Noah, his family, and an ark (boat) full of animals. After the earth repopulates, God chooses a man named Abram as patriarch of a specially blessed people, later called "Israel" after an alternative name of Abram's grandson Jacob.

Genesis ends with Jacob's son Joseph, by a miraculous chain of events, ruling in Egypt--setting up the events of the following book of Exodus.

QUOTABLE
God said, Let there be light: and there was light. (1:3)

The LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper? (4:9)

Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD. (6:8)

He [Abram] believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness. (15:6)

UNIQUE AND UNUSUAL
Genesis quickly introduces the concept of one God in multiple persons, a concept later called the Trinity: "God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness" (1:26, emphasis added). Also early on, God gives a hint of Jesus' future suffering and victory when He curses the serpent for deceiving Eve: "I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel" (3:15)

SO WHAT?
Genesis answers the great question "Where did I come from?" Knowing the answer can give us meaning in a world that's otherwise hard to figure out.

hurricane

This thread is for anyone who wants to participate. CreoleSugarface, thanks for summing everything up. I see that you are a Bible reader. I hope that this thread will bless every reader. As the goal is for us to learn and put the Word into action in our lives.

varaneka

I get into the Word every morning before I eat breakfast (it's my way of fasting since I take so much medicine...my docs won't let me go w/o eating so as to prevent ulcers and death lol)

I love Bible study. I pray that the Holy Spirit moves on this forum and in our lives, strengthening us to LIVE this Book of Life that we read!!! I pray that we're emboldened to BE REAL about our faith and struggles amongst our peers when it's inconvenient!!!

God bless you and all your families in THE STRONG NAME OF JESUS; amen amen amen.

hurricane

I had to re-post. My first one disappeared. The devil is a lie! I ain't even playing. I rebuke you Satan in the name of Jesus! This happened to me on my first post. Oh, no, no, no.

If anyone wants to discuss chapter 2 feel free. I will begin in chapter 3. Here we have the fall of mankind.

Eve is seduced by the serpent to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. What Eve failed to realize is that she had all of the knowledge that she could have ever needed. All she had to do was ask the Father.

She takes the fruit and shares it with her husband. He does not question it either. Now their innocent eyes become open and they become ashamed of their nakedness. In a vain attempt to cover themselves, they sew fig leaves together to hide their nakeness.

Our Father curses the serpent and gives us a prophetic word, read verse 15:

"And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her seed;
He shall bruise your head,
And you shall bruise his heel."

The seed of the serpent are the children of darkness who practice iniquity ( Look this word up if you do not know ). The seed of the woman comes out of the Tribe of Judah, our beloved Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He did bruise the head of the enemy when he overcame death and the grave.

Our Father's plan was never to leave us in the hands of the enemy. He loves us too much for us to be mistreated by the enemy.

Stay tuned as I will finish this chapter a bit later.

Last edited:

hurricane

As I close out Chapter 3, we learn that the serpent is cursed and the Father gives us a prophetic word of redemption. The woman comes under the Father's judgment. She will bring forth children in pain and sorrow and her desire will be for her husband. And he will rule over her. Verse 16.

The man comes under the Father's judgment in verses 17, 18, 19, he will work all of his life and in the sweat of his face he will eat bread. When all of his toiling is finished he will return to dust from where he came.

Disobedience has a price but praise be to God that he had a plan for our salvation.

In verse 21:

the Lord God made tunics of skin,
and clothed them.

He took away those useless man made fig leaves and clothed them to cover their nakedness. In doing so, he shedded the innocent blood of one of his creations to clothed them. This is the beginning of the sacrificial system, which leads to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

hurricane

Romans 5:12

Therefore, just as through one man, sin entered the world, and death through sin, because all sinned-

In wrapping up chapter 4, we learn that Cain murders his brother Able. He becomes angry because the father did not respect his offering. As I studied this chapter, I noticed that Cain's offering was a grain offering ( no blood ), while Able chose the firstborn of his flock and sacrificed it to the Father ( blood sacrifice ).

In reading Romans 5:12 we learn that the sinful nature manifested itself in Cain, which caused him to shed the innocent blood of his brother. Cain is marked and sent away to a land call Nod, where he and his wife have children.

The children of Cain, multiply down to Lamech who boasts of his sin in killing a man for wounding him. How sad the situation becomes.

In verse 25, the Father gives Adam and Eve a new son. His name is Seth, who is the ancestor of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

PinkPebbles

Romans 5:12

Therefore, just as through one man, sin entered the world, and death through sin, because all sinned-

In wrapping up chapter 4, we learn that Cain murders his brother Able. He becomes angry because the father did not respect his offering. As I studied this chapter, I noticed that Cain's offering was a grain offering ( no blood ), while Able chose the firstborn of his flock and sacrificed it to the Father ( blood sacrifice ).

When I read your post I asked myself what is it that I am willing to sacrifice for the Lord. Most of the time when we are required or desire to sacrifice something unto the Lord it is to help us, protect us, and take us to the next level rather than harm us or keep us away from the things we desire in life.

For example: when we know we need to sacrifice and walk away from an unhealthy and unproductive relationship. The sacrifice is to help and protect us so that we can receive God's best!

topsyturvy86

Chapter 4

I also noticed that Cain gave God out of his produce but Abel gave God the 1st born and the fat ones. Abel gave God his first and best and Cain just gave what he had. It reminds me of an awesome scripture in 2 Samuel 24: 22 - 24 when Araunah gave King David Oxen and a couple of other things to sacrifice to God and David refused to take it from him but insisted on paying a price, saying he would never offer anything to God that cost him nothing. Powerful! (This is he attitude i'm trying to cultivate.)

Abels offering also reflected His faith in God and this pleased God. Hebrews 11:4.

hurricane

Hello Bible scholars, lets move on to Chapters 5 thru 10 if you had not begun already. I will post later. I am working this weekend. Our Father is good, he is awesome, fantastic, and worthy to be praised. I love reading his word. You learn so much about him and yourself. This is where relationship building starts.

I will only post as the Holy Spirit leads me and guides me. Take care and continue to share what you have learned from his Holy Word.

betteron2day

I get into the Word every morning before I eat breakfast (it's my way of fasting since I take so much medicine...my docs won't let me go w/o eating so as to prevent ulcers and death lol)

I love Bible study. I pray that the Holy Spirit moves on this forum and in our lives, strengthening us to LIVE this Book of Life that we read!!! I pray that we're emboldened to BE REAL about our faith and struggles amongst our peers when it's inconvenient!!!

God bless you and all your families in THE STRONG NAME OF JESUS; amen amen amen.

Amen and Thank You.

hurricane

Some housekeeping guidelines: For a successful Bible study I would recommend a Bible, Concordance, Biblical dictionary, and commentary. These tools will help you in understanding our Father's word.

As I read through these Chapters, what stuck out was the Covenant that God made with Noah. The definition of a covenant is an agreement between two people or two groups that involves promises on the part of each to the other.

In Genesis chapter 8:20 through 9:27, the Father promised Noah that he would not curse the ground or destroy the entire earth with a flood. He gave us the rainbow as a sign of his pledge. Capital punishment was established, whoever sheds man's blood his blood would also be shed. We have seed time and harvest time, the changing of the seasons, the re-population of the earth, and for man to re-affirm his dominion. Before man was on a vegatarain diet, now meat was added to his diet.

As we look over time, this covenant or agreement is still in existence today. Re-affirmating the scripture that God is not a man that He should lie or the son of man that He should repent,has he not said and will he not do? Or has he spoken, and will He not make it good?
Numbers 23:19

hurricane

Wrapping up chapter 9:

After the ark rested on Mount Arart, guess what. Noah planted himself a vinyard and drank too much. He fell asleep and Ham saw his nakedness. He told his brothers and they walked in backwards, as to not look upon their father and covered him. The Bible does not explain what happens. But when Noah woke up he knew what his younger son had done: Chapter 9:25-27

Then he said:
Cursed be Canaan;
A servant of servants
He shall be to his brethern."

And he said;
Blessed be the Lord,
The God of Shem,
And Canaan be his servant.
May God enlarge Japheth,
And may he dwell in the tents of Shem;
And may Canaan be his servant."

Study Chapter 10 carefully. This is the genology of the nations, which I find very interesting. If there are no protest lest study chapters 10-15. Will touch on chapter 10 later.

hurricane

Genesis Chapter 10:1-5

Now this is the genology of the sons of Noah: Shem, Ham, and Japeth. And sons were born to them after the flood.

The sons of Japheth were Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshech, and Tiras.

The sons of Gomer were Ashkenaz, Riphath, and Togarmah.

The sons of Javan were Elishah, Tarshish, Kittim, and Dodanium.

From these the coastland peoples of the Gentiles were separated into their lands, everyone according to his language, according to their families, into their nations.

If I am reading this correctly the above people are knows as gentiles. Remember that we are reading about ancient civilizations, when looking at the genology of the nations.

Check out the next thread.

hurricane

The sons of Japheth:

1. Gomer- ( ashkenaz, riphath, togarmah ) German, celtic
peoples

2. Magog- scythians ( iranian people/aryan ), slavs, russians,
bulgarians, bohemians, poles, slovaks, croatians

3. Madai- indian, medes, persians, afghans, kurds

4. Javan- ( Elishah, Tarshish, Kittim, Dodanim ) Greek/Macedonian/
Romans/French/Italian/Spanish/Portugese peoples

5. Tubal- ( peoples south of the black sea )

6. Meshech- Russian peoples

7. Tiras- Thracians, Teutons, scandinavians, anglo-saxon, jutes
peoples.

I know understand why the devil tried to keep us from reading.

This is not racially intended. Those who accept Christ will enter into his kingdom. Black, white, indian, jew and gentile. But this will help you understand this thing called "mystery babylon and the world system "

Stay tunned Ham is next.

hurricane

Genesis Chapter 10:6-20

The sons of Ham were Cush, Mizraim, Put, and Caanan,

Verse 8

Cush begot Nimrod; he began to be a mighty one on the earth.

Verse 10 and 11

And the beginning of his kingdom was babel, Erech, Accad, and Caineh in the land of shinar.
From that land he went to Assyria and built Ninevah, Rehoboth, Ir, Calah, in the land of Shinar.

In this chapter I want to encourage you all to look up these regions and do your own research. Some of theses ancient cities exsist today under different names and you would be amazed.

Read next thread.

hurricane

The sons of Ham:

1. Cush: Ethiopia

2. Mizraim: Egypt

3. Put: Libya

4. Caanan

Genesis Chapter 11:1- 9

In Chapter 9 Noah curses Caanan and not Ham which many of us were led to believe. As you continue with your Bible reading, the Father instructs his children to go to the land of milk and honey, which is Caanan, where the land is taken away from the canaanites and divided among the 12 tribes of Israel.

Nimrod was the son of Cush and he became mighty upon the earth. So mighty that he declared himself king over the people and instructed them to build a tower that would reach heaven. The Father was not pleased. He instructed Noah to be fruitful and multiple and to re-populate the earth.

Nimrod built this tower in the land of shinar and the Father sent confusion on the people and they seperated into the same language groups and re-populated the land.

This is called the tower of babel, which means confusion and the land where this tower is built is later called Babylon, which is in modern day Iraq.

See next thread

hurricane

Nimrod became the first earthly anti-christ. This is where mystery Babylon came from. The world system. Where earthly kings in ancient times declared to themselves and the people that they where god.

This was a shadow of things to come.

Shem is next!!!! Stay tuned!!

hurricane

Genesis chapter 10:22-32

Verse 22:
The sons of Shem were Elam, Asshur, Arphaxad, Lud and Aram.

Elam: original inhabitants of southwest Iran and Arabia

Asshur: original inhabitants of Assyria

Arphaxad: Akkadians original inhabitants of Iraq

Lud: original inhabitants of Turkey

Aram: the original inhabitants of Armenia, Mesopotamia, Syria

These are the semites or descendents of Shem. The most famous semite of all is Arphaxad. From him comes Abraham, who becomes the father of many nations.

Did you know that Shem means " name, renown ".

We are called by His name as believers. This is mind blowing.

If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

2 Chronicles 7:14

hurricane

Okay Bible scholars, not quite ready to move beyond chapter 15 just yet. Abraham is a very important figure in the Bible and I don't want to skip over anything.

Stay tunned. Still researching the land of Shinar, which included UR and the other cities that Nimrod had built.