Question about Clarifying

steph

I just wanted to know is it necessary to shampoo too after clarifying. I have been just clarifying with baking soda, and then conditioning. My hair has never felt cleaner and healthier since i have been doing this. Btw, I just notice that many ladies routine includes shampooing too. Do you feel that your hair is stripped after shampoo or is this an extra benefit that i am missing out on.

soulchild

Steph, it seems to be working for you so keep doing it.

I know when I do the water/baking soda clarifying (haven't done this in awhile, thanks for reminding me) my hair feels really clean too. A lot less striped feeling than shampoo. I got the idea from Motowngrl's site. She talks alot about it. I now use shampoo every once in a while, Creme of Nature.

The recipe I use is 1 tbsp baking soda to 1 cup of warm water.

Now, about using a moisturizing shampoo after clarifying, I've never felt the need to do that. Maybe someone else can answer that question.

OnceUponAtime

Great topic, because baking soda rinses are my staple. The softness and managability I get is so nice. Also, I use baggie technique (Adrienne's
)about every other day or two, so I started using the baking soda to rinse out the extra product and I still can't believe how clean it gets with one rinse.

I use about 2-3 tbls baking soda in a 32oz cup.

During the summer I rinsed daily followed by a conditioning rinse, then shampoo only twice a week as I thought was needed. For the cooler weather, I baking soda rinse every other day and shampoo once a week with a moistuizing shampoo. Usually a nickle sized amount of Nexxus Therappe or Botanoil. I don't notice any stripping when I combine the soda rinse with the shampoo. It's always clean and soft and Nexxus shampoo always leaves my hair in a little better condition.

If my hair is feeling a little dry, I add a little oil to the shampoo. That was a little trick taught to me by a hairdresser I once knew. She explained that Nexxus shampoos were designed not to strip the oils from the hair so adding extra if your hair is dry gave the moisturizing a boost. That tip hasn't failed my yet although I don't have much of a need to do that, now that I wash more frequently.

Sorry for the long post.
I can't get to sleep

jrw

I never use another shampoo after clarifying. I have also added baking soda to my regular shampoo instead of buying a clarifying shampoo. Works just as great.