Big Difference with Clarifying Shampoos

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
The Pantene and Suave clarifying shampoos give me the results I desire much better than Kenra and Elucence clarifying shampoos. The Suave and Pantene are very stripping, but my hair feels so much better after I use one of these and then go on with my normal shampoo and conditioning routine. :up:

Last edited:

Allandra

I love Suave Professionals Clarifying Shampoo. It gets my hair squeaky clean (love squeaky clean hair).

HoneyDew

You know, I've heard this from other people.

I use Kenra because it is chelating. I think the suave has chelating ingedients in it, but for some reason, it does not prevent the effects of my haird water. :perplexed :confused:

But, you are right the kenra clarifying really needs several lathers to REALLY get ALL the gunk out.

But, since I use it twice a week, I think it helps prevent build up and the effects of my water over time.

HoneyDew

Allandra said:
I love Suave Professionals Clarifying Shampoo. It gets my hair squeaky clean (love squeaky clean hair).

I have never tried this one, only the regular one and it STRIPPED my hair dry. I wonder how well this one works. Those 1/2 gallons of Kenra Clarifying are getting expensive. :)

MizAvalon

I'm not a big fan of drugstore products, but I do like Pantene's clarifying shampoo. It is pretty stripping, but I only use it 3 or 4 times a year.

MizaniMami

Yep! I notice the same. I use my Aveda Detox as a weekly clarifier. This doesn't completely strip my hair, just take care of the gunk!

Not for that funky Gunk I use V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze. That does the job right there:D !

IMO there is nothing wrong with fresh clean hair. I love to "start over" from using clarifying poos!

MizaniMami

Supergirl said:
The Pantene and Suave clarifying shampoos give me the results I desire much better than Kenra and Elucence clarifying shampoos. The Suave and Pantene are very stripping, but my hair feel so much better after I use one of these and then go on with my normal shampoo and conditioning routine. :up:

Supergirl, how often do you use clarifying poos?

ONAMSHN

So how does "stripped" hair suppose to feel??? I threw away some Suave clarifying poo because it made my hair feel quite dry :(. And what do you ladies use after clarifying to get your hair back to normal?

ONAMSHN said:
So how does "stripped" hair suppose to feel??? I threw away some Suave clarifying poo because it made my hair feel quite dry :(. And what do you ladies use after clarifying to get your hair back to normal?

I use a good moisturizing shampoo like KeraCare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo. My hair always feels better after using this.

dominirican

I used Pantene Pro-v Clarifying shampoo for the first time last wash. I am quite happy with the results. I'm a little confused of how to incorporate it into my regimen. I shampooed twice with the clarifier than shampooed once with garlic sham. (extreme heat shedding) Did I over shampoo or was this okay?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
MizaniMami said:
Supergirl, how often do you use clarifying poos?

no set time, just when I feel it's necessary (rough dry hair that won't get moist, stiff hair, usual conditioner not as effective or a conditioner that normally detangles won't detangle--sometimes I won't know 'til after I've conditioned that I need to clarify then I kind of have to start over)

crlsweetie912

Supergirl said:
no set time, just when I feel it's necessary (rough dry hair that won't get moist, stiff hair, usual conditioner not as effective or a conditioner that normally detangles won't detangle--sometimes I won't know 'til after I've conditioned that I need to clarify then I kind of have to start over)

ITA I thought that I was alone in this.

HoneyDew

crlsweetie912 said:
ITA I thought that I was alone in this.

I am like that, too. That is why using it regularly prevents all that. I use a gentle one that does not strip and I use it on a regular basis. I just don't have time to start over!!

MizaniMami

HoneyDew said:
I am like that, too. That is why using it regularly prevents all that. I use a gentle one that does not strip and I use it on a regular basis. I just don't have time to start over!!

Me too! I feel exactly like you.

Once I have buildup there is breakage. No in between with my hair. I don't even give my hair the chance to buildup. So I clarify to cut the middle man out.

You use Kenra clarifying right HoneyDew?

Does it lather good on the first lather?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
ONAMSHN said:

Stripped hair feels "squeaky" clean. This is really what you want if your purpose is to clarify your hair. Follow the clarifying shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo and then conditioner of your choice.

Sistaslick

ITA on the Pantene clarifying shampoo. :yep: That stuff is great! One lathering gets the job DONE. Its about the strongest one I've used yet. For heavy duty jobs, Pantene is it! I find that I rarely need it though. I've had the same bottle of Pantene purity for 2 years and haven't gotten past the halfway point yet. It is POTENT! :lol:

I also have the Kenra clarifying poo, and since it's much, much easier on the hair than the Pantene (and chelating as a bonus), I use it more regularly for easy jobs. I think the Pantene also contains some chelating agents, though I'm not sure if they are in the formula as actual mineral deposit lifters or as preservatives. As strong as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if it lifted mineral deposits too :lol:

hmmm . . . now that I'm thinking about it, I might have a little trist with my Pantene this evening . . . :scratchch

HoneyDew

MizaniMami said:
Me too! I feel exactly like you.

Once I have buildup there is breakage. No in between with my hair. I don't even give my hair the chance to buildup. So I clarify to cut the middle man out.

You use Kenra clarifying right HoneyDew?

Does it lather good on the first lather?

Yeah that's the one I use and LOVE. I buy 1/2 gallons of it girl!

It sometimes does not lather a lot the 1st time, especially if I have a lot of gunk on there. But that is normally when I have tried some product that just coated my hair.

For regular use I just lather once and then use my normal moisturizing one.

RainbowCurls

I thougt all clarifying shampoos were created equal until recently, when I tried a new one, and it only took one lather to get my hair squeaky clean. I'll be sticking with this one. I've forgotten the name of it though.

WomanlyCharm

Hmmm...I've been using the CON Clarifying shampoo...I thought it worked pretty well, but it usually takes two lathers to get my hair clean, and I don't use that much product on it. Maybe I need to try the Suave or Pantene.

sareca

I use Sally's brand of hard water conditioner every third wash. I usually have to leave it on for about 20 minutes so decided to try the poo. I'm hoping to cut out the wait time. I agree w/ whoever said they don't give hard water a chance to affect their hair. Nip it in the bud.

Dare~to~Dream

I like Sauve Clarifying shampoo too...I'm currently using the one from Elucence and I have to say the latter leaves my hair less "stripped"....but now I'm wondering if it is getting it "squeaky clean" :look:...I mean I don't do the "squeak" test ...I do follow up with another shampoo and I use it every two weeks like clockwork.