question about JCPenneys salons and other retailers

Mizani_Mrs

For those of you who get your hair done at JC Penneys or other retailer salons, Can you tell me of any pluses or minuses to going there? for instance, do they keep their appointment times? or do you have to wait just as long, like a beauty salon? Is it cheaper? do you feel like they consult/talk to you to get ideas of what u want? I used to go to a salon and now i am thinking of going to maybe penneys or belks or something like that to get a relaxer and trim every now 'n then.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
At JC Penney, the stylists are not allowed to overbook so you will more than likely get in and out in a reasonable amount of time. They may start on you alittle later (or earlier) than your actual appointment time, but it's not nearly as bad as when independent stylists book 4 people within the same hour!

scoobygirl

I have my first appointment there (at Penney's) with my new stylist on Thursday for a touch up. She was recommended by the lady who does my pedicures. I have seen her for a first consultation and I have a second one with her on Wednesday to make sure where on the same page. So far I really like her. She's very professional, emphasizes hair health over style, listens to my problems and suggestions, and is up to date on her training. Also a plus for me is that JCPenney salons use many of the same products I use at home. I'll let you know Thurday how the visit goes.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
My stylist actually knows a difference between a cut and a trim! Plus she relatively gets me out in time. The down side is that it can be somewhat pricy (from a college student perspective). In all, I am satisfied (I am refering to JC Penney salon).

crazyabouthair

I go to JCPenny's and I like it. I'm out within 2 - 3 hours. No overbooking and my stylist knows her stuff. Down here they charge sixty dollars for a retouch but they do a good job.

My mother recently tried the salon at JC Penney and she loved it! She did a great job on my mother's hair (she got a wash, wrap and trim). Compared to our former stylist, the new one was very friendly and got my mother out of the salon in about 1 1/2 hours. This is great compared to our old stylist who would keep us in the salon for over 4 hours for the same type of service. Needless to say, we wont be going back to the old one.

Rezgirl

When I was little (13 yrs or so) and first got a relaxer, my mom took me to Penny's. It was all good until this stylist, who was not a woman of color, did my relaxer and left some in my hair! We got home and there was this big patch of clumped hair which still had relaxer on it! It scabbed over, we couldn't brush it, wash it, nothing - it was like a big matte ball! At the time, my hair was almost waist length so it was a big deal - needless to say there were lots of tears, etc. Searching for a stylist is so hard! Since becoming an adult, I had to search around and I've now remained with the same stylist for almost 5 years! The only other person to touch my hair is her salon partner, who does hair identically. I mean, I have FOLLOWED this person - town to town, shop to shop, just because of her skills! I've also found that if the stylist has healthy hair, they can usually accomplish the same for mine. Hair health is so much more important than styling to me, so I'm happy with a phat wash and set, then just go home and style it myself! Good luck and remember - once you find the right match, stick with it!

Mizani_Mrs

Thank u so much for the feedback. it sounds like Penneys has got it going on! I also just called the national chain called 'Hair Cuttery' and they do Mizani relaxers for $48 - $58 depending on length and they carry mizani products. so i i am not sure if that is the only afro-amer product they carry. they also do roller-sets. I spoke to an african-amer male so i will ask him to be my stylist!! AND guess what??? NO APPOINTMENTS!!! Yay! So i will give them a try and i will be sure to voice all my concerns beforehand. I'll also check out penneys.
I'm excited! I'm getting a touch-up this friday, after my first 10.5wk stretch! i can't wait. :lachen:

sugaplum

Star Shooter
My friend has a friend that works as a hairstylis in the JC Penny Salon and she said that she makes great money working there. :)

I always wanted to go but I never went becuase I didn't see any sistas working there.

My stylist is at a Regis/Hair Plus Salon in a mall and I love it! Appointments are available seven days a week and in the evenings ... Appointments are booked on the computer and they never overbook... and the best part is... once a month they run a sale on a certain service or products. they use mizani and affirm/kerakare products. Relaxers are $40 on sale and $55-60 regular price.

caress

I recently tried a Trade Secret salon. This salon was extremely professional. I posted about it in my journal so I just cut and paste it here:

"So, I visited Trade Secret today for the second time this year. The first time, I got a touch-up and trim. That lady was very friendly and did a good job of asking about my hair's history and letting me know what she was going to do. She even knew the difference between a trim and a cut. However, she moved slowly when appying the relaxer and underprocessed my hair. Then, it seemed like she was having a hard time rinsing the relaxer out. No burns though!! Lastly, she used a flatiron and Matrix Sleek.look Iron Smoother to straighten my roots. Because the Iron Smoother is a liquid based product, I could feel the steam on my scalp and it burned a bit. Still, l I felt like I could probably work with her because she seemed conscientous and communicated with me very well.

I had planned on going back to her to give her one more chance but another hairdresser was there today. She asked me about my hair's history as well. She, too, knew the difference between a cut and a trim. She moved fairly quickly through my hair as she gave me a touch-up. There was a bit of tingling near the end but no burns. My roots straightened very well. Thing is, I have some underprocessed sections of hair from before my dealings with Trade Secret. So you have to be careful when combing m hair. She wasn't as gentle with my hair as I would have liked but she was ok. She, then, put me under the dryer to "pre-dry".

During this time, she finished up with her previous client. Then she blew the rest of my hair dry with a blowdryer and also straightened it further. Then, she gave me a trim. She noticed a section in the back of my head that was experiencing breakage and asked me if I wanted to even up the rest of my hair, which was longer, with this section. I told her no so she just trimmed it all. Then, she took a curling iron and turned my ends under. She was better than the last hairdresser and I think I'll go back to her again. Since she was unfamiliar with my hair, I figure, she can only get better as she gets to know me and my hair."

I forgot to write that she (the latest hairdresser) asked her previous client if it was ok if she relaxed my hair while her (client) hair dried. Anyway, I'd say give this type of salon a try.

Jewell

I have gone to a couple appointments at a JC Penney Salon, and I loved it. I got right in the chair on time, and I loved the fact that I could do a walk-in if necessary. Plus, they're open on Sundays and Mondays, which most privately owned salons aren't. I hated having to wait until Tuesday to get an appointment with my previous stylist at a private salon, and having to compete with other clients for appointments during the week because she never worked Saturdays. I have opted to no longer go to salons, though.

Mestiza

I've gone to a few different Hair Cuttery salons, in the past. With the exception of one hairstylist, they were pretty good.