Question About Self Relaxing

Chrissmiss

I want to learn how to self-relax my hair for various reasons. Top two reasons being price and control. I have a wonderful stylist but a touch up is $75, also a good stylist is hard to find so if I move rf if she moves I will be in quite a funk.

So the one question I really have is when you relax the back half of your hair (using the half/half method)... where do you rinse your hair out? When doing the front washing out in the sink would be easy. Would you rinse out in the shower? If so would this cause any damage to the skin on your body... I'm thinking it would be ok because we keep it on our scalp for a good while and it would only be on the skin for a short time then we would rinse quickly and clean the skin. So lady's what do you think?

I'm going to practice a couple times with conditioner and then the first time I'll have my mom around to help just in case.

KinkyGenius

I always wondered the same thing when it came to rinsing out relaxer in the shower.

Hopefully someone will chime in.

baddison

natural for good
I am now using Kami11213's half-and-half relaxer method. First the left side, then the right side.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kami11213#p/u/14/kMjrIeJsbXM

I have a really long shower head, so I simply sit on the edge of my bathtub, and bring the shower nozzle right to my head to rinse out the relaxer over the tub. When one side is done, I put it up and do the same to the other side.

MonPetite

When I relaxed, I did the front first, rinsed in the sink. Then I did the back...and then rinsed in the sink (I left neutralizing shampoo in, in the meantime, in the front). I had no problems. Just silky hair. YAY!

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I would never rinse a relaxer out in the shower. I don't want that relaxer running down my body trying to creep into certain places (if you know what I mean ) :blush:

I rinse my whole head over the kitchen sink and it helps that the spray nozzle is removeable if necessary. If not the sink I would have to hang my head in the tub using the shower nozzle.

prospurr4

I don't do the half 'n' half method, but I came it to say that I never rinse the relaxer out in the shower. I use the kitchen sink because I don't want the creme running along "sensitive" areas, and I just feel like I rinse more thoroughly. One drawback is that my hair is flipped upsidedown, which encourages tangling. So after I finish rinsing in the sink, I rinse more in the shower, mainly so that the water can get my hair going in the down-my-back direction with minimal tangling.