Question about Texlaxed Hair

Niyah

I have a quick question to ask you guys.

I texlaxed my hair about 3 weeks ago. Prior to that, I had been natural for awhile and am not really sure about how much heat I can apply - if any - to my hair.

Is it okay to press my hair after I wash it? I want to have a straight look every now and then.

Please advise.

BTW, I have done a search on previous threads about texlaxed hair and really couldn't get a clear answer. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I have another question. The stylist used Vitale to texlax my hair. Would it be safe to switch to Affirm when it is time for me to do a touch-up?

Thanks....

LunadeMiel

I think you should consider flatironing instead of pressing your hair. Since your curls are relaxed already you may be able to get them relaxer straight with a flat iron..

lana

You should be able to get your hair relaxer straight without a pressing comb. You just need a good ceramic flat iron and make sure and use enough heat protectant. There is no reason you can't straighten your hair yourself. The pressing comb needs to be wielded with skill, those teeth can tear at your hair over time and the heat can't always be regulated like with a flat iron.

The key to getting really straight hair is proper detangling and having your hair ready for flat ironing with your drying method.

Also consider using straightening products like Redken Smooth down to wash, condition, and protect your hair from heat with a serum.

I'm texlaxed, and I straighten my hair with a Sedu flat iron on wash day.

In answer to your second question, is Vitale no-lye? Is Affirm no-lye? I don't know, just check google, but if they are both no-lye then you should have no problem switching to Affirm. But I would seriously consider allowing a "stretch" just to make sure you don't overlap relaxer onto already relaxed hair. Best wishes!

xxCami

I have a quick question to ask you guys.

I texlaxed my hair about 3 weeks ago. Prior to that, I had been natural for awhile and am not really sure about how much heat I can apply - if any - to my hair.

Is it okay to press my hair after I wash it? I want to have a straight look every now and then.

Please advise.

BTW, I have done a search on previous threads about texlaxed hair and really couldn't get a clear answer. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I have another question. The stylist used Vitale to texlax my hair. Would it be safe to switch to Affirm when it is time for me to do a touch-up?

Thanks....

Wow, beauticians know about texlaxing, I would like to tex lax.. but do i have to have a curly texture for that?

Niyah

You guys are awesome. Thank you so much for the advice. I do have a flat iron and will use it instead - with a heat protectant.

And, xxCami, that stylist was back in my hometown - LA. You know if I were still out there, I'd be going to her all the time. Not only did she encourage me to texlax my hair, she discouraged me from clipping my ends when I was sitting in her chair. I have NEVER had a stylist tell me she prefers not to cut to much because she didn't think it made sense to do that if someone wanted to achieve length.

Most of the time you have to talk those shears out of their hands.

prospurr4

I'm texlaxed and haven't used direct heat in years. To straighten, I just do a rollerset on gray (2") rollers.

After removing rollers, you could also follow up with a silk wrap or just flat iron the roots. I haven't done either of these, but there are ladies here who have....with beautiful results!

Last edited: