Question for all self relaxers

CheerBear

Which brand(s) of no lye relaxers have you found to be the least drying and damaging?
Which lye based relaxers are safest to use at home?
By the way, I'm a 4b,with extra thick *natural* hair so I need something that will straighten effectively.

kjames001

Hi there. I currently use Gentle Treatment No Lye. However, since being amember I have read that no lyes are drying no matter which ones u use so I am considering using a lye with my next relaxer.

aqualung

[ QUOTE ]
CheerBear said:
Which lye based relaxers are safest to use at home?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tracy and I both UNDERprocessed with PCJ lye. Maybe it's a little too mild? I'm going to try it again in a couple months, but combing through the new growth and leaving it in for 15-17 minutes.

jainygirl

i use Revlon Realistic Professional (lye) Regular relaxer and it works really well for me
i've been using it for about 5 years now.

ladieluv

I was also going to suggent a *lye* relaxer. I am also natural, but from what I read and researched, lye relaxers seem better for the hair.

localhost

I also use Revlon Realistic Lye in Regular and it's pretty good. *Supposedly*, it has a lower amount of sodium hydroxide (lye) than the other lye relaxers, making it less damaging.

CheerBear

Ok for clarification, my hair isn't really natural, i meant that my new growth is really
thick and coarse, sorry about that! I've been using no lyes and am interested in switching to lye but I dont know if
I'll always be able to obtain it. Also, I remember about 3 years ago when i first came to college and starting using the no
lye kit relaxers after going to the salon and having it done always, I was looking like the bald head scatter rat they talked
about in the "Chickenhead" song.

iencyst

Hi ya'll, I've been reading this board and partaking of the many wonderful tips for a while now, thanks.
Anyway, in answer to the perm question, I've been using Dark and Lovely No Lye and only that since my very first perm 17 years ago. I've always had healthy hair I've never really had any problems with dryness the only damage I saw as a result of the perm was when my mother beat my behind for sneaking off and putting a perm in my hair in the first place but my hair was fine.

Karonica

Aside from the Profectiv no-lye (I tried this one recently on mother's hair), I can always depend on Pink Lotion's no-lye.

bunita

I use the soft & Beautiful botanicals and it do a very good job. I didn't burn and my hair comes very nice. This relaxer is a no lye relaxer. I 've also a lot of hair and I am 4b so I relax in sections

diamond_nh

[ QUOTE ]
iencyst said:
Hi ya'll, I've been reading this board and partaking of the many wonderful tips for a while now, thanks.
Anyway, in answer to the perm question, I've been using Dark and Lovely No Lye and only that since my very first perm 17 years ago. I've always had healthy hair I've never really had any problems with dryness the only damage I saw as a result of the perm was when my mother beat my behind for sneaking off and putting a perm in my hair in the first place but my hair was fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use Dark & Lovely too.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
When I was using no lye, I used Gentle Treatment or Soft & Beautiful (not the botanical..they didn't have that then). I didn't realize how dry, dry, my hair was until I switched to lye. It's been several years and whenever I've used no lye since switching, I can tell the difference in dryness. I have been using Revlon Realistic lye for a while. First Regular strength, then Mild.

chicamorena

Mariah, I use creme of nature lye relaxer. It works really well on my hair. I don't burn at all, it doesn't relax my hair too straight either, and doesn't dry my hair out. But I don't know if it's the same as the no-lye one. I've never used a no-lye relaxer, so I wouldn't know.

Crystena77

I just relaxed my hair and would highly recommend the ORS Olive Oil No-Lye relaxer. That has been the least drying so far and my hair felt like silk after using it. The olive oil factor I think placed this one above the others...

JMHO.
HTH

UmSumayyah

I used African Pride No-lye. It always left my hair very shiny. Lye relaxers did not work for me (I too tried the switch after reading about how evil they are
) so if I decide to keep relaxing that is the one I will be using.