Question for C&G girls in hard water areas

sareca

I'm doing Crown and Glory and whenever my hair is braided it seems to be insulated from the hard water. It's always soft when I take them out even tho I've been washing just as often and NOT using a clarifier. Has anyone else noticed braids helping protect hair from hard water?

HoneyDew

I think so.

I used to wear braids all the time and I NEVER had the problems I am having now with my hard water situation.

But, that goes on to prove even more how protecting braids really can be for our hair.

sareca

HoneyDew said:
I think so.

I used to wear braids all the time and I NEVER had the problems I am having now with my hard water situation.

But, that goes on to prove even more how protecting braids really can be for our hair.

I can actually feel my hair getting harder and harder with every post-braids wash. :( After 3 washes or so I clarify (w/ a hard water conditioner) and the cycle starts again.

renae226

I THINK BRAIDS DO PROTECT THE HAIR SHAFT FROM HARD WATER. I AM CURRENTLY ON THE CROWN AND GLORY CHALLENGE. HOW OFTEN DO YOU WAS YOUR HAIR WHEN YOUR HAIR IS IN INDIVIDUAL BRAIDS?:perplexed I'M WASHING MY HAIR ONCE A WEEK, AND ON FRIDAY I TOOK NE OUT BCAUSE IT HAD SLIPPED SO FAR DOWN. AND THERE WAS BUILDUP ON MY HAIR.:confused:

sareca

renae226 said:
I THINK BRAIDS DO PROTECT THE HAIR SHAFT FROM HARD WATER. I AM CURRENTLY ON THE CROWN AND GLORY CHALLENGE. HOW OFTEN DO YOU WAS YOUR HAIR WHEN YOUR HAIR IS IN INDIVIDUAL BRAIDS?:perplexed I'M WASHING MY HAIR ONCE A WEEK, AND ON FRIDAY I TOOK NE OUT BCAUSE IT HAD SLIPPED SO FAR DOWN. AND THERE WAS BUILDUP ON MY HAIR.:confused:

I wash or cowash every 2-3 days. I usually have a lot of buildup, but I use Robin's method for takedown to keep the breakage to a minimum. The buildup doesn't bother me as long as I can keep it from resulting in breakage.

cmw45

I'm in college and am definitely expeirencing this...so much so that I'm going to get cornrowed (with a little hair added in) to help with the stress on the hair shaft. When I'm not braided up, I'm thinking of using this really cheap water that my school sells (they have thier own spring...why the don't run the school on this I don't know.)...I mean, it's only a $1 for a couple of gallons so...

I'll update to let you know if it works anybetter...