Question for first time straightening natural hair

coyacoy

Hi ladies! Ok, so I have been natural for going on two years now, and haven't straightened my hair in over a year. I plan to do so this weekend just to see what it looks like. So, here's my question - is it ok to apply a leave in condish, moisturizer and JBCO to seal ends before the heat protectant (which i plan to apply just before blow drying and flat ironing)? I've listed my plan below - let me know if any red flags! thanks in advance for any tips!:spinning:
  1. wash, dc under steamer or dryer (btw, i henna'd today as well)
  2. apply leave in condish
  3. apply moisturizer = Qhemet AHC
  4. seal ends with JBCO
  5. Apply CHI oil and then blow dry on low with cover
  6. Flat iron

i think AOHC and JBCO might both be too heavy to use before straightening, but thats just my opinion.

Last edited:
thanks! Do you think it will make it more difficut to straighten? or sizzle the hair? i guess i am mostly struggling with what/how to moistuize before doing it....that is assuming the chi oil won't be enough....

i thin AOHC and JBCO might both be too heavy to use before straightening, but thats just my opinion.

One of the things I've learned about straightening is less is more - the more product that is applied prior to straightening always seems to adversely hinder the end result.

ETA: Let your main source of moisture come from your DC.

thanks! Do you think it will make it more difficut to straighten? or sizzle the hair? i guess i am mostly struggling with what/how to moistuize before doing it....that is assuming the chi oil won't be enough....

some people say you shouldnt use oil when straighten hair because it can literally fry your hair...but then some people only use oils to straighten...if you're talking about chi silk infusion, thats not an oil but a mixture of different silicones that coat the hair and provide shine and protection from the heat, and it doesnt moisturize...if you use to many heavy products your hair will be weighed down with no body or "swang"...i suggest using a light leave in before you blowdry and a little of the chi, then use a some of the chi again before you flatiron...your really dont need alot though.
heres a good tutorial:
http://youtu.be/ffjZQQIGelg

some people say you shouldnt use oil when straighten hair because it can literally fry your hair...but then some people only use oils to straighten...if you're talking about chi silk infusion, thats not an oil but a mixture of different silicones that coat the hair and provide shine and protection from the heat, and it doesnt moisturize...if you use to many heavy products your hair will be weighed down with no body or "swang"...i suggest using a light leave in before you blowdry and a little of the chi, then use a some of the chi again before you flatiron...your really dont need alot though.
heres a good tutorial:
http://youtu.be/ffjZQQIGelg
thank you!

I agree w/the other ladies. That's too much product. I would do a leave in and follow up w/whatever heat protectant you plan to use.

I personally would just DC well and then only use a protectant to straighten and seal. Other products IMO get cooked and start to stink, not to mention the fact that applying too many things makes protectant not adhere well on your hair.

If I were blowdrying or rollersetting and then flat ironing, I'd airdry in braids, then use John Frieda Heat Defeat to wet narrow sections which I'd blowdry or wrap on rollers. The reason I'd let my hair airdry first is because I want to KNOW the protectant is applied well by how wet it makes my hair. In other words, if I applied it to damp hair, it'd be easy to not coat my hair well because I'd not know if what I was feeling was just water in some parts without any protection or if the wetness was from protectant. Once my hair was dry again from the blowdrying or rollersetting, I'd take narrow sections again and coat meticulously with John Frieda Thermal Protection Serum before passing the flat iron over it. (When I flatiron, I skip the blowdrying step and just airdry in Curlformers or braids. I then do two flat iron passes. Once with the JFHD spray, then once with the serum.)

The JFHD spray works as a hydrater and heat protectant and if you DC'd well prior to starting the straightening process, your hair should have plenty of internal moisture, so you don't need to go crazy with products.

westNDNbeauty shares her straightening method which emphasizes DCing well here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=431336

Last edited:
I agree. That's a whole lot of product.

I only use my DC and a heat protectant/moisturizer (Nioxin Therman Bliss).

Back