Question for midback ladies

lipyt

Did you trim along the way? Or were you more focused on growing now and trimming once you reached your goal?? I can't seem to pass BS!!

Did you trim along the way? Or were you more focused on growing now and trimming once you reached your goal?? I can't seem to pass BS!!

I seldom trim, and when I do, it's after I have passed a major goal length. Right now, I am at MBL, and challenging myself to see how long I can go without trimming...and still have decent-looking ends. :drunk:

I suggest protecting/moisturizing your ends and trimming only as needed. Then, you'll reach your goal.

Last edited:
I trimmed after I reached my goal. But I had nice even ends. If they were raggedy, I would have trimmed them off.

Good thread I was wondering if I should trim or wait until I reach my goal, I just had a major hair cut in aug and another major cut before that, and I'm dusting, so hopefully this will stretch out my trimming until I reach atleast midback.....I hope some more midback ladies post.......

bumping for more responses...
And also MB Ladies, did you stretch to get to your goals or (assuming you're permed/texlaxed) did you perm every 6 six weeks (or what ever) like normal? Did you wear mostly protective styles? And how lond did it take you to go from BS to MB?

And also MB Ladies, did you stretch to get to your goals or (assuming you're permed/texlaxed) did you perm every 6 six weeks (or what ever) like normal? Did you wear mostly protective styles? And how lond did it take you to go from BS to MB?

I reached MBL while transitioning, but before that, I was always a major stretcher ranging anywhere from 12-28 weeks.

I lightly dusted my ends twice a year (every 6 months) and this really helped me to maintain a great deal of my length.

I only trimmed a few times along the way. Only because I had no splits and I was trying to slowly but surely get rid of the thin ends. I don't plan on doing anymore trimming until I reach a comfortable WL and then I will work on the bluntness. I tried stretching past 12 weeks but it isn't for me. Caused more harm than good so now I don't go past 9 or 10 weeks and my hair is loving me for it.

ETA: I bun 99% of the time which is totally the reason I was retaining my length and not having split ends. I think it took me 3 months to go from BSL to MBL.

Last edited:

For the most part, I stretched my touchups to between 8 and 14 weeks and wore mostly protective/low manipulation styles. I think it took about 8 months (from BSL) to be solidly at MBL.

I trim as needed usually anywhere from every other relaxer to 3 relaxers. I think maybe you should reevaluate what you are doing to your hair and what may be hindering your progress. As your length changes, I believe it's good to do this. What I could do at sl I can't now, and I have to be realistic about practices that are damaging. I had to look again at what I do when I was passing BSL.

I trim as needed. I don't hold on to ends just for the sake of length.

ditto! If I remain at one length longer, then I just will

And also MB Ladies, did you stretch to get to your goals or (assuming you're permed/texlaxed) did you perm every 6 six weeks (or what ever) like normal? I went a little short of 3 months last summer, but I normally relax every 8-10 weeks

Did you wear mostly protective styles? I rollerset and wear my hair out once or twice and ps until next wash
And how lond did it take you to go from BS to MB? not really sure, just noticed after the little stretch I did that my hair was at that length. I don't get into measuring, regular pictures, etc. refuse to drive myself crazy with that when all I really need to do is take care of it an leave it alone. I avoid things that will result in splits/damage for me like using direct heat on my relaxed hair and coloring. In the past I have let my stylist blowdry my hair for a trim but I have stopped that.

I trim as needed which is usually twice per year. I learned the hard way that you gotta get rid of raggedy dead ends.
It makes such a big difference in how my hair lays and falls back into place once straightened; And I no longer have a problem with frizzy, crunchy ends once I learned to keep them damage-free.

I only trimmed a few times along the way. Only because I had no splits and I was trying to slowly but surely get rid of the thin ends. I don't plan on doing anymore trimming until I reach a comfortable WL and then I will work on the bluntness. I tried stretching past 12 weeks but it isn't for me. Caused more harm than good so now I don't go past 9 or 10 weeks and my hair is loving me for it.

ETA: I bun 99% of the time which is totally the reason I was retaining my length and not having split ends. I think it took me 3 months to go from BSL to MBL.

Only 3 months?

:yay: I can do that.

I believe in trimming which has been a problem for me:nono:. I like good looking ends. I was thinking about trimming this weekend. But I'll wait until the end of the month.

I've been on a no cutting challenge where I don't cut for 2 months and at that time I let someone else cut my hair. Dh is the unlucky person this month (he better not mess up).
:nono::nono::lachen::lachen::lachen:I'm too afraid to let SO anywhere near my hair.

Only 3 months?

:yay: I can do that.

Depending on where you hair is hitting your bra strap it is certainly possible. I didn't consider myself BSL to my hair touched the bottom of my bra so I only had 2 inches to go to get to midback.

:nono::nono::lachen::lachen::lachen:I'm too afraid to let SO anywhere near my hair.

Depending on where you hair is hitting your bra strap it is certainly possible. I didn't consider myself BSL to my hair touched the bottom of my bra so I only had 2 inches to go to get to midback.

I think he's scarred.:giggle:

I'm a little past my bra, just a little. So I would consider myself full BSL. I measured 2" to MBL and about 2-2.5" from MBL to waist.

dlewis thinking "If I had never cut my hair":ohwell:

I'm a little past my bra, just a little. So I would consider myself full BSL. I measured 2" to MBL and about 2-2.5" from MBL to waist.

Right, everytime i see a new cut in your siggy pic, my heart drop for a moment like, "Why did she do it?" :spank:

Even though I want to, I aint touching this with a 10 foot pole:rolleyes::lol:

I trimmed along the way. I'm consistent in my trims. I get them every three months and trim only 1/2 an inch.

I trimmed after I reached my goal. But I had nice even ends. If they were raggedy, I would have trimmed them off.
Me too, I trim after I reach my goals are a little past. Trimming isn't something that I worry to much about. I notice that the people who trim a lot their hair, although looks really nice, but it isn't able to grow as much.

This is how I am too. I am at the bottom of my brastrap so I estimate 2" to MBL and 2" to WL. If I wouldn't have gotten an unnecessary trim after my last relaxer, I think I would be past the bra now. :wallbash: I'm going to dust this year and hopefully avoid the need for major trims.

Last edited:
I am past the bottom of bra strap now. When I first started my journey, I did not trim at all for a year and my hair was ALWAYS in a PS so it didn't matter anyway. Then I started trimming as needed. I'm trying to decide whether to continue trimming as needed or do another year long no trimming challenge (which I think gets you over the humps) to get to WL. So in the end I'd say, whatever trimming schedule you have, you can switch up it to suit your goals of say retaining more length or having an even hemline at APL, BSL or whatever.

Back