Question for all BS and MBL Ladies!!!

seraphim712

Hi Ladies,

I've come to the point when my hair has made it to APL and now is a challenge to break into the BS - MBL stage; if feels like my hair has been APL for a couple of years now. My question to you all is, how long did it take for you to make it to BS/MBL from APL and what techniques did you have to apply in order to reach that goal? How did you maintain the ends to keep them from requiring a trim/ and is it necessary to get a trim at all? (the trimming is what's bothering me the most since I feel that it keeps me from obtaining my goal)

I realize that this question is reoccurring, so if there are previous threads that can help with answers, please post them here as well.

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:

cheryl26

I was shoulder length around sep-oct of last year and was mbl in feb of this year. I didn't pay attention to when I was apl. I was trimming split ends when bored but it's so tedious so I just cut off 1/2 inch after every flat iron which I've done three times this year. I never trimmed my hair before that but now I've started putting it up in a high clip at night. During the day I still wear it out though. If you have fine hair and flat iron I'd say trim it, my ends looked terrible. O and at night I've started putting olive oil on my ends to see if it preserves them.

seraphim712

I was shoulder length around sep-oct of last year and was mbl in feb of this year. I didn't pay attention to when I was apl. I was trimming split ends when bored but it's so tedious so I just cut off 1/2 inch after every flat iron which I've done three times this year. I never trimmed my hair before that but now I've started putting it up in a high clip at night. During the day I still wear it out though. If you have fine hair and flat iron I'd say trim it, my ends looked terrible. O and at night I've started putting olive oil on my ends to see if it preserves them.

Thanks for your input.

I do flat iron, but I try to keep it to a minimum of three times a year; my biggest issue are the ends of my hair; I keep my hair in a bun or twists most of the time, but I think I need to start applying oil to the ends every night as well.

lana

I apply oil to the ends of my hair everyday and bun.

I think that and using Mane & Tail Conditioner (NOT MTG, but the actual conditioner bottle that you by for 3.99 at walmart or CVS/Rite Aid) as a prepoo and leave in has helped me retain length and get to BSL. I'm edging towards below BSL and then on to MBL...but that's the longest I want my hair EVER.

Turn the heat down, seal the ends, trim regularly - meaning whenever they look like they need to be trimmed and protective style. I do not comb and brush my hair, I finger comb. When I wear it down I roll it with flexi rod rollers. Works for me!

Oh and I texlax and stretch that. So I believe that's all helped me retain and grow!!!

Vitamin: Miracle 2000 at GNC for $29.99 - It's worth it!

AlliCat

Last year around this time I was grazing APL...then I made full brastrap in december...so it took about 7 months...I protective styled (halfwigs) like crazy during that time. Also upped my cowashes and DC sessions. Oh I also took biotin (inconsistently).

Congrats on making APL good luck with BSL & MBL :)

OH I almost forgot...I didn't trim my hair at all...my last trim was a blunt one to full SL and I haven't had one since then....my ends are still in good chape because I oil them all the time and keep my hair up

LadyAmani

It took me five months to get to bsb from apl, what got me there really was aphogee 2 min every week and Aphogee keratin and green tea mist three times a week i have to keep protein in my hair or it will tangle up badly.

seraphim712

It took me five months to get to bsb from apl, what got me there really was aphogee 2 min every week and Aphogee keratin and green tea mist three times a week i have to keep protein in my hair or it will tangle up badly.

My hair does this; I wonder if I need to increase my protein as my hair tangles badly as well; drinking water is another MUST DO for me as well...it's just so hard to.

However, I notice that it takes an average of 5-6 months to make it to bsl for most ladies who posted here. I will take a picture of my hair now and post it for viewing later on tonight.

EbonyCPrincess

I claimed APL in June of last year and am still not at BSL...I'm anticipating I will get there in September which would be 15 months. Just to give you some perspective from someone who is taking a little longer. Right now I'm half wiggin' it for the final inches and I do not trim very often (about 2-3 times per year).

Forever in Bloom

I just made BSL this month - or last month - I'm not sure. I stay in protective styles, so I just stretched a section of hair in the back today :look:

I made APL at the beginning of September 2010. So it took me about 7-8 months, but I did do a massive search and destroy back in March of this year which took off some length.

I pretty much rotate back and forth between mini twists and crochet braids. I never wear my hair down when it is in mini twists. They are always styled with the ends tucked away.

I no longer deep condition for hours on end each week. Prior to detangling, I apply coconut oil and go to sleep. I detangle the next morning with nothing but conditioner and my Denman (no Tangle Teezer anymore)

I only shampoo once a month, deep condition for 20-30 minutes with just a processing cap (I don't use a dryer or steamer anymore), and use ACV after rinsing it out.

I slap a leave-in on and braid hair in about 8 sections to stretch out hair without heat. I allow my hair to air dry and then start twisting the next day after applying a cream moisturizer (Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer), or if I am doing crochet braids I'll cornrow my hair.

Doing my hair this way and just leaving it alone for a month at a time has worked wonders. I'm in the HYH challenge, so I have been serious about keeping my hair hidden.

During the winter months, I swear my hair didn't grow. It really ticked me off. Then all of a sudden - BAM! I'm at BSL :blush: It took me forever to get to APL, and then a matter of months to make it to BSL. It can really drive you crazy :hammer:

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
for me BSL is actually the easiest length. i locked my hair in Feb '10 and i was APL. i took the locs out at the beginning of Sept '10 and my hair was BSL. i then cut it back to APL in Oct '10 and i'm BSL again.

SuchaLady

Im hovering at APL-ish now and its plucking my nerves. I think I can get there by the end of the year but I am thinking that I need to increase my protein. I just dont want to do a protein treatment and then have that not be the problem and cause another issue :rolleyes:

SmilingElephant

I think I'm gonna use some if these tips. I'm going on 5 months post in June and my hair feels heavier in my wash n go's. Like.....my curls suh-wang :lol: both wet and dry.

I'm gonna start back oiling my ends everyday like I did when I was relaxed. And doing twists in the fall/winter.

I'm only doing length checks every 6 months so I'm at collar bone length last time I checked. So....we'll see in July when I do a blowout :D

LaFemmeNaturelle

Apl to BSL took around 5 months. Bsl to mbl took about 3-4. I was co-washing multiple times a week and protective styling probably 90% of the time. I got 1 trim in between the time (12 weeks after I reached full apl). I don't have fast growth or anything, I'm just able to retain all of my growth through low manipulation and protective styling...and bsl and mbl aren't that far apart for me.

CrissieD

I cut my hair to SL 4/2010 and I'm BSL now. My hair is in a PS 80-90% of the time. I do need a trim now after which I will probably still be BSL since I am slightly past it now.

Kurlee

1.5 years. to get over humps, I protective styles with bunning and kinky sew-ins, trimming bi-annually

bimtheduck

My biggest mistake from apl tombl was avoiding trims. I went 2 yrs w/o a trim and that was not good. My thin, scraggily ends would make detangling a nightmare and caused a lot of breakage so that when I did get a trim in March i went from mbl back to bsl. I should have been getting sm trims every 6 months. I will defintely be keeping up w my trims now!

DarkandLovely

It took me 4 months to go from APL to BARELY BSL--I mean only a few strands touching but I claimed it :lol:. I haven't straightened my hair (I'm texlaxed and airdry) but by a stretch length check I'm claiming full MBL ~1 yr later from APL. [by the way I'm 5'8--I think height in addition to growth rate plays a large role in how long it takes you to achieve certain lengths]

I decided not to trim and only dust which is hard for me b/c I love the blunt ends looks and unfortunately my hair grows in a W shaped :nono: but I was determined not to trim away all of my progress. I initially trimmed from APL to full shoulder (to get ride of overprocessed ends) then back to full APL...I haven't trimmed since. I plan my next 2-3 in trim when I reach WL.

I think what's helped me most (b/c mind you before I started APL was long to me and never thought I'd reach BSL let along MBL) but I believe protective styling, minimizing direct heat, low manipulation, moisturizing, baggying, and not trimming have helped me to retain my growth.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Took me about 5 months from APL to BSL. Protective styling is my thing. Not being excessive with regi hauling and product trying. Keeping to a basic regi and being consistent.