Question for Natural Ladies

Mom23

Hi Ladies,
My daughter has natural 4a hair and I need some help. As her hair is getting longer, (she's 5 and stretched it is mid back) and thicker I need some recommendations on what to use on her hair. What do you ladies shampoo and condition with that makes it easy to detangle? That is the hardest part for me. She sometimes gets little knots or snags on the ends and I gave her a trim yesterday so that has helped.

I'm going to keep her hair natural until she is old enough to decide what she wants to do with it. I am trying to learn as much as I can about natural hair now, so I can let her know her options as she gets older.

I currently wash her hair once a week with Elucence or NTM, condition, and then braid. I use Profective Break Free when I braid her hair, but I thought maybe you could give some suggestions of something better?? Thanks for your help ladies!!

natstar

I actually use Elucence too, but I heard Creme of Nature is good. I think whatever poo and condish u decide to use make sure it the moisturizing kind and always section off the hair 4 or 6 sects held with clips and detangle with a wide tooth comb under running water. And also I know when my hair is really tangled, I do a pre-poo treatment of some oils (any oils really) or some type of thick cream (I use Qhemet Amla & Olive on damp hair) let that sit for 15-30 min then I poo. It makes things a lot easier. I know with a 5 year old the pre-poo may not be an option but the sectioning off part will help.

Last edited:

jasmine26

for braiding try qhemet's amla oil heavy cream! the softness and moisture it gives is the best product i've tried!

for detangling, try their olive oil instant detangling cream! i got my mom who is a natural 4b addicted to this! it's works likes majic to detangle!

SignatureBeauty

What works for me is the Suave for Kids Line, My daighter has really thick hair that gets tangled bad.

I use Suave Kids 2in1 Shampoo Followed with the Go Go Grape Detangler Conditioner and then when I am ready to Comb I use the Suave for kids Detangling Spray and this works great for me and is good on my wallet and I can get it in the store anytime.

This line has been a lifesaver for me, You can use the Detangler spray on wet or dry hair.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
The products you are using now sound great even though I haven't tried any of these products myself.

Creme of Nature Regular Formula for Normal Hair is great for shampooing, and detangling surprisingly. LeKair Cholesterol Plus works for me too...at least the old formula did because the new formula they have made with more ingredients didn't work well with my hair...so I use Suave Humectant or Jason Naturals Biotin as a conditioner. S-Curl is a good moisturizer. HTH!

angellazette

I know Qhemet's Olive Cream detangler works well with my knots. Put some on dry hair, work through with my fingers and they're gone.

billyne

Poohbear said:
The products you are using now sound great even though I haven't tried any of these products myself.

Creme of Nature Regular Formula for Normal Hair is great for shampooing, and detangling surprisingly. LeKair Cholesterol Plus works for me too...at least the old formula did because the new formula they have made with more ingredients didn't work well with my hair...so I use Suave Humectant or Jason Naturals Biotin as a conditioner. S-Curl is a good moisturizer. HTH!

I use both of those products too!! that Creme of Nature is wonderful!!:)

sweetascocoa

angellazette said:
I know Qhemet's Olive Cream detangler works well with my knots. Put some on dry hair, work through with my fingers and they're gone.
this is the best detangler ive ever used. and ive tried nearly everything. even the kiddie ones. i also heard baby love is good but i never used it

carameldiva

Liquid Castile soap is a good option- it is gentle and natural- i usually get the Trader Joe's one or i go to www.thechemistrystore.com to purchase it. You can also try the dr.bronner's version or dr. woods- you can find these at www.myvitanet.com . In terms of conditioners- trader Joe's has some great ones- essential and refresh are too that i tried and liked. I also love the saloncare shampoo and conditioner at sally's bss it is very gentle. Hope this helps.