Question: Moisture vs. Slip

CarLiTa

I"m having problems with my hair, mainly that it's too dry and I dont know how to fix it...

DivineInspiration sent me some Nexxus products and I really liked the Therappe shampoo, it's not greasy like CON but definitely moisturizing. Now the thing is, the Nexxus Humectress. I seem to be the only person not to be crazy about it. I read recently that it was very moisturizing but if u were looking for slip, then it's not the product for you...

that's where I get confused... how do you know that a conditioner is moisturizing when it doesn't give great slip? b/c whenever I think of moisturizing conditioner, i think slip slip slip, like Suave Humectant that everyone seems to not like :look:

Now i'm thinking, since my hair is giving me so much trouble with the dryness... could it be that the products giving me SLIP aren't really giving me MOISTURE?
It's because of this problem that my list of products isn't fixed. I have a regimen but i just need the products to fit so I can stop experimenting... So far, the most moisturizing products seem to be Nexxus, Biolage, and Kenra, Elucence, and CON. Any recommendations? Any advice on how to end the dryness?

pink_flower

I don't think moisture and slip are the same thing. For me I know my hair is moisturized when its soft, silky and not breaking. I can run a comb through it and not hear the snapping/ popping of hairs.

Slip is not a necessity it's just an added bonus for a conditioner. You can get slip from some instant conditioners or rinses( dominican, detanglers) but its not necessarily moisturizing. I look for moisture and slip in a conditioner(for convience) but in the past I've used a conditioner that I found moisturizing but didn't provide any slip, so I used a detangling rinse after.

I hope that wasn't confusing. Anyways overall I just concentrate on how my hair looks and feels after it dries b/c sometimes a conditioner will have amazing slip but after a day or 2 my hair is dry.

CarLiTa

thanx for your reply Pinkflower... and yes that is what i'm experiencing: great slip during the conditioning and two days later, hair is dry again, so i'm thinking, is it that the slip-giving conditioner isn't providing moisture for real? :confused:

What conditioners provide both slip AND moisture? come to think of it,moisture is the most important factor in this whole haircare thing. I should just focus on a VERY moisturizing conditioner, even if the slip isn't too great,and i'll just use leave-ins for slip. Is that a good plan? :confused:

mkstar826

supersonic
IA w/ pink_flower.

I always focus on moisture more than slip. I like both but if it's great for moisture and has minimal slip, I'll still use it. But most of the time the ones that give you awesome slip don't do jack for moisture.

Divine Inspiration

CarLiTa said:
I"m having problems with my hair, mainly that it's too dry and I dont know how to fix it...

DivineInspiration sent me some Nexxus products and I really liked the Therappe shampoo, it's not greasy like CON but definitely moisturizing. Now the thing is, the Nexxus Humectress. I seem to be the only person not to be crazy about it. I read recently that it was very moisturizing but if u were looking for slip, then it's not the product for you...

that's where I get confused... how do you know that a conditioner is moisturizing when it doesn't give great slip? b/c whenever I think of moisturizing conditioner, i think slip slip slip, like Suave Humectant that everyone seems to not like :look:

Now i'm thinking, since my hair is giving me so much trouble with the dryness... could it be that the products giving me SLIP aren't really giving me MOISTURE?
It's because of this problem that my list of products isn't fixed. I have a regimen but i just need the products to fit so I can stop experimenting... So far, the most moisturizing products seem to be Nexxus, Biolage, and Kenra, Elucence, and CON. Any recommendations? Any advice on how to end the dryness?
Hey mama! For me, there's a difference between moisture and slip. Sometimes I get one and not the other...the magic is when I get both. I've found that NTM DDC gives me both. Like you've heard, Humectress is wonderful for moisturizing the hair, but you may have to apply more detangler after you rinse or add more detangling potion to the con in order to get slip.
For me, slip is the ease with which I detangle and how my hair feels when I'm rinsing. Is it smooth? Is my hair nice and soft?
Mosture, on the other hand, is how well my hair holds the conditioning properties after the conditioner is rinsed. Sometimes you can tell as you're rinsing con that the hair will be DRY as the Sahara Desert once you finish. Other times it's not so obvious until after you've styled and your hair is a lil parched.
So you didn't get slip from Humectress...did you get moisture? That's where you want to stack your chips b/c you can totally deal with less slip. That's why you have products like Elasta QP H-Two, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, and other add-to-conditioner-concoction type detanglers. If the con is upping the moisture quotient, I say stick with it.
Did you try Keraphix and Humectress together after pooing with Therappe?? This is a no lose situation for me every time I do it.
Also, are you clarifying regularly? If not, you probably won't get much moisture or slip because there's too much buildup for your cons to be effective...

Just a few thoughts...

{DI}

Oh yeah, I'm gonna :spank: you if you drop outta this Christmas Stretch...you've only got 3 weeks to go!!! Haaaaaaaaang in there... :D

dlewis

1. I would recommend clarifing to remove any buildup.
2. Find an oil that works for your hair.
3. When I think of slip I think of cones. When using cones you will need to clarify more often because they are not good for most hair types.
4.What look are you trying to achieve. I wear my hair in a bun most of the time, so slip is not that important when wearing the hair in a bun, but when I wear it loose (down) I need more slip to style it.
5. But alway remember to clarify.

pink_flower

Well I don't wanna send you on a PJ rampage! LOL! I know you are trying to simplify, but most of the products you mention (eluence, biolage etc) have prodvided moisture for most people. Another good one you might like is Keracare Humecto, also Biolage has a ULTRA hydrating balm for more drier hair types. You might do a search for some more recs or maybe someone else will chime in.

But if you do find a good moisturizing conditioner that doesn't provide good slip, it would be okay to let your leave-ins do the detangling too.

I also wasn't a fan of Humectress, mainly because it didn't provide any slip but I kept using it just to get rid of it. Overtime I saw it greatly improved the health of my hair and kept it moisturized for days. So you never know.

I know longer use Humectress b/c I was obessed with finding the perfect conditioner that has moisture and slip which I finally found in Keracare Humecto.

CarLiTa

Thanx everyone!!! I was just reading through some old threads, seeing what ppl said about the product lines I mentioned etc... but what I realized is, if I go into trying those other lines, I'll never accomplish what I'm looking for, SIMPLICITY... i'll still be trying to find the next big thing.

*takes a deep breath* i'm so indecisive, I haven't made up my mind as to which line to stick to yet. The jury is still out for Nexxus, so I need to use it some more before making my decision.

Divine, girl, u gave me so much stuff and I want to test it all and it's hard b/c it's so much stuff! lol i'm like ok, i need to try this but I also need to try that. I absolutely love the DDTA! I really like the Therappe (doesn't coat the hair too much)
Can I tell you a secret? I have the feeling that I'm going to become a leave-in conditioner whore :lol: Frankly I love leave-ins... I also like the Keraphix. I dont clarify as often anymore, since I was trying to get rid of my dry hair woes :ohwell:

The look I'm trying to acheive: well i'll be wearing buns for another month or so. Then after my touch-up, I will be roller-setting every weekend, hopefully. For my mid-week wash or cowash, I will airdry. Like I said, I'm stacking on the leave-in :grin:

DivineI, I finally had the time to go by this BSS in downtown, I saw the 16oz (I think) bottles of Humectress and Therappe TOGETHER for $15! Good price, but like I said, the jury is still out :look:

Last edited:

CarLiTa

:lol: Divine, I have a few events to go to two weeks before my touch-up (concert, dance, interview) so i think it's a better idea to relax early than to use heat or to go with my hair looking funky. I dont know if I can pull off a braidout for any of the events, especially with how unmanageable my hair likes to get.

I haven't added EVOO to the Humectress yet. I should try that tomorrow for my wash.

Divine Inspiration

CarLiTa said:
I'll never accomplish what I'm looking for, SIMPLICITY... i'll still be trying to find the next big thing.

Divine, girl, u gave me so much stuff and I want to test it all and it's hard b/c it's so much stuff! lol i'm like ok, i need to try this but I also need to try that. I absolutely love the DDTA! I really like the Therappe (doesn't coat the hair too much)
Can I tell you a secret? I have the feeling that I'm going to become a leave-in conditioner whore :lol: Frankly I love leave-ins... I also like the Keraphix. I dont clarify as often anymore, since I was trying to get rid of my dry hair woes :ohwell:

DivineI, I finally had the time to go by this BSS in downtown, I saw the 16oz (I think) bottles of Humectress and Therappe TOGETHER for $15! Good price, but like I said, the jury is still out :look:

Hey girlie...

I'm glad you're enjoying the goodies!! I just tried to put a lil of everything in there. I know you're in the experimental phase so I figured none of those products would be going to waste. I knew you'd give them a good home. ;)

I'm glad you like the DDTA. It's one of my absolute favorites and I figured you'd have some success with it. I'm a leave-in fiend too girl..nothing wrong with that. We can start a club b/c I know Sylver2 likes to layer them leave-ins up too :lol: Throw the LI up! :lol:

As far as clarifying is concerned, if you're using a con/leave-in/serum that's packed with cones, it's a good idea to clarify regularly. Which clarfying poo/con were you using?? Have you ever tried Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree poo & con...it's WONDERFUL, to me anyway. If you haven't tried it, I'll send you some.

Girl, I am VERY glad you found Nexxus at a reasonable price b/c those prices you mentioned in the PM had me like :eek: They oughta be shot for chargin those exorbitant prices!!!

Lemme know which line you decide to commit to...this should be an interesting journey for you. And lemme know about the Paul Mitchell too... :look:

scoobygirl

You're dead on about products that provide slip not necessarily providing mositure. It took me a while to figure that out. I got turned onto the Kenra/Eulence combo back in April and really love it. Dryness is an ongoing problem with me so I always have to have an arsenal ready to fight it.

For Leave-ins: Rusk Smoother (doesn't provide much slip for me but gives me alot of nice moisture as it dries on my wet hair)

Biolage Daily Leave-in (gives great slip but not sure on the moisture. Sometimes I combine it with Rusk when it's close to touch-up time and I can't comb through my hair easily.)

Pre-poo (when needed): Aubrey Organics GPB or Honeysuckle Rose (these both make my hair shiny and moisturized when applied to my hair 15 min before wash, oddly enough they don't do anything as stand alone conditioners)

***To remove build up and keep conditoners working, I'm still looking for the perfect Chelator/Clarifyer. Found out through an informative thread posted a few weeks ago, these arent the same thing.

When poo/ and conditioners (rinse out and leave-in) are working great, I find that I really don't need anything else.

zoya_j

Ok, so I will have to revisit humectress & humecto because I was mistaking slip as a sign of moisture (humectress added great slip & moisture when I was natural). What if you used the moisturizing con first followed by the con for slip? Wouldn't the cones in the one used for slip seal in the moisture of the moisturizing one?

Neroli

I'll take moisture any day, which is prolly why nexxus humectress is my holy grail condish -- superb moisture, every time. I LOVE the nexxus classic line (therappe, humectess, keraphix, headress, emergencee) because no cones. I was using these products long before LHCF.

I first heard about "slip" when i got to the hair boards and never really "got" why important so long as hair is healthy?? :rolleyes: IMO, most condish with lots of slip usually have a lot of cones, which is why hair "feels" good at first, but ends up drier in a few days, and with repeated use, buildup. REAL moisture may not feel slick immediately, but lasts for days. In general:

Slip = cones
Mositure = no cones