Question re: Braids for Growth

Julia

If you want to use braids as a protective style, but more importantly to assist you to gain length, how long would you recommend keeping them in?

When would you put them in? (i.e. two weeks after a touch up etc). /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

HOTCHOCOLATE

I'm doing twists and kept it in for 2 months. I'm going to try and wait at least 2 wks before I retouch and I'll probably wait 3-4 wks after retouch. Semi-Crown n Glory Tech.

Kamilla16

I would recommend...

you get braids about 3-4 weeks after you touch-up. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm no expert, but my mom has done braids for over 11 years!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif and I would recommend you keep your braids in for 3 months at the MAX. Believe me, My hair grows sooo FAST when I have braids. Hope this helps /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Karima /images/graemlins/cool.gif

hairfanatic

Hey HOTCHOCOLATE,

I have a few questions...are your twists with extensions or your natural hair? If they are with extensions, are they easy to take down? And...what type of hair do you use for your twists?

HOTCHOCOLATE

Hairfanatic, /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, it's was with extensions. I used human hair Afro Kinky from the Janet Collection. I thought it was very easy compared to braids. My twists stayed moist. Every night I would spray a mixture of glycerin, infusium, ess. oil and water on each twist. When I took the twists down, I also saturated each twist with my mixture. It took me 5 hours to remove---that could be long for some, but this was my first time removing any twists.

Has anyone seen the Disney show "RAVEN", I'm thinking of having my hair plaited like the mother for next time---or probably twists again.

hairfanatic

Thanks HOTCHOCOLATE. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I know you are going to kill me about all these questions but...I gotta ask. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Did you do the twists yourself? If you did, about how many packs of hair did you get and what was the cost (if you don't mind me asking)? Also that mixture you made sounds moisturizing...can you give the amount recipe...Pleeeease I know you already have it patented. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

HOTCHOCOLATE

No problem Girl, /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I had my twists done at a braiding shop $180. I hair costed $29/bag--3 bags. The mixture:
---2 oz glycerin
---2 oz infusium leave-in (damaged hair)
---4 oz water (spring)
---2 dropperful KeraCare Ess. Oil (sometimes Jojoba)

Thats it. Don't haste ask! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

hairfanatic

Thank you so much HOTCHOCOLATE,

This spray you made sounds awesome! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I definately want to try it.

Zola

HOTCHOCOLATE

I hope you guys don't mind me stepping in on this one, but I have a question for you about your twists. I'm interested in getting them but I don't quite understand how your hair manages to "stay put" in them /images/graemlins/confused.gif. I guess what I mean is, do you have to worry much about the ends of your natural hair sticking out? Thanks for any help that you or anyone else can provide. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Faith

Hi Hotchocolate,
I was wondering what your opinions were about the Keracare Essential oils hair oil? Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HOTCHOCOLATE

Zola,

I didn't notice any of my ends sticking out until the last 2wks that I had them in. I did have some slipping, but that was due to the washing and deep moisturizing cond. I did every week---also my mixture every night. I wanted to make sure my hair was moisturized because when I've done braids/weaves my hair was a dried frizzy mess.

Also, if you or Hairfanatic decide to do twists, make sure the sections are not small. You get product build-up at the base and it's harder to remove on small sections.

HOTCHOCOLATE

Faith,

To be honest, I havn't used it enough to form an opinion. I purchased this a long while ago(5mon?) and I found this when I was cleaning out my cabinet. I know, I'm sorry /images/graemlins/blush.gif.
I'm serious, it was a full bottle when I found it and sofar I've only used 4 dropperful (I made my mixture twice). /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I've used the Keracare essential oils. It has a nice, light fruity scent. The ingredients are:

sunflower seed oil, peanut oil, castor oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, sesame oil, aloe vera oil, almond oil, olive oil, perfume, propylparaben, bha.

IMO, it's no better than African Royale Hot Six Oil or Proclaim Natural 7 when you consider the price (around $20 for 8 oz.). And the other two have more impressive ingredient lists.

Faith

Thanks Hotchocolate. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks sassygirl, have you used Kemi oyl before? I'm trying to compare it to kemi oyl which also has essential oils. Thanks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Faith

Hi Julia,

I would say leave them 3 months. I always notice growth after 3 months. 1 month is way too soon..for me. And 2 months is just not enough. If I could get away with 4 months I would..lol! And definitely putting them in 2 weeks after a relaxer is a'ight. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Be sure to post pics after you get them done. /images/graemlins/smile.gif